The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Timing Belt Replacement Interval

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Just wondering how often I should be changing my timing belt. I know Mitsu recommended every 50k miles. But my engine is stressed much harder than it was ever designed to be. I'm thinking like 15k miles would be more appropriate? It's not a daily driver. Only driven to shows and strip, occasionally work if it's not raining. So it takes 3 years to put 15k miles on it.

I run a Gates belt. I'm currently running the Power Grip (not the blue kevlar). Next time around I'm definitely going to use the Gates blue.

Mitsu spec is 60k. I have doing a 40k for about 15 years now. I will go lower now and likely not mileage based but time based.

I thought I read somewhere that it was 50k for the 420a? I probably read that on the description for a belt as I was shopping. The only reason I worry is because I stress it so much. I know the life gets shortened to some degree, just not sure how much. Do you think 3 years is a good number? Or could I push it to 4? I essentially do 5k miles per year, although that number seems to shrink a bit every year as it sees the public roads less and less

I thought I read somewhere that it was 50k for the 420a? I probably read that on the description for a belt as I was shopping. The only reason I worry is because I stress it so much. I know the life gets shortened to some degree, just not sure how much. Do you think 3 years is a good number? Or could I push it to 4? I essentially do 5k miles per year, although that number seems to shrink a bit every year as it sees the public roads less and less
I forget you're 420a. It may be 50k. Seems low though. Tbelt is so cheap I don't bother pushing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back