The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Ticking noise from 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We would need a better description, or perhaps a video. It could be anything from the valve train to the exhaust.
Yeah sorry, I thought I had uploaded the video I guess not I put a link to the short.
Thanks again

I hear the ticking... Doesn't sound rhythmic like typical valves or lash adjusters. Does it change behavior when you put your foot on the gas or put the engine under load?

Also - recommend you get/use a mechanics stethoscope as you can pinpoint exactly where your noise is coming from. They range from cheap ones for < $10 (basically a doctor's stethoscope with a long rod at the end) to expensive ones > $300 (digital pointer microphones that you can listen to real time as well as record on your phone).

It sounds like fuel injector ticking or slight lash adjuster sounds, I wouldn't worry about it to be honest if you cant hear it with the hood closed and you in the drivers seat, engines make sounds, this coming from a dealer tech.

You have some extremely experienced professionals giving you some very different possibilities, and there's no way to tell for sure without physically being there to listen first hand and perform different diagnostics tests. Engines do make noise, but not all ticking can be considered "meh, whatever." Motomattx likely has the right of things in that the sound is probably benign (lash adjuster, injector...). However, I have seen more than a few occasions where something "probably benign" turned out to be most definitely not benign. 'Twer I in your shoes, Zick3646, I would investigate as thoroughly as you can to determine the source of the noise and if it can be ignored or not, at least for now. If that investigation/diagnostic is not feasible (whether due to a lack of knowledge/experience on your part, a lack of funds, or both) then I would keep a close eye/ear on it. If the sound is representative of a problem it will "worsen" and you can address it at that point. I'm personally not a fan of the "wait 'till it gets worse" approach because the getting worse part may end up including a domino effect in that other issues result as well.

If you want to check the car for an exhaust leak, suck some Seafoam into one of the vacuum lines, dont allow a ton to be sucked in, pinch off the hose as its idling and sucking the fluid in, this will make the car smoke heavily while it burns the oily mixture, if you have a leak you will see the smoke leaking from the exhaust manifold area or downpipe, the Seafoam wont hurt anything either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back