The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Ticking noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noahrieke

Proven Member
Mar 17, 2020
Billings, Montana
A ticking noise has started on my eclipse and it is such a weird ticking noise and only happens sometimes between 1-3k on deceleration? It seems too loud to be lifter tick but I’m no expert.

Anyone know what it could be? I’ll post a video

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running stock engine mounts or poly/solid ones? Also if you hold down the clutch pedal while revving up, does it still make the sound or does it go away?

Good question @Kryndon. If it only does it while on decel, I suggest putting it on a lift or jack stands to isolate where it's coming from. Don't think that noise is very common for someone to know off the top of their head.

Good question @Kryndon. If it only does it while on decel, I suggest putting it on a lift or jack stands to isolate where it's coming from. Don't think that noise is very common for someone to know off the top of their head.
It’s coming from the right side

Attachments

• 02140105-C804-416E-B4A5-F9CD40F7FA74.jpeg
    02140105-C804-416E-B4A5-F9CD40F7FA74.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
yeah it is hard to tell any spacial info from the video, i was just trying to think of similar sounds.

since it is not all the time and rev matching you can at least rule out things like lifter, rod knock, alt bearing, what you are looking for is something affected by load. maybe timing tensioner, something in the clutch, wastegate or BOV maybe, or maybe even like a cracked exhaust manifold.

Have you done any work recently? I see the timing cover is loose. Check for flakes/specs of metal anywhere. When something is loose, it could leave some evidence. Could it be you fpr bouncing around? Or the return line fitting hitting the cover?

Last edited:
I have this noise coming from my 2004 civic ex right now, along with a myriad of other sounds I can't pinpoint. This almost sounds drivetrain related to me, it sounds separate from the rpm of the engine and doesn't sound like it matches. The shifting of downforce could be stressing a broken or breaking part in the front.

Have you done any work recently? I see the timing cover is loose. Check for flakes/specs of metal anywhere. When something is loose, it could leave some evidence. Could it be you fpr bouncing around? Or the return line fitting hitting the cover?
Yes two days ago finished up putting in a new turbo! Imma get it on a lift and see if anything is loose. I will also look for everything you have suggested thank you!

yeah it is hard to tell any spacial info from the video, i was just trying to think of similar sounds.

since it is not all the time and rev matching you can at least rule out things like lifter, rod knock, alt bearing, what you are looking for is something affected by load. maybe timing tensioner, something in the clutch, wastegate or BOV maybe, or maybe even like a cracked exhaust manifold.
I’m taking it to my buddies house today after work and we’ll look at everything that you’ve suggested and what other people have! I’ll keep this thread updated after lift the car up tonight

Thats some type of vibration, maybe a heat shield, maybe something under the timing belt cover, first thing that I would do is pull the belt cover and check all bolts are tight, I have had a idler pulley bolt back out and was hitting the plastic on the belt cover and making that type of sound, its getting worse so its getting looser, that could be very bad if something fails, also check your crankshaft pulley bolts all four and the big bolt in the center for tightness.

Thats some type of vibration, maybe a heat shield, maybe something under the timing belt cover, first thing that I would do is pull the belt cover and check all bolts are tight, I have had a idler pulley bolt back out and was hitting the plastic on the belt cover and making that type of sound, its getting worse so its getting looser, that could be very bad if something fails, also check your crankshaft pulley bolts all four and the big bolt in the center for tightness.
Thank you! I’ll make sure to check all those bolts!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back