The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Thrust Bearing Symptoms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 28, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Let me start this off by saying I didn't want to have to start a thread about this.

Upon hours of research I can't say with certainty that I have been able to rule out the possibility of a thrust bearing issue. This engine has less than 1000 miles of usage with light amounts of boost and abuse. I changed the oil after my first 50 miles, 200 miles, and tonight I began to repeat the process. While dropping my oil pan to replace it with a fresh unit, I noticed moderate sized silver flakes in the bottom of the old pan. Upon further investigation I discovered that they are not magnetic. I'm assuming that would mean that they are composed of aluminum, which leads me to believe that they may have originated from the pistons.

As I peered up into the bowels of my motor, I noticed that there was an uneven gap on the wrist pin between the rod and piston knuckles. My only guess at this occurrence was that the crank had somehow "shifted" towards the front of the block and therefore caused this uneven gap.

I have attached a few pictures that are of poor quality. The first is of course the oil pan with the aforementioned flakes and the second is of the viewpoint of me laying under the car and looking up into the #3 cylinder at the wrist pin assembly. My guess is that the edge of the rod end is rubbing the inside knuckle of the piston and therefore "lathing" off the material that I discovered in the bottom of the pan. I could really use some advice guys. Thanks in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The rod bearings seem to be ok. How much pressure should I need to apply to the crank to check for lateral play? A pry bar or with bare hands?

Update: The flakes are very soft. I can pick one up and roll it up between my fingertips. I dont think bearing material would behave in such a manner. Also there is no end play that I can detect with my hands. I will obtain a prybar and try to move it.

Here is a slightly better picture of the rod and piston. There is zero clearance between the rod end and piston knuckle on the left side.

The rod bearings seem to be ok. How much pressure should I need to apply to the crank to check for lateral play? A pry bar or with bare hands?

Update: The flakes are very soft. I can pick one up and roll it up between my fingertips. I dont think bearing material would behave in such a manner. Also there is no end play that I can detect with my hands. I will obtain a prybar and try to move it.

Bearing material behaves like the thinnest aluminum foil you've ever felt.

You can measure the thrust clearance with a prybar and a feeler gauge, just be extremely careful to not damage the bearing or crank with the feeler gauge. The best method is to use a dial indicator.

Update: The crankshaft clearly moves when the clutch pedal is pressed. I won't know exactly how far until I obtain a dial indicator with the magnetic base.

I think its .007". Im pulling the motor this weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back