The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Things needed for hunting deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
Ok guys, its really cool that I just bought a rifle. Its a Remington 710 using 30-06. I'm asking what do i need other than the hunting license to go get myself a deer. I know the season is over in Jan. 22. Does a hunting license require educational class? Or is it pay on the spot and you get it? I really would like to go with my dad, but would like to know from an expierenced hunter what it takes to kill a deer. Thanks

You need a car that you dont really care about and a canyon road late in the evening. Works everytime! :p

Ok guys, its really cool that I just bought a rifle. Its a Remington 710 using 30-06. I'm asking what do i need other than the hunting license to go get myself a deer. I know the season is over in Jan. 22. Does a hunting license require educational class? Or is it pay on the spot and you get it? I really would like to go with my dad, but would like to know from an expierenced hunter what it takes to kill a deer. Thanks

Here in Pa you have to take a hunters safety course. Not sure if is the same in Texas. I would call a local gun dealer and ask. They could also tell you where to go if you need to take one.

I hunt every year and I love it. I just took a buddy of mine out for his first hunt and he got a decent 8 point. I could not have been prouder.;) But on the other hand some people cannot handle killing something. I dosent bother me, what I kill I eat simple as that. Good Luck!

No not the TALON!! Any one from texas know a bit or two about hunting?

Yes you seem young so you need hunter safty and it will probaly be to late to get the class. Ussualy if your 65 and old you don't need one because of the war or something. I live on almost 2 sq. Miles of land(1440 acres) and we live hunting here in michigan. You need some patients and a steady hand. You might want to notice where you put your stand and stuff. face it the right way so the wind doesn't affect your hunting. They sence of smell is great. But yet again we hunt with shotguns (mine is a 12 g semi auto 1947 browning-made in belgium)(LOL) it is probaly easy with a 30 yat. 6. But there is my little bit of a alot of advise. O ya last year thanxgiving i got my 8 point-18 in spread and 6 inch tines. My step dad got 12 point and 20 inch spead( monster)

Yes you seem young so you need hunter safty and it will probaly be to late to get the class. Ussualy if your 65 and old you don't need one because of the war or something. I live on almost 2 sq. Miles of land(1440 acres) and we live hunting here in michigan. You need some patients and a steady hand. You might want to notice where you put your stand and stuff. face it the right way so the wind doesn't affect your hunting. They sence of smell is great. But yet again we hunt with shotguns (mine is a 12 g semi auto 1947 browning-made in belgium)(LOL) it is probaly easy with a 30 yat. 6. But there is my little bit of a alot of advise. O ya last year thanxgiving i got my 8 point-18 in spread and 6 inch tines. My step dad got 12 point and 20 inch spead( monster)

Spelling owns you.:tease:

You cant just go out and kill a dear. You have to know where to hit it, so it dies quickly. How to kill it if it isint dead when you get to it. how to field dress it so its worthwhile to eat. you need patience and need to know where good spots to hunt are. You need to be able to read terrain and wind etc.

My advice is get your license, take a hunting course and hunt with someone that knows what they are doing for a year or two

My advice is get your license, take a hunting course and hunt with someone that knows what they are doing for a year or two

Absolutely. There is no better way of doing it. In some places, a hunter's safety course is required, but they're good to take anyway. At mine, we got some interesting books that outlined how to tell what animal made what track, the rules and laws of hunting, and what to do after you've downed your game. Which brings me to my next point.... :)

I really would like to go with my dad, but would like to know from an expierenced hunter what it takes to kill a deer.

3 things here.

1. Are you saying your dad isn't an experienced hunter? Does he suck at it? Goes out every year, but only comes back with some empty beer cans. :) Just kidding. Dads and uncles are probably the #1 source for information and experience when it comes to teaching kids how to hunt.

2. You'll need a fairly strong stomach. The first time I shot a deer, my Dad showed me how to field dress it while I held the legs apart, then when we got back home, how to skin it and butcher it. The next time I got one, I was the one holding the knife and pulling the guts out, and he was the one holding the legs apart. Now, you could take the easy way out and have a store or taxidermist skin and butcher the deer, but in Michigan's case, by law I believe you MUST field dress the game more or less on the spot. So, keep a sharp knife handy and try to breathe through your mouth. Don't pay too much attention to what you're pulling out of the deer, otherwise.... :barf: (been waiting to use that smiley for a while now.)

3. Ammo. Guns are nice, but they need something to propel towards the deer at lethal velocity. In most cases, bullets work, but insults or obscenities yelled down the barrel have been known to at least scare away some deer. The only reason I remind you of ammunition is because once, my Dad forgot his. And of course, that was the day he saw a giant buck. :)

Good luck.

Well im 19 and never hunted before. I do however like to go fishing and get the fish cleaned up so it might not be that bad. My dad has never hunted, well from my 19yrs. of life i've have never heard my dad go hunting. We are both newbies. This is my first rifle, actually this is the first firearm my family has LOL. I bought the rifle before season is over. Maybe I might go with my boss hunting, he is an experience hunter but he is some serious drinker. So im thinking about it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back