The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Thoughts on fuel tank sealant/lining?

Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewpy Dawg

15+ Year Contributor
May 18, 2008
Sachse, Texas
I'm cleaning up the fuel tank from my 1G that has sat for 20 years only a quarter full. Surprisingly it's not very rusty and I'll get that removed easily. I'm debating what to do after that. The car will be run on E85 when it's done sometime in the future. I know people have talked about ethanol attracting moisture and it could cause the tank to rust again if it's not kept topped up all the time. I'm considering the POR-15 gas tank sealer which has a lot of good reviews and is claimed to be impervious to ethanol, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I don't want the tank to rust again, and possibly be worse the second time around. Anyone have any experience with E85 in un-lined tanks and whether it's a rust risk or not? If I can thoroughly clean the tank, spray it with fogging oil, close it up, and then just fill it with E85 when the time comes that would certainly be easier. But if the sealer is the only thing that's going to keep it safe long term then I'll spend the money and do the work.

2 of my 3 cars are on E and when I open the fuel pump cover to inspect them, they are sparkling clean. We have started using "old" E as a cleaner if I don't think it's fresh. It cleans fantastic, but removes ALL OILS from whatever you are cleaning. Just my experience with my 2 E85 cars. I do "pickle" them with gas if they are going to sit over 6 months. The tanks both continue to look nice and clean.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back