The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

thinkin of gettin a 240 w/ SR20DET swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vr4gasmtt

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2006
In, Oregon
Should I do it?

getting tired of the eclipse.. AWD is great but I want to get into driifting or something fun and RWD just sounds like the best thing rightnow.

My buddy bought a 240 and swapped in an SR-20 motor. That car pulled hard, very fun to ride in.

I love my 240......stock KA24DE though.....

theyre great cars...dont even think about driving it in winter though

:thumb:

I'd rather put a turbo on the KA for more torque.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My best freind has a swapped 240, the car went 12.9 on the T25 and it went 12.2 with a TD06 20G at only 18PSI//// The car now has 272s and 30psi with slicks hes going to the track again and seeing what its going to do.

I really want to build a 240 really bad

i agree with brandon eerr Bhop. The Ka24 is a underrated motor 2.4L DOHC 16Valve Cast-iron block. You can build a a KA24 for 1/2 the cost of a SR20 swap and kick the Bajesus out of it :dsm:

dont become another statistic in the fad. stick with the GSX, its better in every way but getting sideways. if you want to get sideways, get a fox 5.0 and you will have way more fun, plus the 5.0 motor has one of the largest aftermarket followings, the possibilities are endless.

PM me on your car, pics, details and how much you might want for it. i know a few people around here looking for 2g GSX's, and oregon aint that far for a good deal.

if you get one just turbo the KA24.
very strong block with a lot of torque

The 2.4 is a damn good motor, if you look at dyno graphs it like a V8 in terms of Tq and how much low down power it will make with a turbo....Def a good setup to go with, and the cars are meant for much more than side ways.

They are very good drag cars, my freind drag races his only and has a setup of slicks and skinnys going on the car with the new setup. Should put down a very very good time......

On a small Drag radail the car would 1.6 60 foot all day long with tein coil overs, now that should tell you the cars are good for drag......O and thats with the 20G with NO STUDDER BOX!!!!!!!!!!

How are the transmissions on the 240's. I've been trying to find one also while my eclipse is down. Been wannting to do some drifting for awhile.

yeah i would def go for it man. i've been looking for a good deal on a 240 for a while.....they are def beasts and will be a blast to let loose on the road.

funniegus said:
How are the transmissions on the 240's. I've been trying to find one also while my eclipse is down. Been wannting to do some drifting for awhile.

Do you mean in term of reliability? If so, mine has been great. None of the guys I know have ever seemed to have had any trouble with their trannys. When guys swap in the SR they usually swap the SRs tranny in too.

240s are alot of fun. Mine is completely stock (for now) but it can still let loose, especailly in the rain! The stock KA has a decent amount of power (but would feel slow to any turbo DSM owner)

Its pretty reliable too. Ive had a few problems here and there, but nothing I couldnt handle. Check out 240sxforums.com (My name is crazy E on there as well) or NICO. Lots of info!

good luck finding one though...everyone nowadays seems to want one. It took me 2 years to find one that I really liked

:thumb:

MY gsx needs a rebuild in engine and turbo etc etc... too much for me to fix, thats why I'm looking toward a 240.

While a turbo KA will be faster than an SR, the SR motor is more tuned and is lighter and a better motor for drifting.

The only thing I don't like about 240's is the interior, thats whats kind of holding me back on getting one at the moment, I'm thinking of getting an s14.

Kind of changing the thread here but what car would you guys get if you guys had to leave your DSM?

To the above poster. R2 RX-7

I can't say that I haven't looked around here and there for that and a 240. But my moneys still going into finishing the DSM.

vr4gasmtt said:
MY gsx needs a rebuild in engine and turbo etc etc... too much for me to fix, thats why I'm looking toward a 240.

While a turbo KA will be faster than an SR, the SR motor is more tuned and is lighter and a better motor for drifting.

The only thing I don't like about 240's is the interior, thats whats kind of holding me back on getting one at the moment, I'm thinking of getting an s14.

Kind of changing the thread here but what car would you guys get if you guys had to leave your DSM?

A LS1 car hands down!!@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My freind went Low 11s with boltons and spray on a DR, LS1 is def my next car, but if it was to be a turbo car it would be a 240.

You do understand a 2.4 liter motor with turbo matched to its needs is the pefect motor setup?!

And it has the power were you need it, it makes a shit load more TQ than a SR!

Doesnt any one get it, in drifting HP is nothing is all about TQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it, GTOs, vipers etc are doing so well

well I've done research on the sr20 vs ka-t , and even though the ka-t will yeild more power and be faster, it isn't necessarily the most reliable motor when turbo charged, it was built for trucks... soo yea..

There are alot more blown ka-t out there then there are blown SR's.

Also.. I don't like makin another post, soo what car should I get besides a 240? keep in mind... doesn't need to be RWD, can also be AWD. None of that FWD stuff.. LOL, never going back to FWD..

vr4gasmtt said:
well I've done research on the sr20 vs ka-t , and even though the ka-t will yeild more power and be faster, it isn't necessarily the most reliable motor when turbo charged, it was built for trucks... soo yea..

There are alot more blown ka-t out there then there are blown SR's.

That's called "user error".

Of course if it's not built right internally, it won't be as reliable, but for the price of an SR swap, you can do that internal building and make a reliable fun car (iron block man). I'd be willing to bet that most of those 'blown' KA's are because some fool thought they could just bolt on a turbo to a stock motor with 150k+ miles and crank the boost up.

i'd try to get a starion and try to drift that. i don't know if i'd be the first but maybe the few

bhop said:
That's called "user error".

Of course if it's not built right internally, it won't be as reliable, but for the price of an SR swap, you can do that internal building and make a reliable fun car (iron block man). I'd be willing to bet that most of those 'blown' KA's are because some fool thought they could just bolt on a turbo to a stock motor with 150k+ miles and crank the boost up.

Yes very high miles, and user error there is going to be problems.

My freind regrets the SR20 swap, he said he should have stuck with the KA. To many people are JDM NUT SWINGERs...........On a side note, he sold the 240 and he is almost done with a LS1 in a FC Turbo II!!!!!!!!!The car is mint with a cammed LS1 its going to be a balst to drive.

vr4gasmtt said:

this is the most idiotic thing i have heard all week. WHO CARES IF IT WAS A TURCK MOTOR!

GUESS WHAT THE FORD GT MOTOR COMES FROM????

GIVE UP

A F150!

Any car with a castiron block is tougher than any aluminum block. Castiron blocks can with stand crap loads more of Forced Induction. Also, in drifting you dont want a "lighter" engine up front. It is a known fact that near 50/50 split cars dont drift well since its hard to get the back end loose. That is why you dont see many RX7s, S2000, Miata, or RX8s drifting. Look at Formula D what are the BEST drift cars right now: Mustang, GTO, and 350z. Furthermore, what do those three have in common?....lots of Torque for there respective engine size. Those 400cc will probably spool 20% faster than a 2.0L; making your peak torque lower in ## rev range.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back