The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

The week After Evo III 16G Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150 said:
What i dont understand is why you payed $700 sum odd dollars for it, unported and with the 31mm waste gate, when you could of payed very close to the same price and got it ported inlet and outlet and a 34mm flapper at slowboyracing.com?

Why dont you reread the first post. I clearly mentioned i got the turbo with the complete 2G install kit for $715 shipped. Slowboy racing charges about $200+ dollars on the install kit alone and there turbo is about $10 or $20 more plus they charge you shipping. The total goes to about $1000+ when u add all these factors up. Im not experiencing any kind of odd creep yet so i really dont care about porting. I have a full 3" turboback Exhaust and my turbo starts spooling around 2400-2600 RPM (now that i notice). 34mm flapper? I really dont care for it right now. Maybe when i go bigger ill start thinking about these things. I didnt have the funds at the time to spend $1000 on a Evo III 16G turbo with it being ported and having the 34mm flapper. I needed my car running because it was my daily driver.

So far im very happy with my Turbos performance. Im just awaiting on my injectors and fuel pump and then ill turn the boost up. :dsm: :talon: :laser:

You guys are referring to the Evo3 16G GT righht? or are you referring to the Big 16G? Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I want to purchase the GT turbo...unless its a bad idea.

MircOne16G said:
You guys are referring to the Evo3 16G GT righht? or are you referring to the Big 16G? Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I want to purchase the GT turbo...unless its a bad idea.

NO! The "Evo III 16G GT" is not a Mitsubishi turbo. It is a blatant copy of the real Evo III 16G, and it has several modifications to the design that I feel will hurt its ultimate performance. Buy the real thing!

nice man.. congrats on the 16g upgrade.. anything from the t25 is good..

when i use to have my big16g i hit full boost under 3000.. 2800/2900 to be exact.. this was an RRE Ported Big16g.. stock 2g mani and o2 housing to rre 3" dp, 3" hfc 3" greddy pe..

oh full boost was all of these.. depending on how the mbc was set.. 15, 18, 21

what are you using for tuning.. i personally didnt think 15 psi was fast.. but this was being very untuned and my fuel trims all fugked up after gettin an afc. but after the help of john from Pro Street.. some street tuning at around 19 psi.. it was a whole different car!

what are you going to be using to tune?

Are you going to have it tuned somewhere?

MircOne16G said:

No, I bought an EVO III 16G Turbo not the EVO III GT.

I am going to get it dyno tuned at Ultimate (Mach V) in sterling VA. I am still awaiting on installing my fuel pump and injectors.

My personal oppinion, get the EVO III 16G and not the EVo III GT Turbo. Get the real thing.

My turbo went out also,
I think im also going to go with the evo 3 16g

Glad you like the turbo and if you make anything around 300whp you better be in the 12's. And if you are making 350whp you should be close to the 11's if not in the 11's.

Hell according to the dynograph i only made 288whp but yet i ran a 12.2@~113 on my poor old small 16g. But then again dyno means shit, use a dyno to tune and go to the track for numbers. With a correction that is "supposed" to be used for the dyno i went on it came to 338awhp but doesnt really bother me. You can lose to a 288whp car or a 338 makes no difference to me.

Get those injectors and a fmic and tune it. 300whp shouldnt be too hard, 350 might be a different story.

Is this the one you got from
Extreme PSI - Mitsubishi TD05H-EVOIII 16G-7CM² #16296

NewB2dsm said:
Glad you like the turbo and if you make anything around 300whp you better be in the 12's. And if you are making 350whp you should be close to the 11's if not in the 11's.

Hell according to the dynograph i only made 288whp but yet i ran a 12.2@~113 on my poor old small 16g. But then again dyno means shit, use a dyno to tune and go to the track for numbers. With a correction that is "supposed" to be used for the dyno i went on it came to 338awhp but doesnt really bother me. You can lose to a 288whp car or a 338 makes no difference to me.

Get those injectors and a fmic and tune it. 300whp shouldnt be too hard, 350 might be a different story.

He'll never get into 11's making 350whp with a FWD car. Sorry its just not going to happen. Being traction limited hinders you greatly in doing so. Prime example... http://www.e-smithey.com/ He is making over 600hp and barely got into the 11's. And that was with traction bars.

I'm in the process of reassembling my rebuilt engine. I was wondering who was using the e3b16g with 550's, 190lp, and gm maft, and what kind of results they are getting with that setup.

I will be tuning this setup soon myself.

Grn95GST said:
He'll never get into 11's making 350whp with a FWD car. Sorry its just not going to happen. Being traction limited hinders you greatly in doing so. Prime example... http://www.e-smithey.com/ He is making over 600hp and barely got into the 11's. And that was with traction bars.

Didnt relize he was fwd :coy:

Also smithey was making alot of power but never seemed to make very clean pass's from what iv seen. 600whp in a fwd car is beyond 11's and everyone knows it. But anyway on with the thread.

YO please tell me when you are getting your car tuned at MachV I would love to be there. I am picking up a big16g ported from Martin (speedfactor guy) Anyone got any comments on this or advice. Im pondering saving up the money to port the manifold and 02 housing, is it worth it?

Grn95GST said:

Wendy in NC went 12.1 on her FWD with a B16G and FP2s. She's probably around 350whp. Just because one guy with a 600whp car doesn't know how to drive doesn't mean you should use that as your basis for comparison. :toobad:

i just want to second that agreement that the evo III big 16g is an amazing turbo. I think I got a pretty good price on mine too, I got a evo III big 16g ported and clipped, evo III stage 2 ported exhaust manifold and stainless steel o2 sensor housing with dump tube (loud!) for $680. Brand new by the way. I think I will stick with this turbo for a while.

I am very suprised at this thread b/c honestly this is one of the first threads I have seen that contains people who are TRUE SUPPORTERS of the EVOIII 16G. . . . . If you look around at previous threads, you will stumble along tons of threads dedicated to EVO3 Owners who have had nothing but BAD luck and lots of PROBLEMS with the turbo. Most of you guys seem to be pretty new with the turbo in the way that you just installed it, but without trying to scare you or anything, most of the threads I have read are constant Bashings and knockings about the evo3's horrible Boost Creep issue. These are people with ported MHI evoIII's, tuned, all fuel mods, and running 18+psi.

- SO, as proud as I am for you guys for not suffering any creeping issues yet, I feel I am obligated to let you guys know that as successful and powerful as this turbo is, it is even more infamous for the problem's it seems to have caused. BTW: I'm not just referring to the fake EVOIII Gt turbo's

I have always stated that I have very little boost creep with my turbo. In fact, with current temps in the 50s/60s, I have zero boost creep at 18psi. My turbo is not ported at all.

Frankly, you would be hard pressed to find a thread concerning the Evo III 16G that I have not posted in.

So here's another person who has had good (incredible :confused: ) luck with his Evo III 16G. It is a fantastic turbo for use on the street and at the pretty much any track (autocross, drag, road race, rally, etc...).

If you have creep issues, just create an identical setup to mine, and they will go away. ;)

When you start to modify a car out of factory specs your bound to run into unforseen problems.. After all engineers design and test each part so they all run smoothly together. Slap on a bigger turbo with an opened up exhaust and ya, you may run into some problems. That is why most people come here to see how to overcome unforseen problems and to rectify them before we start to mod.

I have basicly a stock car but my 14b went out so I went and put on the evo III, knowing I'll probably never use it to it's full potential. So far I am very happy with it. It doesn't spool as fast as the 14b, but the wait is well worth it, pulls hard all the way to redline. Another plus for me is this turbo is alot quieter than the 14b. Just touching the gas I could hear the whine. Now only if I'm in it, do I hear a whine and it's still not as loud as the 14b.

I have about 25,000 mostly highway miles on the new turbo and not one problem. Check for shaft plat once every two months or so, when I do a boost lead test, and it's as solid as the day it came from SlowBoy.

Over all I give it two thumbs up... :thumb: :thumb:

D_Eclipse9916 said:
YO please tell me when you are getting your car tuned at MachV I would love to be there. I am picking up a big16g ported from Martin (speedfactor guy) Anyone got any comments on this or advice. Im pondering saving up the money to port the manifold and 02 housing, is it worth it?

Update: Just got my DSM Fuel management kit from Extreme PSI. I paid $615 for the kit. It includes, 550cc Precision injectors, Walbro 190 Fuel pump, and a Apexi Super-AFC II. The kit lets you choose the injectors size (which u have to pay extra anything over 550cc), lets u choose the fuel pump (doesnt matter 190 or 255 same price), and a choice of a Super-AFC II in silver with blue face or a all black.

Before i have some of you with larger turbos and bigger standards telling me that i should have gone with 660cc+ injectors or a 255 fuel pump..let me say something. My goal is to max out this turbo and i can get it done with the size of my injectors and the fuel pump. I dont want to run a 255 without a AFPR and i dont see what the hell is the point of it running on an EVo III 16G unless you are one of those who don't want to worry about upgrading injectors and pump when you get a bigger turbo. True, it gives you more room to work with in the future but thats when i go bigger with the arrival of a bigger turbo in the far future. Im completely happy with my purchase and i believe i can achieve my goals with this setup. I probably left out some important things but im trying to keep this short.

D_Eclipse9916

I will be taking my car to Ultimate (MACH V) and get it dyno tuned in the next couple of days. It will probably be a week untill i have time to go and get it dyno tuned. If you want to come down and watch the dyno, you are absolutely free to do so. Just let me know in advance through a private message or an email or hell even a phone call My Number is 703-477-4922 but youll have to wait a couple days to reach me because my current cell phone broke so im awaiting on a replacement via Mail. I heard alot of nice things about the speed factor as i have a few friends who just bought Evo 3 turbo's from them.

As a side note and for good reference, SHAPEGSX, and others have maxed out 550's with this turbo. He said this, "My injector duty cycles were over 108% with the 550s. Not good." I'm sure he would be happy to share his experience if asked.

But, congrats on getting all your stuff! I'm starting with the turbo in a few weeks.

I have the same setup except a stock downpipe and exhaust, except for a HKS hiflow B.S. muffler but i made 292hp on 22 lbs of boost with some seriously umm rigged intercooler piping, meaning it leaked like hell.

the Big16G EvoIII I bought from ForcedProformace kicks @ss... I run it at 21psi-22psi DailyDriver and see full boost at 3200...3300rpm's. I also have the EvoIII O2 and 3"TurboBack no Cat with Full Porting on the Turbo and 02. Car pulls soo nice I almost untouchable .... .. j/p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back