The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

thumping from drivetrain (HELP ME)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowow21

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2009
west concord, Minnesota
hey every one i have a 95 egle talon tsi awd and today i was driving it and took a corner and oll of a suden i heard a clicking and thumping from under my car in the front end and i gets worse when its under load and as you speed up but i gos away when i push in the cluch and sugestions will he helpfull thanks

^^^^ that is a good observation BUT.. bowwow21 you might want to look into replacing the "bushings" that hold the drive shaft to the floor underneath. Go under and try to see if there is any play in the bracket that hold the drive shaft up. ALSO check the "REAR DIFF" there is 4 bolts that bolt the drive shaft to it. see if they possibly are loose, that will give the shaft extra slack :thumb: IF!! not they ^^^^chck the article he posted thats money if all else fails

good luck

^^^^ that is a good observation BUT.. bowwow21 you might want to look into replacing the "bushings" that hold the drive shaft to the floor underneath. Go under and try to see if there is any play in the bracket that hold the drive shaft up. ALSO check the "REAR DIFF" there is 4 bolts that bolt the drive shaft to it. see if they possibly are loose, that will give the shaft extra slack :thumb: IF!! not they ^^^^chck the article he posted thats money if all else fails

good luck

If it's in the front end while turning, it's probably a tie rod end or ball joint. Also check your shocks and see if you have play in your wheel bearings, and look for tears in your CV boots.

wow nice write up :thumb:

Thanks...it's far from complete, but hopefully it can help someone out :)

HAH yeah didnt even thing of that should of read the post better:coy::coy: that is a good point DEFF ball joints or tie rods ALSO sway bar too if the bushings are shot that will cause what he saying.. his discription is alittle vague though more info would really help out

ALSO sway bar too if the bushings are shot that will cause what he saying..

Yep...I've seen one completely broken too, which definitely caused those symptoms.

After reading the original post again, I'm a bit confused by "but i gos away when i push in the cluch", as I can't see why you'd push the clutch in during hard cornering while troubleshooting the problem... so I'm selectively ignoring that symptom for now :D

sorry you guys for the bad post it first started when i was cornering now its a constint steady clicking noise all the time but it goes away when im costing or when the cluch is in and as well as when its sitting in nutrel and it gets really loud when its under load and about the same when im cornering

i can also feel it in the cluch pedle when im releasing it and i can also feel it in the shifter

well every on bad news i got the car on a lift and the noise is comein from the tranny, dose any one know much about the shep trannys

Stage 1
The Stage 1 is a perfect solution for those seeking a tough upgraded replacement for their DSM. Your trans will be painted with aluma blast to make it look like new.
Included Features:

Shims for setting preload
New Nylon Shifter Pad
New Center Diff Side Shims
New End Nuts
New Roll Pins
New Intermediate Gear Bearings
New Input Shaft Bearings
New Input, Output, and both Drive Shaft Seals
New 1-2-3-4 Synchro Springs
New 5th Gear Synchro Rings
New 3-4 Synchro Rings
New 1-2 Hub/Sleeve kit with Double Synchro Rings
New Shep Trans Spec 2nd Gear
New 3-4 Fork
New 1-2 Fork
1990 pricing
New engine dowels
$945
Stage 2 The Stage 2 is a perfect solution for those seeking a tough upgraded replacement for their DSM with a few extra popular options. Your transmission will also be Bead Blasted and painted as needed for a "like-new" look.

Included Features:
New Roll Pins
New Input Shaft Bearings
New 1-2-3-4 Synchro Springs
New 3rd gear
New 3-4 Fork
New 1-2 Fork
New End Nuts
New Nylon Shifter Pad
Upgraded Torrington Bearing
Upgraded Rare Earth Magnet
Transmission Filter Upgrade
Bead Blasted Case
New 4th gear
New 3-4 hub and sleeve kit
New 3-4 shift rail
New reverse brake
New engine dowel pins
1990 pricing
$1345
Stage 3 The Stage 3 is our most popular street strip trans. It is intended for those 400-600 hp street /strip cars that still want a fully streetable trans. without the worries of shattering your weak 3-4 sleeve or leaving your stock center diff guts all over the track PLEASE NOTE: All of our stage 3's now include a new intermediate shaft.

Included Features:
New 1-2 Fork
New 3-4 Fork
New 1-2-3-4- 5-R Synchro Springs
New Input Shaft Bearings
New Roll Pins
New End Nuts
New Nylon Shifter Pad
Upgraded Torrington Bearing
Bead Blasted Case
4 Spider Center Differential
Heavy Duty 3-4 Conversion
Transmission filter upgrade
1990 pricing
NEW INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
$1975
Option - subtract $275 to add a welded differential instead of the 4 spider
Option - $300 REM ISF Process
Option - $150 double synchro 3-4
Option - $295 EVO III first gear and input shaft
Stage 4 The Stage 4 is our best trans without going to our dog box. We exclusively ran this trans in our 8 second Talon. This trans comes standard with a locked center diff so it is more tailored for those weekend warriors but a 4 spider can be added for daily drivers. With a properly working clutch this trans will shift at 10,000 rpms with ease. This upgrade replaces all of the 1-4 internals and shafts and has a custom ratio 3-4 to keep the rpms up between shifts and through the traps. For those wanting to run the stage 4 and retain drivability we can substitute a 4 spider for an additional charge.

Included Features:

New 1-2-3-4- 5-R Synchro Springs
New Input Shaft Bearings
New Roll Pins
New End Nuts
New Nylon Shifter Pad
New 1st Gear and Input Shaft
New double Synchro 3rd and 4th gear
Double 3-4 Synchros
New Intermediate Shaft
Heavy Duty Shift Rails
Welded Differential and Locking Sleeve
Bead Blasted Case
$2195
Option - Please call - 1990-91 Pricing
Option - $300 REM ISF Process
Option - $200 LSD insert
Option - $275 4 spider center differential
Option - $75 EVO III first gear and input shaft

Here is whats off the site if you havent already looked it just depends on what your goal is for power or if your just looking for a good tranny for a daily driver. But i drove a 91 DSM with the stage 2 in it and it was BUTTER!!!:cool:

so i draind the tranny oil yesterday and i got chuncks so i guess its time for a new tranny thanks for the help you guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back