The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

those who have made 400+ on an EVO III 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This a very good, interesting thread. I will elaborate myself when I'm at home, I can't type a novel at work unfortunatly.

I would like to see a video of a 400WHP 16g DSM. Anyone have one somewhere?

Wouldn't airflow be more indicative of compressor speeds? With higher boost you are just reaching that airflow sooner in the rev range and holding it there. Boost may drop, but only because the engine is able to ingest it at higher rpm. I'm trying to look at a compressor map and make sense of my reasoning but I've never been very good with them in the first place. Higher boost may however cause more stress/load on the bearings, more so than the speed alone.

Wouldn't airflow be more indicative of compressor speeds? With higher boost you are just reaching that airflow sooner in the rev range and holding it there. Boost may drop, but only because the engine is able to ingest it at higher rpm. I'm trying to look at a compressor map and make sense of my reasoning but I've never been very good with them in the first place. Higher boost may however cause more stress/load on the bearings, more so than the speed alone.

Yes, and overspeeding a turbo wears down the bearings faster. High boost = high compressor speeds. High airflow = high compressor speeds. High boost and high airflow leads to this: :ohdamn: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/326752-write-caption-picture.html

^^^LOL amen again!

What bad 16gs did you get plagued with BlackBullit. I have been spiking too 30+psi for over a year on a 4 year old turbo and still zero in out shaft play and very little side to side. My brother is doing the same and his turbo is over 6 years old and no in out shaft play. Jack ran 40+psi spikes (welded WG and lots of porting) for two race seasons on a 5 year old turbo before it finally gave out.

I've blown my share of 16g turbos after welding their wastegate shut. As I recall: they spike like your turbo, then fall to a boost that yours falls to. Then after a few thousand miles: shake shake shake wable wable wable wable. New MHI turbo. . .MHI turbos last a while; but there's nothing like over revving them to blow them up. All turbos blow up when you overrev them. They blow up. It's just a fact of life. Really. Nevermind the raves and reviews. You actually CAN blow up a glorious MHI turbo ;) . All you have to do is expect 400+ whp out of a turbo designed to output 42lb/min airflow in typical ambient conditions. It's your call.

Wait, I've just been inspired to buy a used HX35 holset and ditch my useless & expensive EVOIII 16g.
Nah, think I'll keep my rapid spool instead and make a shit load more than 400 w.h.p. and embarass
a few big turbo DSMs.

There's nothing big about an hx35. Unless you think a large compressor a/r to counter surge makes a big turbo. Don't forget your electric water pump to get the most out of your 425+ whp evo3 16g setup. Lucas English is running one. Maybe you'll pick up one for a steal (whatever a steal means to you :rolleyes:).

I'll be the first with my dyno graph. This was on a dyno dynamics locally, tuned by Shane(Ecoli). These were last years numbers, nothing to hide all on my 2g. Walbro 255 w/stock fpr, 880cc inj, stock intake mani, ported stock exhaust mani, E316g, ported O2, 3" exhuast, dsmlink, Injen intake w/ vibrant filter, E85 , Hahn universal fmic w/ custom hard steel powder coated piping, 1g bov, comp 101200's, arp head studs, fidanza flywheel, Archer racing 2600 kevlar clutch, shep stage 3 tranny, some 16" aftermarket wheels.

All the local guys say the dyno dynamics dyno at dbptuning.com is reading 18% lower than the Dynojet at Maperformance.com So, if you like to bench race you can do the math. This year I'm hoping for some better numbers with a 2.3 and some other goodies. Hope this might help someone. And I went 12.00 at 119 at Brainerd Raceway almost full weight(no spare) I'd guess around 3400lbs

85601d1216674722-e85-evoiii-high-boost-06-18-2008-09-18-10pm-small-.jpg

Attachments

• 06-16-2008 10;27;54PM (Small).jpg
    06-16-2008 10;27;54PM (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 676
How dare you post anything less than 400 w.h.p. Just kidding, looks good man.

If you do the 18% conversion to the dynojet you get 422awhp... but that is bench racing so whatever. I'm excited to see what a Magnus intake mani, and a 8.8:1 2.3L will yeild on it.

All the local guys say the dyno dynamics dyno at dbptuning.com is reading 18% lower than the Dynojet at Maperformance.com So, if you like to bench race you can do the math. This year I'm hoping for some better numbers with a 2.3 and some other goodies. Hope this might help someone. And I went 12.00 at 119 at Brainerd Raceway almost full weight(no spare) I'd guess around 3400lbs

Mine did 370 on their dyno, and 414 on MAP's dynojet.

That ain't 450whp. That's a maxed out turbo. That's a good graph and congratulations. You're ready for the next level. Your turbo is not. Is it everyone's suggestion to run a tiny turbo to the absolute ragged edge?

That ain't 450whp. That's a maxed out turbo. That's a good graph and congratulations. You're ready for the next level. Your turbo is not. Is it everyone's suggestion to run a tiny turbo to the absolute ragged edge?

Hmmm?:D
That's the only way to reach the magic goal of having quick spoolup and lots of power.
The tradeoff is that the little turbo might not last as long, which isn't so bad since there are plenty of enjoyable turbos available for upgrade.

Hmmm?:D
That's the only way to reach the magic goal of having quick spoolup and lots of power.
The tradeoff is that the little turbo might not last as long, which isn't so bad since there are plenty of enjoyable turbos available for upgrade.

Hey what about big turbo, stroker and nitrous if you want that kind of spool/powerband :sneaky:

Yeah, the EVOIII 16g is the bad ass. My immediate plans are installing an ACT 2600 clutch, Kelford 272/272 cams with upgraded springs/retainers, 11 lb forged flywheel, and a 3" downpipe. I tune on DSMLink, so I'm hoping to improve my 398 w.h.p. (dsmlink estimate) to around 430-440 w.h.p. Along with my rebuilt tranny with shorter EVOIII 3rd and 4th gears sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, the car should be a raging beast. Then the E85 goes in just in case the car isn't fast enough. After that, I'm not sure I want a bigger turbo since my tranny is gonna be screaming for mercy:D I have absolutely no problems whatsoever replacing the EVOIII 16g completely on a biannual basis if needed:cool: Yes, I must run this turbo to the ragged edge:D

Isn't that the dream though? The evo3 16g really is too big for about half the people that put one on. Most of the people who upgrade would be better off with a 14b but they like the idea of being able to grow into a high hp car. In fact what is the point of moving to a larger turbo at all if a smaller one supports your goals? The ragged edge might not be the right place to run it but just short of that is the sweet spot for any setup.

I guess I dont really think it is too bad being on the ragged edge. The only way not to be on the edge would be running 15psi on a 20g with a motor built for 1200hp. But then whats the point..? I would rather say that I have completely maxed out my setup and am ready for something new than, be sitting around with a monster turbo and never being able to get into boost. Yes, maybe some day I will add another fuel pump and a 35r but, I think its really fun to be able to make corners and still have a killer powerband.
I also plan on doing some auto x and hopefully some full track events. So, this should be a very good setup for both of those.

Yeah, the EVOIII 16g is the bad ass. My immediate plans are installing an ACT 2600 clutch, Kelford 272/272 cams with upgraded springs/retainers, 11 lb forged flywheel, and a 3" downpipe. I tune on DSMLink, so I'm hoping to improve my 398 w.h.p. (dsmlink estimate) to around 430-440 w.h.p. Along with my rebuilt tranny with shorter EVOIII 3rd and 4th gears sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, the car should be a raging beast. Then the E85 goes in just in case the car isn't fast enough. After that, I'm not sure I want a bigger turbo since my tranny is gonna be screaming for mercy:D I have absolutely no problems whatsoever replacing the EVOIII 16g completely on a biannual basis if needed:cool: Yes, I must run this turbo to the ragged edge:D

As much as I love hearing about maxed out e316g setups, especially from people like you,
I must say that 16g torque curve at the power numbers your reaching for will be MUCH harsher on the tranny than if you did a upgrade in turbo.

For example ( Im just throwing out numbers.)
Say you did 430 ft/lbs of torque with 400awhp on the 16g maxed out
and then put a hx40 and did 450awhp with only say 390 ft/lbs of torque.

The hx40 setup should be faster plus less tranny stress in that scenario.
Kind of weird how it works out like that though, but at the end of the day to each his own.

I used to fully support dedicating to the e316g for a street car. Perfect balance of spool and top end power, with great useable powerband,
and if done right a sick hit. Its a great turbo, but Im just seeing other alternatives now that can be just as great as the 16g or even better
after you've weighed all the pros and cons in the basket. Also most of guys on this forum who are really having fun on these little turbos have local ethanol.
I dont have that convenience. ..

As much as I love hearing about maxed out e316g setups, especially from people like you,
I must say that 16g torque curve at the power numbers your reaching for will be MUCH harsher on the tranny than if you did a upgrade in turbo.

For example ( Im just throwing out numbers.)
Say you did 430 ft/lbs of torque with 400awhp on the 16g maxed out
and then put a hx40 and did 450awhp with only say 390 ft/lbs of torque.

The hx40 setup should be faster plus less tranny stress in that scenario.
Kind of weird how it works out like that though.

One of the reasons i went with a hx 40. I'm building a high rev head right now. I'm looking to make less than 400 ft/lbs on the dyno and as much hp as possible. 16g's were killing my drivetrain when maxed out.

here is my 400+hp sheet.......and pics of the intake i made. i was isung the sl2 18g, turns out its no better than the e316g.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back