The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Ticking noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noahrieke

Proven Member
Mar 17, 2020
Billings, Montana
A ticking noise has started on my eclipse and it is such a weird ticking noise and only happens sometimes between 1-3k on deceleration? It seems too loud to be lifter tick but I’m no expert.

Anyone know what it could be? I’ll post a video

Last edited by a moderator:
man i wish i could here that in person. it sounds like it is faster than engine RPM... are you still running balance shafts???
Ummm I’m not sure it has the balance shaft still or not? But yeah it’s a really odd noise it doesn’t match the rpm! I bought 3g lifter and am gonna put those in Maybe it’s them? I’ll post another better video of the noise

Do another video but do a slow sweep from maybe the exahust to intake mani and probably do the same on the bottom so we can try to get a better idea of where it's coming from. In your second video it kinda sounded like it was related to engine rpm? Or at least was more consistent out of idle. Have you checked every possible exhaust mating surface? Either feel for a leak with your hand or look for soot marks. Could be your wastegate? Start touching things and feel for the vibration as well. To me it sounds like lifters or some sort of an actuator; something small and not a metal on metal like ping. I'll have to listen on my headphones when i get home. Try to make the video better than 480p =)

Do another video but do a slow sweep from maybe the exahust to intake mani and probably do the same on the bottom so we can try to get a better idea of where it's coming from. In your second video it kinda sounded like it was related to engine rpm? Or at least was more consistent out of idle. Have you checked every possible exhaust mating surface? Either feel for a leak with your hand or look for soot marks. Could be your wastegate? Start touching things and feel for the vibration as well. To me it sounds like lifters or some sort of an actuator; something small and not a metal on metal like ping. I'll have to listen on my headphones when i get home. Try to make the video better than 480p =)
Ok thank you so much! I just received my 3g revised lifter I ordered and when I don’t have work I’ll put them in and see if the noise stops! I’ll keep this thread updated as soon as I put the lifters in!

As motomattx said, definitely check the crankshaft bolt (the large center bolt). I personally torqued mine down a couple of years ago after having the same sound from my car. One day a Dodge Challenger wanted to race on the Interstate. He hammered it and so did I. I accelerated for maybe 2 seconds and then it was valves beating pistons - not a good day! Balance shaft belt broke, breaking the timing belt and shearing the key for the crank sprocket. A good friend has a 1990 like mine, had the same sound you have and as best I remember, it was a nearly broken balance shaft belt. He caught it in time. I'm sure you know that when those break, the timing belt eats it, breaks and valves beat the pistons. I'd not crank it AT ALL until you can get both upper and lower timing belt cover off for a very close inspection.

A ticking noise has started on my eclipse and it is such a weird ticking noise and only happens sometimes between 1-3k on deceleration? It seems too loud to be lifter tick but I’m no expert.

Anyone know what it could be? I’ll post a video
If it is an automatic, check the torque converter to flywheel bolts.

As motomattx said, definitely check the crankshaft bolt (the large center bolt). I personally torqued mine down a couple of years ago after having the same sound from my car. One day a Dodge Challenger wanted to race on the Interstate. He hammered it and so did I. I accelerated for maybe 2 seconds and then it was valves beating pistons - not a good day! Balance shaft belt broke, breaking the timing belt and shearing the key for the crank sprocket. A good friend has a 1990 like mine, had the same sound you have and as best I remember, it was a nearly broken balance shaft belt. He caught it in time. I'm sure you know that when those break, the timing belt eats it, breaks and valves beat the pistons. I'd not crank it AT ALL until you can get both upper and lower timing belt cover off for a very close inspection.
Sorry I’ve been working a lot this week haven’t had much to to check shit! I did how ever get the timing cover off go look at stuff and 1 the crank bolt you were just talking about was very loose barely one turn and it was loose and 2 found out that the trigger disc is folded

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back