The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This is what can happen using a CF hood with no pins ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxbig16g

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2011
dallas, Texas
Well, took my gsx out for a test drive after I had a few things adjusted. Good news was the car really drove great!! Bad news was the hood couldnt take it haha. Shifted from 1st to 2nd and floored it, then right before the top of 2nd the hood came back and slammed into the windshield! Fun stuff! :ohdamn:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This happened last saturday, I already had the windshield replaced yesterday. I dont really mess around haha. The hood is beat up but still functions so I think im just gonna say whatever and install hood pins and just leave the hood the way it is. :hellyeah:

Not the first...won't be the last. Why'd you install a CF hood with no pins?

Dude that suck. Hate to see this stuff go down. We all put so much time and money into cars just for this to happen. When I installed my front mount I had to bend the part where the bumber bolts on top and my hood dont latch proberly. I think its safe but I bungy it down anyway.

Dude that suck. Hate to see this stuff go down. We all put so much time and money into cars just for this to happen. When I installed my front mount I had to bend the part where the bumber bolts on top and my hood dont latch proberly. I think its safe but I bungy it down anyway.

Do NOT! I repeat DO NOT bungy strap your hood down.. I literally watched some ladys hood fly up on the interstate ### she had hers bungied down..

OP: This happened to me once but it was due to my own stupidity.. I didnt latch my hood all the way.. And same outcome, about 45-50 mph hood smashed my windshield. Luckily there was a windshield place like 200 feet down the road! I drove there :p

Any pics of the face of the hood?

Consider yourself lucky. The OP doesn't share that experience.

Do you have the same hood? Same batch? Same manufacturer?

Hood pins are cheap insurance that you don't damage your car or cause an accident when/if/when your hood flies up at speed.

Yea the hood is about 9 years old. It never broke before but it was latched. Im thinking maybe my knee hit the release lever cause it sags down a bit. Because there is a break in the emergency latch part of the hood now.

Funny part is I bought sparco hood pins a week ago. Was going to have them installed this week. :ohdamn: haha oh well. definately going to get them installed now.
Consider yourself lucky. The OP doesn't share that experience.

Do you have the same hood? Same batch? Same manufacturer?

Hood pins are cheap insurance that you don't damage your car or cause an accident when/if/when your hood flies up at speed.

I'm not sure how many times we tell people on here if you have a carbon fiber hood don't cheap out on some hood pins. That's what happens when you don't pay the extra money for pins.

I'm not sure how many times we tell people on here if you have a carbon fiber hood don't cheap out on some hood pins. That's what happens when you don't pay the extra money for pins.

yea, definately had nothing to do with being cheap. Like I said I ordered them before it happened, I agree. Definately now have learned first hand what can happen. I was about a foot away from hitting the curb and causing alot more damage. Could have been alot worse.

Definately BUY and INSTALL HOOD PINS! haha

This makes me nervous, I'm going to buy some hood pins today... I don't drive my car often. Hell maybe twice a month, but I'm still worried LOL

Omar Naranjo Via Sidekick 4g

I ran an OEM style CF VIS hood for 2 years without an issue. No pins.

I ran an OEM style CF VIS hood for 2 years without an issue. No pins.

Mine is a oem VIS hood as well. not some cheap knock off. I've taken the car up to 160 before and it didnt do this, but it did it going 70. Better safe than sorry LOL. So far im down $200 for the windshield, havent even started messing with the hood yet.

Mine is a oem VIS hood as well. not some cheap knock off. I've taken the car up to 160 before and it didnt do this, but it did it going 70. Better safe than sorry LOL. So far im down $200 for the windshield, havent even started messing with the hood yet.

160 huh? Sure ROFL

Been there, done that. This is what made me part my dsm. LOL

Top of 3rd, about 98mph, BAM!! Smashed my hood, windsheild, shattered sunroof and dented roof.

So I guess my car wasn't taken to 205 mph either? You really shouldn't laugh since you don't know what you're talking about

On a 16g... no... You didn't go 205 and I doubt he went 160. OP wTf are you talking about my talononly goes to 130?? Lol was that a attempt at a insult? I'll laugh when I feel like it punny get off my nuts.

On a 16g... no... You didn't go 205 and I doubt he went 160. OP wTf are you talking about my talononly goes to 130?? Lol was that a attempt at a insult? I'll laugh when I feel like it punny get off my nuts.

I'm not the OP, and unless you have a gsx ecu or modified your ecu, then you're stuck at a ~130mph governor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back