The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

throttle body question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xharlequinx

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
burlingame, California
okay so after finishing all the mods I wanted for the talon, it came down to the notorious boost leak test. I had a few leaks, here and there as any dsmer would expect but there was a really bad one that took a while to fix. In the throttle body are two seals on each end of the butterfly shaft. And those went out on my dsm, so I replaced them. Unfortunately the seals went bad quick and leaked worse, so I just bought a refurbished throttle body and the car doesnt' leak now. The only problem now is the cars idle floats around 1300. I don't get it at all. When I give it gas, it rises in rpms but when I let off the throttle, the rpms go down really slow and then float at 1300 for a minute and then go back down to idle. WTF? is it just running too rich now that the leaks are gone?

Did the new throttlebody come with the idle air and throttle position sensors attatched or did you attatch your old ones?
If you attatched your old parts, it could be that the TPS is out of adjustment. If you used the new onesthe IAC could be bad. Both checks/adjustments can be found at www.vfaq.com under the intake section.
Is the BISS seal in good shape and was the new TB clean when you intalled it?

I attatched the old ones... and that got me thinking. Because the TPS is really sensitive and if it were mis placed on the throttle body I could have : idle problems... but I didn't know if that pertained to the throttle bodies that came with those specific tps from the manufacture or what.

2Gs have a weird thing going on with the TPS, but 1Gs seem pretty easy. Check VFAQ for correct testing/adjustments.

oh thanks man. I actly have taken off and put back on my old throttle body and this new one so I'm cool. thanks so much for your help tho man.
just one question, was that a voltometer on the tps they were showing on that thread u gave me in the intake section. I didn't know what he hooked up to the tps terminals.

They used an old meter, but I'd suggest getting a DMM (digital multimeter). You can find them in the $5-$1500 range...and I'd suggest just for automotive testing , something in the $15 range (If you find a link to one and want to know if it's good enough lemme know). They test ohms, voltage, amperage, temperature, frequency, pn junctions....all kinds of stuff.

That article said that a 91-94 had the big throttle body. Does the 90 not? If not what size is it?

no the throttle body for ## 1990 talon is a bit smaller. Most people suggest making the conversion to the bigger 91-94 throttle bodies for the 1gs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back