The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Timing belt replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96_gsx

Probationary Member
Oct 13, 2013
Fargo, North_Dakota
Just got a 96 gsx and the previous owner said he didn't know when the timing belt was replaced. Is it true I need a special tool to release the tension and is there anything else I should replace while I do it.

You can do it without the tool. Replace auto tensioner, and all pulleys/tensioner. Balance shaft belt and the tensioner for that. Only reason I say replace them all is because you don't know when the last time it was done.

Where can I find a good kit that I can get both belts and all the pulleys/tensioners

Just got a 96 gsx and the previous owner said he didn't know when the timing belt was replaced. Is it true I need a special tool to release the tension and is there anything else I should replace while I do it.

Yep a 12 mm socket..Special tool indeed;)

I know timing belt is nothing to be cheap about but with all new pulleys and belts of OEM parts it will be over 300$ but I saw a Full kit of everything I need from A1 auto for 100. Is it worth it to spend the extra money or are the A1 timing components reliable.

With timing components it is worth it. If your belt jumps or breaks its going to cost a lot more than 300 dollars to fix the damage. The 300 is worth it in the end.

Jay Racing Timing Belt Tools Kit : JNZ Tuning This tool kit will save you tons of time. Honestly I didn't use the pulley tool, I just went by the alternate method from the vfaq and my tension was within spec.

If you have never done a timing belt I highly suggest reading through a couple vfaq articles before attempting it. Not trying to put you off to it, you can definitely do it on your own, but heading in knowing all the steps from start to finish will be a great help. So you don't have to drop what you are doing to learn the next step.

As for the timing kits you really don't want to stray too far from OEM. I personally use a full Gates kit, tensioner and pulleys included, and I haven't had any problems. I would never buy a cheap kit though.

Had mine completely replaced with oem last year when my water pump failed. If you are going to replace any of the afore mentioned you should replace everything and water pump cause if you don't Murphy's Law is going to come back and bite you in the butt later.

Hey guys, let me jump in real quick.
im in the same boat. but i already have gates W/pump, and Gates Racing Blue Belt. and other tools from extreme psi, im only missing ,new pulleys -tensioner, idler - ect pulleys. I hear Napa carries gates pulleys. Does any one know the part number for them, for a 6 Bolt . Thanks.

i ask, because soooo many, auto parts store employes suck at their jobs.

I got the gates kit with all the above. Not cheap but allot cheaper then oem

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back