The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

the ups and downs of my 92 talon tsi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerzy4x4

Probationary Member
Oct 27, 2012
bellmawr, New_Jersey
Few months back I found out that in August I'm going to be deployin to Afghanistan so for the time I'm here I decided to have a project. I bought a 92 talon tsi for way more then it was worth :( but I love the car and never had one before so I said #### it. I got the car not even 5 miles from where I bought it and broke down. Car overheated had massive exhaust leaks had no key for the motor or doors could not start it without jumping it playing with the starter and moving the flywheel. After that I called the guy I bought it from but he would not pick up the phone or help me so I was left to pay almost 300 dollars to get it towed home. Guy was real nice took some off the price of the tow cause he was ex military and I was still in. I get it home and it just sat for about a month in front of my house. Ok here we go time for the goodies I put oon and the fixes I had to do to his mistakes. First wanted to figuer out the over heating problem. I changed the oil flushed out the rad put in a new thermostat (didn't even have one in the first placee) removed the condenser (a/c was removed) for better air flow and added some water wetter. All that helped alittle. WWouldn't over heat at idle any more stayed at about 200 at idle but trying to go around the would over heat. I end up buying a 2 core aluminum racing rad from cxracing witch brought my temp down to 180 at idle and on the highway around 195. Now that I got the temp under control time to tackle the forced induction :) this is my first turboed car and iv always wanted to work on and play with one. I bought a new fmic kit off cxracing. Day it came in the mail I started taking everything apart. When I removed the front plastic bumper I found that half the bolts where so rusted then snapped and parts where only held on by zip ties. The guy that owned the car before had a front mount intercooler on it but not piped in. He also cut the bumper so only just the corners where monuted. So a trip to the junk yard to grab a new plastic bumper and the steel bumper. Mounting and piping the fmic kit on was pretty easys plus fun using the sawzaw to make room for the pipes. When I was tearin out the old stock intercooler and piping I found that half the cuplinks and straps where all loose or had holes in it so many many boost leaks. As I was installing the fmic I googled the turbo I have and its a th05 16g big. I cut the new bumper to make room for the intercooler and reinstalled the new plastic bumper. Now its time for the exhaust leaks. I know a lot of the noise was coming from inside the motor compartment. I took the turbo manifold off to find out that half the studs where stripped out and the headers had previously came apart from the flange and the guy tryed to reweld them. I ordered new pacesetter headers and as I was waiting for them in the mail I went on to fix the no starting situation. So from what the guy I bought it from says someone tryed to brake into the car but couldnt get it started. So theiignition was trashed. He thought it would be a good idea to put a plastic turn key thing in like a kill switch one toggle switch to turn everything on and a push botton to start it. I coukd not deal with that thinking someone is going ti steal my car. He moved the battory to the trunk and the wire he ran back up front was only a 6 awg thhn wire. I replaced both the battory and wire. A brand new altama red top battory and new 1/0 thwn wire was ran. Now thinking that the starter was just not getting enought juice to start I tryed to turn it over now and still nothing. Took the starterto get tested and it passed. Good friends with the guy that works at autozone I ended up getting a new starter for 40 dollars. Can't pass that deal up and I took home the new starter.I installed the new starter and still nothing. I bench tested the starter and it works just once it is in stalled the solenoid clicks then nothing. My dad came out side to see how its going (he is a electrion and wanted to see hiw my electrical skills are working out haha) and out of the blue with out looking at anything while walking to his car to leave goes "you should try putting a washer inbetween the starter and the trany." So for shits and giggles I tryed it. IT WORKED! First try the car started! I was racking my head all day trying to figure it out. Putting the starter in and taking it out all day long testing it trying to adjust where it was sitting everythjng. And with out even looking at the car my dad figuered it out. Haha (after I was done for the day I met up with him at the bar and bought all his drinks for him) now that I got the car to start and turn off and start again it was time to rewire the mess of wires this guy did. I bought a universal key start so I have a key to start the car now and wired that in ( hidden ofcorse) afer a few days my headers arrived. I didn't have the money to buy the fancy ceramic coated ones so I went out and bought some heat rap and rapped them up. I drilled and tapped the head and installed new studs and bolted the headers on nice and tight. Sits flush to the head and no leaks. Now that the hesders are sitting in its right spot I had to adjust the position of the turbo. Carefuly benting the oil and water lines I got the turbo to fit in its right spot. Now Murphy's law comes into play. Down pipe coming off my 02 housing is too short. It comes right up to my oil pan and I can't bolt the rest of the exhust back up. Iwanted to get a new o2 housing anyway because I don't like the atmospheric dump and I want a recirculating one. I found online a recirculating o2 housing with downpipe combination. All one peice. So now I'm waitting for that to come in the mail so I can finnish her up and take her for a drive. I bought this car about 5 months ago and iv only put 54 miles on her in that time. I'm just itching to take her out and see what she can do. This is my new car and I'm gonna have fun with her. Will add more on when I do more to her. I'm doing this on my phone too so if I can figuer out how to upload pictures ill add some.

i just got a new computer and im still trying to figure out windows 8 (i blanking hate it!!!!!!!!!!) i got abunch of pitures but need to figure out how to put them on and i will. from the last time i posted iv redid the piping of the intercooler bought a new o2 housing down pipe combo spaced out the turbo to the mani for clearance for the o2 probe fixed all the exhaust leaks and like half installed my wideband gauge(need the bung welded to install the widebend o2 probe) iv been driving it for a few days, i get good pull from it but front end is still very loose need new springs (i want coilovers but got pissed at alot of things and bought a laptop instead of coilovers) but with the new laptop i can use it for the dsmlink so its not so much as taking a step back but staying where i was. i car did need a tow the other day cause i could not put in gear i believe my clutch slave cylinder is bad so i got a new one still need to install and bleed it and i hope that fixes, if it dont then next thing i can think of it the master cylinder but im hoping its not that. i also bought bc 272 cams that i want to install when i do the timing belt water pump and all goodies with that. im also looking at a trany thats been built but idk if i wanna spend the money for it i need it get the rest of the stuff fixed first. gonna figure out the piture thing and show my car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back