The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Thieves Can’t Drive Manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogWhistle

Supporting VIP
Sep 13, 2012
St. Paul, Minnesota
Almost certain that is a 2G the reporter is sitting in at the beginning of the story:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The ultimate security device, a manual transmission. Even better would be to remove the shifter when you park the car. I actually have a Multilock U-Lock locking the shifter in reverse. But it's 29 years old and probably easy to defeat by now. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Lots of parts one can remove to deter thieves. I used to drop my trans every time I parked it. Ok, not really, but that would certainly work.

Our cars are super easy to break into. 1 hit on the lock and it pushes into the door and a screwdriver can then unlock it. I know that's not the situation here but just keep in mind that ANYONE can get into your car, and if they can get in they can pop the hood. Just imagine if you had hours how many expensive parts you could strip off one of these once the hood is open...protect your investment guys

That does raise an interesting question - just how much of a theft risk is a 30 year old car?

In my case, it won't be an engine bay of 4 digit valuable goodies, but with a new paint job it's going to look decent. Assuming I don't leave tempting valuables in the car, would it get broken into? Would someone want it for resale or parts? I mean it's not like its a BMW or Cobra. Not talking big city risk, more like relaxed suburbia.

So many anti theft devices and do dads that e mobilize cars still cant stop some retard with a gun. So happy this lady was spared and not just another statistic .
I thought of installing a start button with transmitter key system.. With this come a valley key ... That`s the one you give them . It`s range is s short distance from your main key fob .. So your safe and they are dead in the water.. I would bet that those kids come from bad parenting. Letting them run wild in the streets when you know full well what this world has become. Sure ... we can`t see everything they are doing but you can see it the way they act.. Pull your pants up kid.. No one wants to see your butt hangin out..Silly kid thinks it looks cool...Sorry folks for ranting but if I knew who those kids where I`d kick their ass myself......And this is not a black thing.. my nephew is as white as I am and he dresses like that and don`t understand what the word job means .. The mans in this thirty's and lives in his mommy's basement.
Okay okay sorry again bye

29 years and only one lame attempt to break in, when some bozo tried to use a house key to open the driver door. Fool broke off the tip and left the lock unusable for years until I finally got around to opening things up and removing the offending piece. And I lived in Manhattan for over 8 years and kept it parked on the street. The pathetic break in attempt was in an apartment building garage in Seattle. I've been lucky I guess.

The car still has the original aftermarket Clifford alarm system, long since disabled. One day I might yank it and install something recent. I have no idea what today's security systems can do. I assume they can alert your phone, activate a dash cam, disable the ignition, hidden tracking device, etc. I'm not worried about carjacking since few people can drive stick these days, and I generally don't drive late at night in sketchy areas.

What do you folks do, security-wise? I assume no one has an actual alarm that does little more than wake up and annoy the neighbors, at least not one that's activated?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back