The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Thoughts on these 18" wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucid15

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I ideally wanted a 5 spoke gloss black to go with my black 95 gsx. but whats your thoughts on these rims? I dont know much about wheels/tires like the offset etc. but want to put a decent tire on it. The wheels are 18" V035 Dual drilled 5/108 5/114.3 5/4.5 38mm offset. I can get the set for $400, is this a good deal?

Attachments

• IMG_20120612_171658.jpg
    IMG_20120612_171658.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 81
Whats the width? Those are Velocity VW035 which go for $120-130 brand new, so $400 seems kind of steep. I also don't like multi-pattern rims for no reason other than taste. But if they are 7-8" wide with +38 offset, the fitment should be pretty nice. They'll sit about flush with the fenders, but be prepared for rubbing issues if you lower the suspension.

Ya not a fan of multi pattern either.. I'm just trying to find a set of ideally 5 spoke gloss black rims or 6 spoke but having a hell of a time. I don't really plan on lowering the suspension as I hit my bumper on enough stuff already, and it's also my dd. I would be fine with some evo rims but I can't find any. Anyone have any suggestions? The huge chrome ones that my car came with are unbearable. Btw these rims are brand new.. So $400 for the set doesn't seem bad

Well for a stock height DD, I'd suggest looking for 17's. IMO, 18's look kinda weird with wheel gap. Plus, low-profile tires usually ride like crap, cost a fortune, and suck in bad weather compared to stock spec tires. My 18's with 235/40 performance tires look great with 2" drop and grip well on dry roads. But for bad weather, long trips, and even drag racing I swap to my 16's with 205/55 snow tires. Which were 1/2 the price and have 4x the warranty. So I'd suggest something like 17x7 with 225/45 tires.

Tire rambling aside, I'd personally rather buy old OEM and brand-name rims (Enkei, OZ, BBS, etc) instead of new "Replica" rims (Konig, Rota, Drag, etc). That' just me though. The Evo Enkei's are difficult to find and usually have a heavy price tag. But there's tons of 17" wheels out there including factory sets like the 3g/GSX rims. Most any factory alloy rims from other cars look good. Look on Craigslist or even local eBay ads. If you don't like the color, you could always have them painted or powder coated. Hell, just rattle-can them yourself if your on a budget.

Here's a couple CL ads from your area.

Enkei Wheels with Goodyear Tires

G35 17 INCH 4 RIMS WHEELS

Well for a stock height DD, I'd suggest looking for 17's. IMO, 18's look kinda weird with wheel gap. Plus, low-profile tires usually ride like crap, cost a fortune, and suck in bad weather compared to stock spec tires. My 18's with 235/40 performance tires look great with 2" drop and grip well on dry roads. But for bad weather, long trips, and even drag racing I swap to my 16's with 205/55 snow tires. Which were 1/2 the price and have 4x the warranty. So I'd suggest something like 17x7 with 225/45 tires.

Tire rambling aside, I'd personally rather buy old OEM and brand-name rims (Enkei, OZ, BBS, etc) instead of new "Replica" rims (Konig, Rota, Drag, etc). That' just me though. The Evo Enkei's are difficult to find and usually have a heavy price tag. But there's tons of 17" wheels out there including factory sets like the 3g/GSX rims. Most any factory alloy rims from other cars look good. Look on Craigslist or even local eBay ads. If you don't like the color, you could always have them painted or powder coated. Hell, just rattle-can them yourself if your on a budget.

Here's a couple CL ads from your area.

Enkei Wheels with Goodyear Tires

G35 17 INCH 4 RIMS WHEELS

Thank you so much for the insight. Im really interested in those Enkeis you linked me to. How much is it usually to powdercoat a set? Not sold on the tires it comes with however as the reviews are terrible for them. I would probably get a drop in the near future but the scraping thing is just so annoying, even at stock height i have to take most curb entrances at an angle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back