The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Throttle Body Adapter/Cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
I’m working out some new ideas for parts. I’m mocking the holes for our DSM throttle body.

I wanted to make adapters for throttle bodies off of other cars. What throttle bodies do we commonly use, maybe that we’d like to see?
I was also tossing around the idea of a spacer in front of the throttle body that pumps cold water through it to cool the incoming air. Is throttle body freezing a big deal?
Any other ideas?
Should mention that these will be CNC’d, not 3D printed.

The Mustang 5.0 throttle body is a good one, some guys use a Nissan throttle body, maybe a Viper or Vette throttle body could be made to work? I'm not sure on those two but I'm guessing that they would have to be a decent size and thats what the point in going to an aftermarket throttle body is right? mostly bigger size and more potential flow, maybe better durability over the stock Dsm unit otherwise?

For the cooler idea, what would you be supplying it with? Coolant I think would be too hot. Are you planning some auxiliary pump for this?
Yes, an aux pump. I was thinking of making it like an ice box, and cold water would be pumped through. It's more of an "ice it down and go race" sort of deal.

The air is there for a millisecond with only a faction of it actually coming in contact with the metal. Gains or losses probably wouldn't even be measurable. If anything the complexity and weight of it all would be a step backward.

The air is there for a millisecond with only a faction of it actually coming in contact with the metal. Gains or losses probably wouldn't even be measurable. If anything the complexity and weight of it all would be a step backward.
I thought about that too. I was actually thinking of engineering basically the entire elbow.

Even then you're basically making a 4" long hollow AWIC. I just don't see it doing anything worthwhile.

If it was a legit barrel AWIC the size of the tb elbow, it would be so small the area vs cooling ability would be awful at best. I wedged the biggest AWIC I could fit in my space and sort of regret doing it all said and done.

Even then you're basically making a 4" long hollow AWIC. I just don't see it doing anything worthwhile.

If it was a legit barrel AWIC the size of the tb elbow, it would be so small the area vs cooling ability would be awful at best. I wedged the biggest AWIC I could fit in my space and sort of regret doing it all said and done.
Ok myb throttle body adapters first LOL

Forgive me for being ignorant but isn't the job of cooling/condensing air the whole point of the turbo and intercooler set up?

I always thought the throttle body wanted warm air because fuel atomizes better in less dense air. I would think that a throttle body cooler would work against what you want, at least in a turbocharged engine.

Anyway I think an LS throttle body would be pretty good if you could get it to fit. Having 32mm more diameter would significantly increase open throttle airflow I would think :hellyeah:

I’m working out some new ideas for parts. I’m mocking the holes for our DSM throttle body.

I wanted to make adapters for throttle bodies off of other cars. What throttle bodies do we commonly use, maybe that we’d like to see?
I was also tossing around the idea of a spacer in front of the throttle body that pumps cold water through it to cool the incoming air. Is throttle body freezing a big deal?
Any other ideas?
Should mention that these will be CNC’d, not 3D printed.
Any update on throttle body adapters?

Cool story actually, I was recently driving across Canada (moving) in my Mk4 diesel golf and the waterpump blew up with 2 days of driving left. Problem is the waterpump is off the timing belt, so I would have to pull half the engine on the highway and do a timing and waterpump job. Even if I wanted to, most of the parts stores in Ontario are closed on the weekend. I limped the golf about an hour and a half towards the dealership, pouring coolant and had to fill it up with whatever water I had every 10-15 minutes. The car completely turned off 20 minutes from the stealership. Had it towed to the stealership and finished the drive in a rental. Actually going back to pick up the ol' girl today, 4 more full days of driving to get her back home. Turns out the waterpump gear straight up exploded, chunks of metal and the whole deal. Didn't bend a valve or anything though, so I'm lucky.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back