The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Timing belt kit prices...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderChild

Supporting VIP
Jan 5, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
So I know I was gone for 6mo in Antartica, but WTF happened to timing belt kit prices??
I left and they were around $400 give or take with a gates blue back belt, gates water pump and BSE kit. Now I'm checking prices for Krakatoa's engine and I'm getting $6-700 on prices?
Seriously contemplating getting a contitech kit...

I know I'm whining, it's just getting more expensive every year to keep these things maintained even, let alone modified.

Anyone know what's up with STMs site? The link says kits are starting around $300, then once clicked they got to $600 and stay that way through purchase page. I'm gonna call them tomorrow to ask, just curious if anyone knew something I didn't.

Btich session over :coy:

Run the Gates TCK167 kit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
AND
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
with an OEM tensioner is what I use.

Yea I could piece meal it out, but I still would spend about the same since I need the BSE, water pump and an oem tensioner.

JNZ still has virtually the same pricing they always have, so I'll prolly order through them or rock auto.

But thanks for the info Marty!

$154 was just ALOT less than $500 so wanted you to know. :thumb:
I run the regular Gates belt on my stock 90 GSX. The tensioner is the money item usually for me. Water pump, hahaha, I bought 3 when they were on closeout for somewhere around $24 bucks a piece on RockAuto with the oring and gasket and its a Gates so it had the alignment pin in the water pump pulley, which I like.

Yea if one could get all the parts on Amazon just like the vendors it'd be different. I'll prolly go with JNZ since I can get it all there for the best price without a bunch of unused stuff.

Marty, you be used the standard gates belt on your cars?

Yea if one could get all the parts on Amazon just like the vendors it'd be different. I'll prolly go with JNZ since I can get it all there for the best price without a bunch of unused stuff.

Marty, you be used the standard gates belt on your cars?
Yeah Henry I use the stock belt on my mild 1990 White GSX, the other 2 have performance belts. One is a gates blue and the other is an hks purple but the stock belt is still a good belt and that one along with the stock balance shaft Gates belt are in the 90 GSX.

The tensioner and belt are two items where I would want OEM-only parts (or in the case of the belt, a Gates Racing piece would be fine). The Gates water pump is cheap on RockAuto, and you can run non-OEM idlers.

I've also been shopping the prices on a timing kit, since I'm now too scared not to do this on my car. ExtremePSI had the best price in the last few days. I was pricing with OEM everything except Gates water pump (substantial savings, and how bad could it be?). I was still getting under $500. They sell the three-piece special too set for around $50, as well. Not bad to save a self-clearanced motor.

The Gates black belt is what Mitsubishi specs to use when a genuine Mitsubishi belt is not available, I run the black Gates, as far as what needs to be oem, I would only use Mitsubishi for the pulleys, you really want those name brand bearings in there an not some Chinese knockoff, that is more important to me than even a stock hydraulic tensioner, you can use the Gates tensioner just fine, if you run no upper belt cover or a clear one, its easy to tell if the tensioner has gone bad, also I run enough pre-tension on the belt that the tensioner is only there to dampen the movement of the belt and not to totally tension it anyway, I could pull my tensioner out and run my engine if I needed to.

GMB makes the pulleys that are in the timing belt kit that Contitech sells they are the same pulleys that are in many of the aftermarket timing kits and for a time IIRC both companies were a supplier for Mitsubishi, i have a brand new timing set here from Contitech the balance belt and main timing belt are both made in Germany with mitsu part numbers on them, I don't see any country of manufacturer on the pulleys but GMB is the manufacturer and I know they have factories in Japan, Korea, Thailand, and China so I'm unsure where these were made LOL, but if they are made by GMB at the least they stick to strict OEM standards.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back