The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Timing belt off by one tooth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obx tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2005
Manteo, North_Carolina
I have found that my timing belt appears to be off by one tooth. Not sure how this happened but I plan on fixing it. I would just like some advice on what all to change when I do this and what are some good parts to use. Should I go all oem or mix with aftermarket. I am also wondering would it be a good idea to replace the head gasket while I have everything apart? This is a daily driver and I hate to have it down for very long but will do what I have to to make sure it stays in good running condition. Suggestions please. If their is a recent thread about this then please just post and I will read it. Thanks.

If you let it go long enough your car may not start. Crank sensors are usually the triggering device for the ignition. Without it you get no spark.

make sure you crank it over by hand a few times to make sure everything lines back up after a few turns

Yes, I have done that and even had a friend look it over and we are quite certain that it is all good. When the rain quits I will check all the bolts and finish putting things back together. While this has been a tough job for the first one I must say it was worth it to do it myself. Now I just hope to not have to do this again with the engine in the car.

Car runs better than the day that I bought it. :thumb:

timing belt is on, what a job. :thumb:

Frame rail makes it a nightmare doesn't it? Especially if you have a large hands like I do.

I recently did the CPS and seals on my '96 and I found that unbolting the tranny and front mounts, removing the crossmember, and unbolting the downpipe allowed me to move the engine up and down enough that I could maneuver more easily.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back