The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Thieves and car protection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwUoNoG

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2004
Perry Hall/Parkville, Maryland
What does everyone do to protect their rides?

I heard about some alarm that causes pain, and even induces vomiting. I'd like to get one of those.

Just post what you do to prevent robbery/vandalization.

basically my car just looks stock and normal.. so why would a theif want to steal the average car :thumb:

My car runs like ass. So when they see me driving they are like"dam thats a pos".

I've never heard of anything that causes pain, just get a good system. My car was broken into once and it won't happen again. I have the stock alarm, plus an aftermarket with it's own power supply that also runs a radar sweep inside the car in case someone tries to cut the top.

Heh, maybe hook a cattle prod system up the steering wheel (if its metal).
OUCH! 500,000 Volts. Ive never of heard of anything like that in the US though, youd have to build it yourself proably. I did hear thst in South Africa though, due to the horrible carjacking rates there, some people have gotten permission to mount flamethrowers on their cars!

I hired a two foot midget with an Uzi to hide in my trunk while Im driving. When I park he hides under the car. Haven't had a problem yet.

Seriously though, a decent alarm with a paging system should be sufficient.

you're thinking of the autotazer - it's kind of like the club but it is electrified - you have to disarm it with a remote
there are also things called piezo pain generators that produce an extremely loud high frequency that will usually make you puke
also look for something called the dragon - fills your car with an oderless smoke so the theif can't see what he's doing

I'd rather not have someone puke in my car... some sort of guillotine to cut thier fingers off would be quite alright :thumb:

ShadowWulf said:
Heh, maybe hook a cattle prod system up the steering wheel (if its metal).
OUCH! 500,000 Volts. Ive never of heard of anything like that in the US though, youd have to build it yourself proably. I did hear thst in South Africa though, due to the horrible carjacking rates there, some people have gotten permission to mount flamethrowers on their cars!

Actually, in the US, stuff like this is illegal. According to the law, you can't "booby trap" your vehicle or your home. If somsone tries to steal your car and they get electrocuted by a booby trap, they can sue you and own the car :mad:

My reputation protects my car :) Noone wants to steal the local kung fu teacher's car :thumb:

95eclipseGST008 said:
Doesnt really matter if they have a gun.

How do they know I won't have a firearm? I doubt that's a risk most petty criminals are willing to take (considering I live in bumsville, not Detriot). And considering what I do for a living, it's not a stretch of the imagination to think I'd shoot your ass if I caught you stealing my car :laugh:

What about a detachable steering wheel? Can't steal a car if you can't drive it.this

Quasimondo said:
What about a detachable steering wheel? Can't steal a car if you can't drive it.this

That's a good idea, by my luck is I'd lose it ;)

onepimpclipse said:
I hired a two foot midget with an Uzi to hide in my trunk while Im driving. When I park he hides under the car. Haven't had a problem yet.

Well my midget has one of those choking wires and sits behind the driver seat. :p

Actually, I got the stock alarm on mine when it is running, not a problem yet. You may want to consider tinting the windows.

Anyone ever use the one that goes over the pedals? I think it's called the autoloc. That looks to be good.

Reposting myself:

1.) Get a piece of 3/8" plywood, 18" square.

2.) Buy some attractive upholstery material that co-ordinates nicely with your interior. Avoid flowery material.

3.) Get some foam rubber, 1½" thick, also 18" square.

4.) With contact cement, attach the foam to the plywood. Make sure all the edges of the plywood are nicely sanded and smooth, so that the foam and the upholstery material will have a good, finished appearance when you're done.

5.) With the foam attached, and on a clean surface, turn the assembly over onto the foam so that the wooden bottom is facing you. Using scrap wood, support the edges of the piece so that the foam is held off the work surface by about ¼".

6.) With a power driver, run approximately 100 motherfu(king drywall screws, 1¼" long, through the backing and into the foam.

7.) Using a tuck-and-bead method, upholster the cushion. It's nice to finish both sides, or do an attractive stain job on the back. You may want to embellish with an appropriate DSM design.

8.) When leaving your car, place the cushion on the driver's seat. Be sure to remove it before sitting again, or when leaving the car with a mechanic (that you like) or a valet.

You now have an attractive, self-powered theft deterrant, complete with its own audible alarm (depending on the thief's singing abilities) and DNA sampler. :thumb:
--------------
I'm also keen on the idea of removing the airbag and filling the space on the front of the rocket with dimes, broken glass, carpet tacks and cat turds. Instead of a crash device, wire it through the alarm and seatbelt switch.
--------------

But back from The Land of Dreams, all you can really hope to do is stall a thief. For protecting a stereo, you can try for tamper-proof heads on the factory mounting rails. For the car, a secret switch for the fuel pump, and possibly something clever with the factory clutch lockout.
The piezo alarm horns from eBay, mounted in the headrest or face vents can't make the interior a pleasant place.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=294&item=5734191175&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And, you can do clever things like a magnetic circuit for the starter, etc:

Attachments

• immobilizer.jpg
    immobilizer.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 315
I've always had good luck making sure I buy houses with two car garages in nice neighborhoods. Currently for extra protection, I'm looking into installing a couple of sprinklers.

Urban_S said:
My car runs like ass. So when they see me driving they are like"dam thats a pos".

:laugh:

reminds me when my car was burning oil like crazy and smoking like a friggin smoke stack. :D the exterior was all clean and waxed while the car sounded like the biggest pos. hahaha. i remember some guy closed his windows because he could smell the oil burning. hahaha. gave me a queer look.

There are alot of nice alarms out that will help. The sad thing is, if a thief wants your car he's gonna get it. I've heard of guys stealing flat bed trucks to take the car cuz they couldn't start the car. I would go with an alarm that will page you. That way you can run out and open a can o'whoop ass....or recieve one. ;)

Lets say if youre going on a vacation, and leaving your car behind. What about disconnecting and removing both battery and MAS? car wouldnt start, and if they did get a battery for it, how well will it run w/o a MAS? He'd have to be one hell of a dedicated theif to go to a junkyard, buy a MAS, and a battery, install it, then drive off with your car...by that time...haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, yeah right. I am moving to Phoenix (Avondale) in 2 weeks, I was thinking of doing this if i was to ever leave my Eclipse alone for the weekend or something. Sound like itd work?

after getting ripped off once and attempted theft once, i now park in the garage. if i need to leave for a long time the old lady next door doesnt drive and has a empty garage she lets me park in and she watches the car.

you can get a good alarm for 300-600 bucks, but its only going to seperate the men from the boys. if theyre smart enough to know what you really have, no alarm is good enough to stop them. look at me, they bent my fender and headlight to get to my hood latch cable and pried open the hood that way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back