The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

There is a sequential shifter for DSMs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STARION

20+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2002
Nova, D.C.
Found this, made specifically for DSM's:

http://seqshiftusa.com/main.htm

I don't really get it, from what I can gather it's just a mechanical device that changes your H-pattern to back and forth sequential motion shifting. I highly doubt it would make your shifts any faster, and seems like it may be a good mod for people who don't know how to shift properly :) ....oh, and for $1400, I think I'd rather have a fully built head, or a BB mutt.

"seems like it may be a good mod for people who don't know how to shift properly"

I think its for the car thats going 80 MPH over a crest and he needs to get to 2nd from 3rd while 5 feet in the air and his drivers telling him a acute turn is ahead with rocks.

Its not for your street driver with a gaint drag turbo w stock suspension.

its sort of a good deal but from what it says it seems to be just a shifter assembly and not a whole tranny, the whole point of having a sequential trans is so u dont have to let off the gas or use the clutch when upshifting, read te faq on the site and it says u need to buy the shifter assembly and the "dog gear box" to actually have sequential gears and not have to use the clutch when upshifting
to me its esentialy pointless unless u get the actual tranny(gear box) to go with it, just like the thing 5 zigen sells that has a button on the shift knob that acts as ur clutch, its somehing different to have in ur car but it doesnt really make u any faster
but im interested in finding out how much it is with the gear box and the shifter together, if its less then 5000 its a very good deal, a sequential for a skyline is several thousand more then that

Originally posted by Cirus_93TSI
its sort of a good deal but from what it says it seems to be just a shifter assembly and not a whole tranny, the whole point of having a sequential trans is so u dont have to let off the gas or use the clutch when upshifting, read te faq on the site and it says u need to buy the shifter assembly and the "dog gear box" to actually have sequential gears and not have to use the clutch when upshifting
to me its esentialy pointless unless u get the actual tranny(gear box) to go with it, just like the thing 5 zigen sells that has a button on the shift knob that acts as ur clutch, its somehing different to have in ur car but it doesnt really make u any faster
but im interested in finding out how much it is with the gear box and the shifter together, if its less then 5000 its a very good deal, a sequential for a skyline is several thousand more then that

for a dog box its about 7k. i am going to have mine built with a 6 speed by the company from australia, they have a dealer here in the US then with this shifter and the AEM set up with a noliftshift kill switch its fully sequential

well that sounds about right for a true sequential trans, but 10k is alot to throw into ur tranny, i certainly can think of things to spend that on 3 times over before i would go out and get a sequential, maybe after my can gets fully built it might be something to look into
having a fully sequential trans would probally drop ur 1/4 times down quite a bit though, not having to let off the gas or use the clutch would be like having the best of both an automatic and a manual trans

Originally posted by Cirus_93TSI
well that sounds about right for a true sequential trans, but 10k is alot to throw into ur tranny, i certainly can think of things to spend that on 3 times over before i would go out and get a sequential, maybe after my can gets fully built it might be something to look into
having a fully sequential trans would probally drop ur 1/4 times down quite a bit though, not having to let off the gas or use the clutch would be like having the best of both an automatic and a manual trans

I am thinking of somthing a little different like 156 turn dirt road that ends at 14k feet and you need to be under 12 minutes:thumb:

we will see

Originally posted by KGB Pilot125

for a dog box its about 7k. i am going to have mine built with a 6 speed by the company from australia, they have a dealer here in the US then with this shifter and the AEM set up with a noliftshift kill switch its fully sequential

The kit you are talking about can be had from http://www.albinsgear.com.au for $3300. Now I beleive that it's in kit form (i just emailed them asking about this) and you have to assemble it yourself which wouldnt be a problem. This is for the 5-speed kit that might be a tad less then the 6-speed kit.

Not to be a nitpicker here but even then with an AEM setup this is not a fully sequential box. This would act like a sequential box, with the forward and back movement to shift the gears, but it still would be an H-pattern transmission. A truly sequential box has a drum inside the case that rotates around in a circle which then moves the sift forks to engage and disengage the different gears. It removes the typical H-pattern shift rails that the shift forks slide on to change the gears.

Originally posted by ecstasytsi

The kit you are talking about can be had from http://www.albinsgear.com.au for $3300. Now I beleive that it's in kit form (i just emailed them asking about this) and you have to assemble it yourself which wouldnt be a problem. This is for the 5-speed kit that might be a tad less then the 6-speed kit.

Not to be a nitpicker here but even then with an AEM setup this is not a fully sequential box. This would act like a sequential box, with the forward and back movement to shift the gears, but it still would be an H-pattern transmission. A truly sequential box has a drum inside the case that rotates around in a circle which then moves the sift forks to engage and disengage the different gears. It removes the typical H-pattern shift rails that the shift forks slide on to change the gears.

I called their distributor in colorado and he quoted me around 7k for the set up but that was him putting it together. I realize this wont be a real sequential box bit its the closest thing to it aht you could get with out spending 40k or more on a ralli art box for a evo 1,2, or 3. I already checked in to that. it should work really well though almost like my shifter kart lift pull back next gear please :D the best thing is your most likely not going to break it while shifting at 8-9k RPMs and the likely hood of missing a shift is near immposible unless it doenst engage properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back