The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

tial red/blue spring, 30+ psi w/ boost controller turned down

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadeTreeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2005
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
i have a tial 40mm wastegate and recently found out i had a small blue spring in it and ive been on 25 psi, so i decided to stack a large red spring in it, its not on the tial website but technically if u add the 2 together it would be 20.3 psi, all i did was stack to 2 together and now after the install its like its on no limit for boost, i have the Hallman manual boost controller turned all the way down and its like i have no boost controller there. why would it do that ? ? ? :confused: boost was fine before when i had the small blue spring in there would stay right at 25psi but now just blows passed 30psi WTF, any inputs ?

Logic would suggest that if you add another spring, you will increase the pressure required to open the wastegate, rather than decrease it. Try removing the blue one and running only the red one, as the red one is rated at 0.4 bar, and the blue one at 0.6 bar. Together, you are now running a 1.0 bar combination. Another possibility is that by stacking them you have taken up too much space and are now physically limiting the movement of the piston in the 'gate, essentially locking it closed.

Logic would suggest that if you add another spring, you will increase the pressure required to open the wastegate, rather than decrease it. Try removing the blue one and running only the red one, as the red one is rated at 0.4 bar, and the blue one at 0.6 bar. Together, you are now running a 1.0 bar combination. Another possibility is that by stacking them you have taken up too much space and are now physically limiting the movement of the piston in the 'gate, essentially locking it closed.

wrong there, i stated i have a LARGE red spring which is rated at 0.8 bar (11.60 psi) with a SMALL blue spring 0.6 bar (8.70 psi) and the 2 together come out to 20.3 psi (1.4 bar) thats on tials website, and TIAL does say to stack them. so id say your way off 0.4 bar to be exact, i need some expert help on this , read my post carefully !! :p

I would say instead of stacking them together as per the website says, just buy 1 spring with the desired spring pressure you want and slap it in.
I believe that from stacking 2 together you can run a risk of both springs, if installed wrong or a little off, can both come in contact and not open as supposed to, not sure if you catch my drift.

I would say instead of stacking them together as per the website says, just buy 1 spring with the desired spring pressure you want and slap it in.
I believe that from stacking 2 together you can run a risk of both springs, if installed wrong or a little off, can both come in contact and not open as supposed to, not sure if you catch my drift.

i catch your drift but once the small spring is inside of the big spring its not possible for the 2 to bind within eachother, i tried on purpose with them outside of the car to do that, they wont get stuck. and as for choosing one spring for my boost, i cant , thats why im stacking them, im running 30 psi, and they dont make a spring big enough for that, your not supposed to run more than double of what the spring pressure is. so my big red is 11psi, cant run more than 22 without issues with wastegate operation. thats why im stacking to equal a 20psi setup, max i would be able to run is 40 psi. catch what im saying now ?

Try the blue spring by itself, or try a small yellow spring instead of the small blue spring.

so i took one spring out and boost controller is turned all the way down, still boosting no less than 30psi. the spring in there now is large red, 11psi rating. still stumped :confused:

sounds to me like something isn't ran right. Look over everything twice!

i was a huge newbie and thought my boost controller wasn't working one time. My problem was i, i turned the knob in the wrong direction :p

sounds to me like something isn't ran right. Look over everything twice!

i was a huge newbie and thought my boost controller wasn't working one time. My problem was i, i turned the knob in the wrong direction :p

yea but im not a newbie, i looked over everything twice, boost controller is turned down the right way,

pix or it didnt happen. If everything was the right way, you wouldn't be posting about your problem.

no im posting because im confused, the only thing i did was change the spring inside my wastegate, did not touch anything else. prior to putting the new spring in i was set at 25psi all day long, no less no more. so tell me what the hell happend here. :confused:

It's hard to say. If we had pix, we might spot something out of place. Your so used to your setup, sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Only thing I can think of is the valve is not in the right spot or the springs are stacked wrong or something was damaged OR you didn't put something back in it's correct place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back