The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Thinking of wrapping my car myself anyone ever try it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
I think everything would be pretty easy except the front bumper, maybe the hood, and the roof because of the skinny A and B pillars so your have to use a huge sheet to down to the windshield to the back of the roof to cover it properly. Everything else seems fairly easy to wrap

I watched CK wraps alot on yt and got some decent pointers.

I did mine but my vinly was a foil base and very tricky to use vs normal wrap. I could not over hest or stretch it withiut it going pink or silver due to the matt color and foil base.

With that said you WILL need to people on some bits! The roof i did i 2 sections, tailgate were 3. Rear bumper 1, front bumper 1 with 4 inserts. Hood in 1 and sides were to easy.

Get the correct tools and gloves and hest gun and it will go along way! Akso cutting string helps also!

The wife helped me in a few spots for the big pieces and starts. Very helpful that was otherwise i would of struggled on big bits. Clean the panels well and do this out of the sun and under a cover with low wind and dust!

I watched CK wraps alot on yt and got some decent pointers.

I did mine but my vinly was a foil base and very tricky to use vs normal wrap. I could not over hest or stretch it withiut it going pink or silver due to the matt color and foil base.

With that said you WILL need to people on some bits! The roof i did i 2 sections, tailgate were 3. Rear bumper 1, front bumper 1 with 4 inserts. Hood in 1 and sides were to easy.

Get the correct tools and gloves and hest gun and it will go along way! Akso cutting string helps also!

The wife helped me in a few spots for the big pieces and starts. Very helpful that was otherwise i would of struggled on big bits. Clean the panels well and do this out of the sun and under a cover with low wind and dust!
Thanks. I'm just going to take my time on it because I'm not in a hurry to get it done. I'll do like a door here, then a fender there until I'm done with the car. Vvivid's gloss black looks really good compared to 3m and another popular wrap it looked like a mirror finish while the other ones looked like it had orange peel to them.

I have a 98 GST that I'll be wrapping once I finish up some other things that will get the panels to where you don't see dents and rock chips. I've wrapped the roof on Evo X's with and without a sunroof and it wasn't that bad as it just takes time and patience but again that is an easier to do flat surface. I like the Avery Dennison wraps as they are easier to deal with and they are not as thick as the vivid wraps.

Things I use to wrap with:

Magnets to hold the wrap:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Gloves to keep from burning your hands when using a heat gun:

Wrap sticks:

Knifeless Cutting Tape:

Vinyl Wrap Kit (felt squeegee, utility knife, vinyl cutter):

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back