The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Timing belt marks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moovingon1GEclipse

Probationary Member
Jan 28, 2022
Beja, Europe
So my girlfriends father wanted to help me out to change the timing belt etc of the car cause he never done it or saw it be done, and before i could mark it he sliped off the timing belt and i didn't manage to make any marks whatsoever.
what now? Is there any way I can count teeth or something or what?

I'm completely in the dark here and I can't really push forward now have some still to be made but wanted to get a way to do it before doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I'm from Portugal, I can help if needed.

There are several marks i the timing chain. For headshafts, the little line should be facing each other.

For the remaining one (2 balance shafts and crankshaft) you can see them easily, they have arrows. But there is a trick with the right balance shaft. It should be balanced correctly.

...... and for another way to look at, here are the 3 pages from the 1991 factory service manual that tell how to do it.
Pages 104, 105, 106. Don't know what year your car is.

I've found that google translate between Portuguese and English works really well. If you want to translate the text on these 3 pages, I'd suggest first download the pdf file for the whole service manual from Tim Zimmer's google drive. Then copy and paste text from these pages into google translate. Here's a page with a link to Tim's pdf for the full manual:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1...e-chassis-body-factory-service-manual.517383/

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm from Portugal, I can help if needed.

There are several marks i the timing chain. For headshafts, the little line should be facing each other.

For the remaining one (2 balance shafts and crankshaft) you can see them easily, they have arrows. But there is a trick with the right balance shaft. It should be balanced correctly.
I kinda explained my self wrong the problem is that i took out the timing belt without marking it. So i have no ideia how to put it now. The points were all aligned and crankshaft, 1piston is at TDC everything is correct. Except the fact that I didnt make marks on the old belt to transfer them to the new one...

I kinda explained my self wrong the problem is that i took out the timing belt without marking it. So i have no ideia how to put it now. The points were all aligned and crankshaft, 1piston is at TDC everything is correct. Except the fact that I didnt make marks on the old belt to transfer them to the new one...
you don't have exactly any mark to insert the timing belt, however consider to have the writing outwards. make it readable from outside the car.

Despite that, can't figure out which is the problem.

you don't have exactly any mark to insert the timing belt, however consider to have the writing outwards. make it readable from outside the car.

Despite that, can't figure out which is the problem.

I heard people say you can mess up the timing for being 1 tooth of the belt being off. That's why i was worried ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
When you get your two wrenches to do steps 6 and 7 from @We're on Boost post above, this is the note I made about counting teeth

Should be 15 BELT TEETH between the BELT GAP at the top center of the intake cam gear and the BELT GAP on the top center of the exhaust cam gear. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, here's a couple of pictures from my own car that will help for showing how to count the 15 teeth.
In the first pic I actually had pencil marks on top of the belt like what the OP is talking about.
In the 2nd pic it's easier to count the teeth on the belt.
Although, I also had the belt tied down to the crank pulley so it wouldn't skip a tooth there.
The oil pump pulley I didn't care about because the balance shafts were already removed.
In these pics I was replacing just the tensioning parts and idler wheel, not the belt. So I didn't want the belt to skip on the cam or crank sprockets.

Yes, here's a couple of pictures from my own car that will help for showing how to count the 15 teeth.
In the first pic I actually had pencil marks on top of the belt like what the OP is talking about.
In the 2nd pic it's easier to count the teeth on the belt.
Although, I also had the belt tied down to the crank pulley so it wouldn't skip a tooth there.
The oil pump pulley I didn't care about because the balance shafts were already removed.
In these pics I was replacing just the tensioning parts and idler wheel, not the belt. So I didn't want the belt to skip on the cam or crank sprockets.

Thank you. I believe this will be enough i'll be closing the post as i got everything that i believe is needed for the fix. Thank you everyone and much appreciated ♥️

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back