The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

timing belt issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHA99Y420

Probationary Member
Feb 27, 2013
Talladega, Alabama
Alright I know this has already been discussed but since I'm a probationary member i could not reply on that thread and get help with my problem. The post I'm referring to is troubleshooting stuck timing belt by ajpm26 on 10-22-2012. His issue was the same as my current issue however the issue looked to be unresolved so here I am. My timing belt broke. I've removed everything needed to get to the belt to replace it. My problem is that it looks as if the belt got jammed and that's why it broke so i was wondering if anyone had ideas on what would cause it to jam up like that. I don't want to go through the work of replacing the belt and most likely rebuilding the head just to have to turn around and do it again because something else that caused the problem in the first place is still broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

throw the new timing belt on, disconnect the fuel pump, and have someone crank it and see where it binds up

When my timing belt broke, the balance shaft belt snapped and tangled itself up into the timing belt. I'd remove the rear balance shaft (replace with stub shaft), and remove the balance belt completely. Makes the timing belt job much easier.

Once you get the front cover splash shields off you should be able to make sure the crank, oil pump, etc move. Remember that you won't be able to more the crank much until you take the head off but you should be able to make sure that the balance shaft hasn't seized.

i am with the others i would do a balance shaft delete kit. put on a new belt and turn the engine first by hand i do not rec cranking ,once u turn by hand and everything looks to be good then u can go the route of cranking with the coil disconnected and then move on to running hope fron all the answers u get one can help u good luck :hellyeah:

thanks a lot guys. after doing more research on it, i believe i will be doing a balance shaft delete. any advice on which kit to go with would be awesome. also, since i will most likely be rebuilding the head and i am looking to get more power, any recommendations on internals for the job or anything else i should do along with it. again i greatly appreciate all of the help and advice.

.... Before you put the new timing belt on, and throw it all back together, you need to find out why the belt got locked...
Drain the oil and look for flakes. My balance shaft bearings went dry, balance shaft stopped spinning, and locked up the whole motor.
You need to find out what made it lock up, or youll risk having the same thing happen again.

To delete the rear shaft, all you need is a stub shaft:
OEM Mitsubishi Balance Shaft Stub #20757

You'll probably also need a front case gasket, new crank seal, etc...Rockauto has a bad ass Felpro kit that includes everything you need:
Crankshaft Front Seal Set

Some optional things you can do while you have everything off:
replace water pump (gates is good)
replace head gasket
install arp head studs

You can also pick up a Gates water pump and a Felpro (highly recommended) head gasket from rockauto.

If you're rebuilding the head and want to beef it up, you need to determine what your power goals are. What turbo do you plan on running?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back