The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Throttle body idle position switch (IPS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Seth, I just saw your post and did some searching around. The IPS part # is MD614216. I just found a couple of new ones online and damn they are expensive. It's better to post a ISO (in search of) or want-to-buy ad on the classifieds here, or Facebook marketplace and you should be able to find a good used one for cheap.

Where can I buy a new switch. It's the one that tells the ECU the Throttle plate is closed. I can find one anywhere.

Thank seth
Are you sure it isn't a missing ground strap? Seen tons of cars where people remove the ground bracket on the throttle body because they didn't know what it is or what it does.

In these cases lately, I recommend switching to a 2g/late model TPS that has the switch integrated. I've done this on all my DSMs except the laser and have no regrets. Plus they're easy to find anywhere, and don't cost 100+ for a single threaded contact switch...

Wouldn’t this switch be simple on/off, making it pretty straightforward to check? I find I’m terrible about jumping to conclusions, and digging into and replacing components that were really fine. Of course I should learn to follow my own advice.
Hmmm....

Are you sure it isn't a missing ground strap? Seen tons of cars where people remove the ground bracket on the throttle body because they didn't know what it is or what it does.

My car never had a strap.. it used to run fine.. where can I get one or how could I make one? Aren't the bolts going threw the throttle Body good enough grounds?

My car never had a strap.. it used to run fine.. where can I get one or how could I make one? Aren't the bolts going threw the throttle Body good enough grounds?
No the bolts are not good enough. Its just a wire. The stock setup has a little l shaped bracket from one of the bolts to a screw on top. Just make a wire to do this. There is also a ground strap behind the intake manifold to the firewall.

They're not good enough because they don't really touch the throttle body. They touch the elbow and there is a gasket.

There is/was a small screw on the top of your throttle body that the strap attached to. You can run a wire from this to the intake manifold where the ground strap to the firewall is or some other ground point. (like the battery negative post)

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/new-problem.404895/#post-152612174
The throttle body that's on my car is missing the screw and hasn't had the strap in 10+ years.. I'm just finding out about it now.. I'm not sure if mine is bad. But I bought a new throttle body with a good fiav. Mine was siezed. So I'm switching everything over. I think the new throttle body is for a nt. It only has one vacuum port. And there isn't a screw spot for the screw in the same spot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back