The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G timing belt question/fluidampr questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91mits

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, Texas
ok so someone did my timing belt n i noticed its rubbing somewhere and the belts like all the way to the engine side , runs good, my idler pulley looks weird, i have a pic of it, also why would my fluidampr be rubbing against the timing cover? is there a washer between the dampr and crank sprocket that i forgot about? pics are below

Attachments

• 305821_2501270168363_1151203448_3053617_1158923300_n.jpg
    305821_2501270168363_1151203448_3053617_1158923300_n.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 321520_2501273728452_1151203448_3053620_883989867_n.jpg
    321520_2501273728452_1151203448_3053620_883989867_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 308958_2501275368493_1151203448_3053621_2012000614_n.jpg
    308958_2501275368493_1151203448_3053621_2012000614_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 197
the one between the crank sprocket ...yes.i did. i just want to know why the idler pulley is sitting that way..

Is it making a squealing noise. The pulley looks backwards. I had the same problem with mine where the belt started wearing and it was going towards the engine and squealing and the problem was I put the pulley on backwards. You will probably have to buy a new one if this is the problem because the pulley is hitting the block and now damaged. I switched mine with my old one and fixed the problem once it was put on right.

Is it making a squealing noise. The pulley looks backwards. I had the same problem with mine where the belt started wearing and it was going towards the engine and squealing and the problem was I put the pulley on backwards. You will probably have to buy a new one if this is the problem because the pulley is hitting the block and now damaged. I switched mine with my old one and fixed the problem once it was put on right.

i don't think that idler pulley is backwards, its just not sitting right or something, or the belt is too narrow as its not an oem mitsu belt.

That's bizarre. That idler pulley does look like it's on backward, but I didn't think that was even possible without it being obvious.

EDIT:

Now that I look at it closer, it almost doesn't even look like the correct idler pulley; the lip looks wrong (besides being on the wrong side).

Last edited:
i don't think that idler pulley is backwards, its just not sitting right or something, or the belt is too narrow as its not an oem mitsu belt.

Look at it again. The lip of the idler pulley should be towards the rear and it isn't. Trust me I put mine on wrong and it looked just like this and it caused the same problem. The person that did a timing belt change before me did the same thing so I just put it on the way they did and then I looked at my old motor that had it right and noticed that it was wrong. That is where I would start.

Look at it again. The lip of the idler pulley should be towards the rear and it isn't. Trust me I put mine on wrong and it looked just like this and it caused the same problem. The person that did a timing belt change before me did the same thing so I just put it on the way they did and then I looked at my old motor that had it right and noticed that it was wrong. That is where I would start.

the idler pulley is the 2nd pic...just fyi i don't see how its backwards...dont mke sense..if you have a pic of your set up..### share it

the idler pulley is the 2nd pic...just fyi i don't see how its backwards...dont mke sense..if you have a pic of your set up..### share it

You are correct I'm sorry I meant to say the tensioner pulley the one that is on the left side with the tensioner looks backwards. That is the one that I had backwards on my car also. Sorry I wasn't thinking straight on which pulley. The tensioner pulley looks backwards.

no i can assure u its not...those two holes to set the tension are only on the front

Well once again I am just giving you ideas of what might be wrong. I'm not there and I didn't do the work on it so it might be correct but I'm just giving you what happened to me and giving you a place to start. When the timing belt and everything were changed did you change all the pulleys also because maybe on isn't straight anymore or got tweaked a little. Once again just giving ideas out there to check.

are you putting the lock washers in front or behind it?
idk i didn't do the timing...it runs great just wanted to be worry free...ill be doing the timing with another dsmer buddy of mine...hopefully wel figure it out.

ok update...so we did the timing again...and still it chews on the engine side of the belt...idk what to check...the new oem belt still sits abit weird on the idler pulley and it rubs of the metal behind what the idler pulley sits on..either that or the crankshaft plate..but if i had that on backwards..my car wouldn't run right..so idk what to do :/

I don't see how the timing belt could be what's hitting the dampner, I'd guess that wear is from the timing cover, specially since it looks like the belt is walking into the block not away from it..

I can't see the tensioner pulley well enough to tell what's going on there but this is symptomatic of the tensioner arm pivot being worn and not holding the pulley square with the belt which causes it to track one way or the other.

steve yeah the dampner rubbed against the timing cover, my only concern it the way the belt sits on the idler pulley and walking towards the block....but i have a new tensioner arm from extreme psi on the way. great people

i have a new tensioner arm from extreme psi on the way. great people

Did you check the current one and the engine mount for wear?
The post for the pivot is part of the front mount and if ones bad the other is likely too. Don't forget to grease the two, it's not marked in the book but based on what I've seen it should be.

Did you eliminate the balance shafts and forget to put the sprocket back on the crank as a spacer? Really cant determine much from the pics.

And someone correct me if im wrong but isnt there a washer that goes between the idle pulley " arm" and the block? Maybe you forgot it and it is making the pulley offset toward the block. Hmmmm, maybe the washer is on the outside?

Did you check the current one and the engine mount for wear?
The post for the pivot is part of the front mount and if ones bad the other is likely too. Don't forget to grease the two, it's not marked in the book but based on what I've seen it should be.

no i didn't I'm just guessing its messed up based on your posts and also the first time someone did the timing, they messed it up and the belt came off the cam gear ..luckily it didn't bend any valve...the tensioner pulley wasn't rotating n hitting the tensioner arm. so I'm guessing thats where it might have messed up. also could you tell me more about the front mount bracket that the idler pulley sits on? thats where the belt is rubbing IMO.thanks

Did you eliminate the balance shafts and forget to put the sprocket back on the crank as a spacer? Really cant determine much from the pics.

And someone correct me if im wrong but isnt there a washer that goes between the idle pulley " arm" and the block? Maybe you forgot it and it is making the pulley offset toward the block. Hmmmm, maybe the washer is on the outside?

i don't think this is anything relevant to balance shafts.i still have them in there and I'm guessing the crank trigger plate is on the right way as i heard if its on the wrong way the marks won't line up and the car won't run, my car runs good honestly i was at 20psi on my evo 16g before i decided to fix this timing issue n be safe.

Do you have the balancer shaft pulley and tin piece on there?

yes sir.

heres another shot of the tensioner pulley

Attachments

• 303272_2554108809296_1151203448_3095984_418660982_n.jpg
    303272_2554108809296_1151203448_3095984_418660982_n.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 217
still haven't figured out this issue...installed the new tensioner pulley arm...but still rubs a bit right above the oil pump sprocket area...any ideas what i can do???

i know this is a few years old, but i was refrencing it cause my fluidamper rubs the timing cover and i have to cut down the ring or else my fluidamper will look like the OP. which it never seemed like he found his issue.

just for shits. im gonna say theres a long bolt in the oil pan in the wrong spot chewing up his timing belt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back