The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Timing belt cover rattling (Middle section?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmp1516

Proven Member
Aug 2, 2021
Quezon City, Asia
Hey guys first post here, I recently got my Galant tuned up (replaced all belts including T-belt, spark plugs, rear engine mount). Now I got a new problem, a knocking noise coming from the middle section of the timing belt cover. It doesn't go away when revving nor when it goes up to operating temp (see attached video to hear and see it)

I took it back to my mechanic and did say that it was the cover, but I also was sure that the knocking sound wasn't present before bringing it into the shop. Now could this be solved by simply putting a washer on the nuts to give clearance to the cover? Or did the guys at the shop simply broke it beyond repair?

Here's the video sample:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Could be a bad tensioner, bad lifters, wrong valve timing causes slightly touching pistons like already mentioned above, etc etc. or the worst case scenario would be rod knock. Should check one by one from the easiest part.
If I were you I would remove the timing cover and inspect the tensioner itself first. When the tensioner stops working, it would make this kind of knock sound, too.

Could be a bad tensioner, bad lifters, wrong valve timing causes slightly touching pistons like already mentioned above, etc etc. or the worst case scenario would be rod knock. Should check one by one from the easiest part.
If I were you I would remove the timing cover and inspect the tensioner itself first. When the tensioner stops working, it would make this kind of knock sound, too.
Hey thanks for the input, I just got back from a shop and turns out it was just a defective water pump. Big relief as it wasn't too expensive to fix

Since when does a bad water pump sound like rod knock?
Not entirely sure, but as soon as the water pump belt was removed the knocking was gone. My guess is the mechanic from the other shop did a terrible job at replacing the belts (the water pump belt didn't even had a brand new belt in it).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back