The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Timing Belt Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apeximprt2nr

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2005
Northern, New_Jersey
Hey guys I have a couple questions before I put my new timing belt back on.

1. In this tutorial http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/182787-how-change-your-timing-belt.html , post #15 step 14, the guy says to make sure the crank is NOT at TDC so when I rotate the cam gears to line them up, the valves don't hit the pistons. How do I know when it is NOT at TDC?

2. When putting the auto-tensioner back on (new one), Do I compress it with a C clamp and bolt it on with the clamp on, or do I clamp it, put a allen screw in the hole, take C clamp off, then bolt it up?

Thanks. I hope my questions were clear.

Hey guys I have a couple questions before I put my new timing belt back on.

1. In this tutorial http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/182787-how-change-your-timing-belt.html , post #15 step 14, the guy says to make sure the crank is NOT at TDC so when I rotate the cam gears to line them up, the valves don't hit the pistons. How do I know when it is NOT at TDC?

2. When putting the auto-tensioner back on (new one), Do I compress it with a C clamp and bolt it on with the clamp on, or do I clamp it, put a allen screw in the hole, take C clamp off, then bolt it up?

Thanks. I hope my questions were clear.
I would just ignore that step 14. When I time a motor, I put the crank at TDC (which is when the trigger plate lines up to the mark on the front cover, then line up both cam gears, slide belt over when everything is lined up, and tension.

If your putting a new tensioner on, it already comes compressed with the little grenade pin in it. But yes, clamp it, insert pin, then install.

I would just ignore that step 14. When I time a motor, I put the crank at TDC (which is when the trigger plate lines up to the mark on the front cover, then line up both cam gears, slide belt over when everything is lined up, and tension.

If your putting a new tensioner on, it already comes compressed with the little grenade pin in it. But yes, clamp it, insert pin, then install.

Ok, so your saying rotate the crank sprocket to line up with it's marking, the oil pump as well, and then rotate each cam gear with a ratchet so they line up? Won't that cause the valves to hit? And is there a certain direction I'm supposed to turn them (CW or CCW)?

And the tensioner, so your saying just throw the tesioner on like it is since it's new, or do you want me to pull the pin that's already in there, clamp it, put pin back in, bolt release pin?

Ok, so your saying rotate the crank sprocket to line up with it's marking, the oil pump as well, and then rotate each cam gear with a ratchet so they line up? Won't that cause the valves to hit?

And the tensioner, so your saying just throw the tesioner on like it is since it's new, or do you want me to pull the pin that's already in there, clamp it, put pin back in, bolt release pin?
No, it won't cause the valves to hit. Thats how your suppose to time it, with everything lined up. Here's a better write up for a 6 bolt which is no different than timing a 7 bolt except the tensioner pulley goes down rather than up when tensioning. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...l-installing-timing-timing-belt-6bolt-2g.html

If the tensioner is new and has the pin in it already, bolt it on just how it is. It's just the way you said it before with clamping it, made it sound like it didn't have the pin yet and it was used.

Ok awesome thanks. And about lining them up, I meant will the actual act of rotating the cam gears cause them to hit when I'm lining them up.

Last question, Is there a direction I should, should not rotate the cam gears and crank and oil sprockets? CW, CCW?

Ok awesome thanks. And about lining them up, I meant will the actual act of rotating the cam gears cause them to hit when I'm lining them up.

Last question, Is there a direction I should, should not rotate the cam gears and crank and oil sprockets? CW, CCW?
No you will not hit anything.

It doesn't really matter how you are rotating everything to line everything up, but once the belt is on, always turn clockwise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back