The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G timing belt kit for balance shaft elimination

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91_gst

Probationary Member
Dec 2, 2014
Taylor, Michigan
Im doing a balance shaft elimination on my 91 gst and I was wondering if I needed any special timing belt kit since there won't be a balance shaft. Thanks for the input

The front balance shaft is driven off the belt, the rear balance shaft is internally gear driven and will have to be removed with a stub shaft installed in its place. If you do not remove the rear balance shaft you will have bad vibrations and it can lead to bolts backing out or even clutch or trans damage over an extended period of time.

Use the grooved OE stubby shaft or a cut down/race shaft on the rear shaft.

If you do the BSE in car, install the stubby or race shaft in the rear, Leave the front one in place, once the front cover is back on, install the spacer and gear and no belt.
It is a chore to remove the front shaft and flip the bearings with the engine in the car.

Well its getting rebuilt at the moment with the bse kit. I was jw if I needed a certain kind of belt. Thanks guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back