The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420A Timing belt replacement (crank pulley)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm1103

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2012
medina, Ohio
I'm replace the timing belt on my 96 talon n/t 420a. I have everything moved out of the way except the crank pulley. I have the center bolt out but the pulley itself and it is not budging. Sorry if i do not use the correct terminology. I have a a jaw puller that attaches to the outer side of the pulley and then screws in the middle to pull it off. My problem is, the part that screws in on the jaw puller goes into the hole where the bolt just came out of and I have nothing to push against to pop the pulley off. Do I need to put something in the hole so I can have something to push against or what? Detailed replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What I did for this, was I screwed the crank bolt back in, but left it loose. Then tighten the puller. Every time the pulley reaches the crank bolt, just back it out a little more and repeat. Eventually you will reach the point to where the pulley comes off.
Hope this helps!

just curious.
What kind of puller are you using to get it off?

He seems to be using the right pulley. He is just confused on how to apply pressure on the pulley, since the crank bolt is not in place.

Actually, that puller has broken one of my pulleys before if I remember correctly.
It has worked for me though.

What I did instead was. I went and bought a steering wheel removal tool.

It looks like a birds foot. Then I screwed three bolts through the puller, into the pulley, and kept switching the screws, since it would pull unevenly. And I would keep my crank bolt in, backing it out as I have previously stated.

Attachments

• Steering_puller2.jpg
    Steering_puller2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 98
Yea, that pulley is pressed on and a three claw puller is needed to pull the pulley off the end. And the pulley needs to be pressed on as well...for the 420A motor...

Dodge loves to make things complicated, but the positive side is that the 420A has no balance shafts.

the reason i asked about what puller he is using is because if he is just using the generic advanced auto parts puller he could potentially damage the thread in the crank like i did.

I have the 3 claw/jaw puller that I am using.

Just to be safe I'm going to ask this question. If I use the bolt and thread it in a few times and apply pressure to it using the puller, could I potentially mess the threads up? I know its going to be a pain to pop off because I don't believe the pulley has ever been off. Rather be safe then sorry.

No. I have done this numerous times. It isn't on there that bad. it just appears that way, I mean, my first time. I tried beating it, torching it, everything short of cutting it. Then i used a puller and it came right off LOL.

OTC makes this tool and it can be ordered from Advance auto parts or other parts stores I am sure. Part #OTC 6667. It is designed just for the 420a and a few other Mopar balancers
Here is a link to it Buy OTC GM/Chrysler Harmonic Balancer Puller OTC6667 at Advance Auto Parts
^^that is the tool that you should use.

Thanks for all the replies, I am going to work on it today. If I have any other questions in the process of replacing the timing belt, I will definitely be posting questions. Thanks

I guess if the pulley was never removed it would be seized on there. Lucky for me, mine comes right off when involved and same with the sprockets.

I guess if the pulley was never removed it would be seized on there. Lucky for me, mine comes right off when involved and same with the sprockets.

Dude, if you have a 420a and the crank pulley comes right off you should be buying a replacement !!! However, your profile suggests you are on a 4g63
The balancer on a 420a has NO KEYWAY and should be press-fit. I have seen 'loose fitting' balancers shear crank bolts and spin t-belts when the crank sprocket slides...
Just a suggestion

Dude, if you have a 420a and the crank pulley comes right off you should be buying a replacement !!! However, your profile suggests you are on a 4g63
The balancer on a 420a has NO KEYWAY and should be press-fit. I have seen 'loose fitting' balancers shear crank bolts and spin t-belts when the crank sprocket slides...
Just a suggestion

Interesting, didn't realize it was a press fit nor did I take notice it was a 420a so that was my error.

I've just had my off enough times that it's an easy slip on/off which is nice. There is no play however.

So I finally got the crank pulley off and now I'm having trouble getting the timing cover itself off. This is my first time replacing a timing belt so please bear with me. I have all the bolts loose but there are 3 bolts that go all the way through the cover. They are too long and keep hitting the engine bay no matter how i try and get them out. Any suggestions?

Well somehow the lower part of the timing belt cover (around the crank pulley) got torn away. I would like to replace it but have no idea where to even get a cover. I know the local parts stores do not carry an item like this.

Those bolts go through the engine mount. You will need to jack the engine up a little and then take the mount out with the bolts still in it. If you pull the bracket back towards the frame rail, with a bunch of twisting and turning you will get it out. You may have to go up and down with the engine until you find the spot that makes it easiest.
As for the cover, your best bet would be to look for someone selling one in the marketplace.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back