The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Timing belt parts confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontblowup

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
So I bought a 1997 GST with no previous information about the car. I am currently doing a timing belt change and have some questions and concerns maybe you guys can help me out here.
This is my first DSM and first time working on one.
So I've taken everything off that I plan on replacing but I've noticed a few things. My confusion is this, the hydraulic tensioner that came off the car is a Hyundai one and the new replacement one I purchased from Extreme PSI for the car looks different from the one I took off. I'm asking if maybe the engine has been swapped to something else and isn't the 2g 7bolt or maybe the Hyundai one just also works with engine? The timing belt tensioner pulley also doesn't seem to match the replacement, the bearing around the face looks different but seems to be the same size.
I'll post some pictures with a side by side comparison. Any information will help thank you.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the hydraulic tensioner on the left is
MD308086 96-99 year models

the one on the right
MD308587 95

don't worry about the new parts matching the old ones. the new ones are correct so your good to go.

the one on the right
MD308587 95

don't worry about the new parts matching the old ones. the new ones are correct so your good to go.
If that's a 95 does that mean it had the wrong tensioner in the car or can you use the 95 in the 97?

other than the way they look, i'm not sure what the difference is

but if your engine is a 97, it was the wrong tensioner .
obviously it worked, right? or have you not ran the motor yet?

Last edited:
No I've ran it plenty, so you're saying the new hydraulic tensioner should work fine and is the correct part? I was just concerned that maybe the block is from a different model and I picked up the wrong parts

Here are pictures of the various years of timing tensioners that @dustyboner was talking about.
Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see it. The new PAINT program reduces the screenshot size by at least 15% now, stupid MS.
Marty

If that's a 95 does that mean it had the wrong tensioner in the car or can you use the 95 in the 97?
As far as I know they are not interchangeable. That would suggest you do not have the original 97 engine in the car. You should verify what you have. Possible 1g swap could've happened too. See if there is a vin stamp.

I agree with Paul, which is why I posted the picture of the different models. I built a 7 bolt for my son and had to figure out which tensioner to use. IIRC, it was the one with the machined bottom on it, not just a cast cylinder (like the one on the left in your pictures). The reasoning was, that was what came out of it so that is what went back into it.

From what I was reading online the tensioner arm on a 1g is shorter than the 2g and it appears I have a 2g arm. I can post some pictures of the engine and see what you guys can tell from it. Also the injectors are black tops, I was reading last night the color chart for that but I don't remember what is said and I can't find it anymore.

Look on the block for engine mount bosses. If it has them it's a 1g block. I'm guessing you have a 95 engine in the car.

I'm guessing you have a 95 engine in the car.

I don't know 2G that well but That looks to me like it at least has a 2Gb head on it. Isn't that a 2Gb CAS on the back of the intake cam?

Here are pictures of the various years of timing tensioners that @dustyboner was talking about.
Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see it. The new PAINT program reduces the screenshot size by at least 15% now, stupid MS.
Marty

Weird, that picture is about 3/4ths white space. Oh I think I see what happened. The forum now sets a much lower limit on the maximum edge length of a picture (lower than it used to). The limit now is 2000 pixels max for the longest edge. Your picture with all that extra white space included was probably about 2600 pixels wide. The whole thing gets reduced when you upload it to DSMtuners, to the 2000 limit. So it's all reduced by about the amount you said.
Well anyway the worst problem is all that white space. I don't know how the heck that got in there.
I took a shot of that page framed about the way you did it and it turned out 1332 x 880 pixels and 442KB, which would upload here without being reduced.
With our new forum now, the pic uploads will go without being reduced if your pic is 2000 pixels or less on the longest edge, and also less than about 1 MB file data size.

Tried to do a screenshot from my phone. Microsoft PAINT program changed and now reduces size. I have tried to change it but get poor resolution. I hope this is easier to see. Same parts, same vendor.

the one on the right
MD308587 95

Are they interchangeable? I've never seen a TSB for it but I guess it stands to reason that they are. I've never actually put them up side by side.

I think they are interchangeable since oil pump, tensioner arm, timing cover are the same. I guess Mitsubishi just re-designed some components in '95 for the next generation 4g63 in '96 EVO4. '95 is the year of EVO3 and RVR, both have the early/late 95 tensioner, just like DSM.

Ok so I reached out to the original owner(I found his email in the glove box) and he told blew up the turbo and the oil line and did damage to the engine.
He can't remember but he said he replaced the head or the whole block so I'm not sure what he ended up doing.
The shop he took it to for the timing belt and possibly the other things ended up getting shut down for bad business practice so that could explain some of the parts I took off.
Either way I found the VIN which is KF5M332SPZT UU9164 it's a bit hard to read but I think that's it.
I also found a small red plate under the intake manifold attached to the engine that reads REMANUFACTURED 692985. I'm not sure if that's the correct number because it's scratched up a bit which makes it hard to read.

Hopefully this information could help me figure what I'm dealing with.
Thanks

Ok so I reached out to the original owner(I found his email in the glove box) and he told blew up the turbo and the oil line and did damage to the engine.
He can't remember but he said he replaced the head or the whole block so I'm not sure what he ended up doing.
The shop he took it to for the timing belt and possibly the other things ended up getting shut down for bad business practice so that could explain some of the parts I took off.
Either way I found the VIN which is KF5M332SPZT UU9164 it's a bit hard to read but I think that's it.
I also found a small red plate under the intake manifold attached to the engine that reads REMANUFACTURED 692985. I'm not sure if that's the correct number because it's scratched up a bit which makes it hard to read.

Hopefully this information could help me figure what I'm

Hopefully this information could help me figure what I'm dealing with.
Thanks
That isn't the vin. It's the trans code. You need to look about 2 inches higher.

Alright I finally found it. I had to use some break cleaner and a brush to make it readable. So I used one of those free vin checks and the vin check came back from a 1996 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder. the head is also a 2g head, the stamp read G6S 1. So I guess that solves that finally.

I assume the red plate I was talking about saying the engine is remanufactured means at one point the engine was somewhat rebuilt by a shop or the dealer maybe? idk.

Alright I finally found it. I had to use some break cleaner and a brush to make it readable. So I used one of those free vin checks and the vin check came back from a 1996 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder. the head is also a 2g head, the stamp read G6S 1. So I guess that solves that finally.

I assume the red plate I was talking about saying the engine is remanufactured means at one point the engine was somewhat rebuilt by a shop or the dealer maybe? idk.
Spyder turbo? Or just spyder. Post it up pleas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back