The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

timing belt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2alpha

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2006
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have searched the forums on here trying to figure out something I ran into while putting on my timing belt on my rebuilt engine. The problem i came across was..when i try to line uop the timing notches on the cams...i can only get either the two i the center lined with the head or the two on the outside lined with the head. What i mena is when i try and center up the timing notches acording to my manual...the outside notches are about half a tooth too high...same goes for if i line up the outsides...the insides seem to be a half a tooth off...is this a problem...can someone help me?

You'll want to only be looking at the inner two marks on the cam gear. You'll know when they're lined up if you stick a straight edge through the inner two marks and the straight edge passes through the center of both cam gear bolts. Hope this helps.

I use a straight edge and line up all four straight across. Havent had a problem yet doing it that way.

I'm not sure what the proper terminology is, but consider that the belt (and cam gears) have a pattern that goes tooth, gap, tooth, gap,...
The intake cam gear should have the inner mark on a tooth, the exhaust mark should be on a gap.
When these marks are aligned, the top spoke (where the dowel pin is) of the five spoke pattern on each of the gears will point straight up to a tooth on the cam gear which will sit into a gap on the timing belt.
Between these two GAPS on the BELT there should be exactly 15 TEETH on the BELT. With a new belt, this sometimes means that the marks will not be EXACTLY aligned until the belt is under tension.
Hope this helps.

well i'm sure that i have them in the right way because i believe its the intake one that has the sensor attached it the other end of it...therefor leaving the notches in it. correct me if i am wrong. Also i have been using a straight edge to try and line up the teeth but like i said its about a half a tooth off. I really just don't want to mess up my engine haha. but my notches line up tooth with gap. so i don't know yet.

use a straight edge across the center of the cam gear bolts. It's very easy to mistake the location of the hill/valley when eyeballing it trying to find a line across the 4 cam marks. Use the center of the cam bolts and align the marks to that edge.

As yokotobrat and selmerguy said... use a straight edge through cam bolt centers and "inside" marks on the cam sprockets.

The stock cam sprockets (but not the cams) on at least some of our cars were interchangable; so each one has marks on both sides. One is in a tooth "valley", one is on a "peak". Look at one of your cam sprockets. Because of the above, you can't actually run a straight edge through one mark, the bolt center, and then the other mark.

So... use a straight edge through the two bolt centers and the marks on the spockets that are closest to each other (in between the cam bolts).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back