The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Timing Belt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opelgt73

Probationary Member
May 5, 2005
west Lafayette, Indiana
Ok I have searched the forum and maybe I missed it but I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

After sitting for a long time I finally managed to get the engine mount off of my 95 Talon Esi. I removed the old timing belt and the idler pullys that had gone bad. Cleaned up the entire area and began re-assembling.

Here is where the problem came in. When I took the belt off I was an idiot and didn't line up cam timing marks. After the belt was off I also removed the pully on the crank the crank rotated without the cams. At the time I didn't think it would be any problem because most motors (even the other motors that came in this DSM bodystyle) only have two markings on the cam gears. As many of you know this motor has two marks on each cam gear.

So my question is..... how do I know which way to align them? I know it would be easy to have one 180 off, or both 180 off.

Attached is the picture found here

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G-NT.html

These are also the same basic instructions found in the manual, neither answers my question.

Attachments

• 96NT-004.jpg
    96NT-004.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 374
See that centerline in your image, do that with a straight edge and make sure the dowel pins point up at 12 o'clock.
I know there's more to your problem though, hopefully someone can help you finish this up.
Next time follow the VFAQ and you should be all good.

Just as an extra safety pre-caution, make sure none of your pistons are at TDC when you rotate the cams over to avoid bending a valve. Take your spark plugs out and visually confirm that the pistons are at about the middle of they cylinders.

the ones with white paint on them go next to each other on the inside.

"See that centerline in your image, do that with a straight edge and make sure the dowel pins point up at 12 o'clock."

I understand how they must line up in a straight line, but how do I know if one of them isn't rotated 180? The other motors have visible dowel pins, I could not find any visible dowel pins on the cam gears.

the ones with white paint on them go next to each other on the inside.

There is green paint on one side of each of them, did they also use green paint? My car only has 100k and I am assuming given the wear on the belt that it has never been changed.

:talon: You may have to remove the bolts in the center of the cam sprockets enabling you to see the dowel pins. The sprockets and the cam oil seals should be carefully inspected to prevent trouble with your new timing belt.

Defiant - thats exactly what I was looking for. I can't see them visibly like that on my motor so I am guessing the head bolts are larger on mine. I'm going to look under them tonight.

Worked on it this past weekend. I took the cam bolts(sorry I meant cam before) out and found the dowels. After a few fittings and rotations of the motor I got them all set on the right belt teeth. Put it all back together and with a half tank of gas that was over a year old it started right up and ran smoothly! Drove it 180 miles to my new place last night. It is however leaking a little oil out of the cam cover gasket.

But after being taken apart last year and a few periodic garage cleanings, I have somehow misplaced the belt inspection cover. So I will have to find one of those.

Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction!!!

Turbo Talon DL said:
Just as an extra safety pre-caution, make sure none of your pistons are at TDC when you rotate the cams over to avoid bending a valve. Take your spark plugs out and visually confirm that the pistons are at about the middle of they cylinders.

Excellent Post - but it AINT NO EXTRA Safety precaution - It's MANDATORY if you spin Cams with no T Belt!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back