The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Throttle body ground & coolant line hookup questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheidemanjr

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2009
medina, New_York
So I took off my TB the other day, in a attempt to rebuild the shaft seals and what not. Things didn't go so well, after I got it all back together it still leaks. The throttle plate was beat up, the BISS screw is striped out and the plate gets stuck about half way and won't close, unless you twist it by hand. Anyway, I bought a new TB and was wondering two things...
  1. There are two tabs coming off of the bottom of the TB that look like they should be grounds or something not sure, should it be grounded?
  2. Which coolant lines go where on the bottom? I forgot to mark them when I removed it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
So I took of my t.b the other day in a attempt to rebuild the shafts with new o rings and what not. Things dident go so well after I got it all back toghter they still leak, the throttle plate was beat to sh!t, the biis screw is striped out and the plate gets stuck about half way and don't close unlees you twist it by hand any way I bought a new tb and was wondering to thing. One is the are to tabs coming of bottom of the t.b look like they shouldd be grounds or something not sure, should it be grounded? Second is which coolant lines go wher on the bottom I forgot to marks then when I removed it. Thanks in advance

The TB does have to be grounded, but the ground strap is that hard metal tab that bolts onto the top front TB elbow nut, and screws to the top of the TB.

The straps on the bottom are just to secure the wiring harness.

Are you by any chance related to mheidemanjr585?

Lol yeah same person I had this sn when I had my last dsm and forgot about it so I made a new one don't ask how I rembered this sn but I switched back sense I got more rep with this sn. What about coolant lines I noticed one comes from right around the thermostat housing. And the other one taps in to coolant lines. Ok my throttle body was not grounded when I removed it so better figure out how to ground the new one when it comes in.

I got my sputtering issue all worked out waiting on new throttle body to get in than I need wideband installed and run threw my link and a tune was hopeing you'd still be able to do that

Yeah no problem. Too bad you didn't contact me sooner, I could have rebuilt your throttle body.

Thanx for the advice ill be sure to do the block off on the new throttle body. As for the ground I had no idea the t.b was grounded either till I ran acrossed it in a search, I'm am still on the hunt for a pic of the ground ill post one if I find it

Throttle body ground? This is new for me. Anybody have a pic of this?

Oh, I remembered wrong; it's the top back nut:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Either way, the ground is clearly pictured here. Ignore the magenta circle around the BISS.

I'm not sure if you drive your car in cold weather, but if you decide you don't like ice building up around your TB blade, here's how the hoses go.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'll take your old garbage TB if you don't want it.

Last edited:
Hm, I never had that metal tab nor have I ever had any issues with my throttle freezing up. I don't exactly see how it could freeze up anyway.

To me that ground strap makes no sense since the elbow isnt grounded to anything. If anything its more grounded to the manifold by the screws than a tab to the tb elbow.

I just searched a little and found that the ground strap is for 1gs that use the idle switch. Looks like the tab feeds the throttle body and intake mani, the ground comes from a wire connected from the firewall to the bolt on the tab. Us 2gs don't need it because our tps has a built in idle switch.

Actually the tab just supplies ground to the TB by grounding it to the stud/bolt that threads into the IM. Otherwise the TB would be insulated (sandwiched) between the two gaskets, and not actually grounded to the manifold. The manifold may (usually did at one point) have a ground strap on it elsewhere, but it generally gets a pretty good ground to the cylinder head via the manifold bolts, and the support bracket underneath holding it to the block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back