The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The The Official stupid things cops have said to you thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Widow97

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2010
Oxbow, North_Dakota
So I was searching the forums today and noticed a lot of threads about stupid shit cops had said or done to them while they were pulled over in their DSMs. So I figured, Why not compile them into one big thread for everyones enjoyment.

I'll get the ball rolling here, I got pulled over in my old 2G riced out Talon ESi, It was lowered, body kit, rims, exhaust, CAI tinted windows, painted red bezels, stuff like that.

I get pulled over for my windows being tinted too dark. Me being a smartass, told him I don't drive the car very much and will probably just pay the $20 ticket and keep the tint on. After that it goes like this.

Cop: You know if you don't remove that tint, and get pulled over again, they can ticket you for every modification on this car.
Me: No they can't.
Cop: Yes they can, all of these modifications are illegal in Caligornia.
Me: WTF This is North Dakota
Cop: Yes, but we can still ticket you for your modifications. Your car is too low, altering your bumpers is illegal, and altering your intake and exhaust is illegal.
Me: So why dont you guys harrass all of the people cruising around her in rat rods and muscle cars that have blowers sticking out of their hoods.
Cop: Because theyre not speeding around town and doing burnouts and raisisng hell.
Me: Neither am I, I was just going home from work and you busted me for having dark windows
Cop: Well if you do, we will be right there to catch you.
Me: Is there anything else or are we done here?
And I drove off.

The best part is none of that is illegal in ND, I looked up the laws here. Well, the exhaust was because the cat was removed but he didnt know that, it wasnt excessivly loud. And the tint was illegal, I understood why he busted me for that. I never drove that car like an idiot either, I baby'd it all the time.

Anyways, lets hear your stories, I know most of you have better stories than mine.

Last edited:
Back when I had my GST Spyder I was parked over on this little gravel area next to an intersection towards the country. All of a sudden some dude parks near me out of no where and is looking at me. Then i get raped by like 4 police vehicles. They said I was street racing when in fact I was just waiting for my friends to catch up (we had just gotten out of school and i made it out of the parking lot first and beat lots of traffic). Then as the cop is looking at my car he tells me that he can tell I was doing burnouts and donuts because my rear tires were bald.....right because my car is RWD and there are no marks on the road whatsoever. There is a lot more to that story I just dont remember it all :p

only thing i can remember right now is the first day i was cruising down the road with my front bumper cover off and the cop pulled me over to ask me why my radiator is on the outside of my car.

Back when I had my GST Spyder I was parked over on this little gravel area next to an intersection towards the country. All of a sudden some dude parks near me out of no where and is looking at me. Then i get raped by like 4 police vehicles. They said I was street racing when in fact I was just waiting for my friends to catch up (we had just gotten out of school and i made it out of the parking lot first and beat lots of traffic). Then as the cop is looking at my car he tells me that he can tell I was doing burnouts and donuts because my rear tires were bald.....right because my car is RWD and there are no marks on the road whatsoever. There is a lot more to that story I just dont remember it all :p

^^^^^ Haha that's a good one! They sent 4 squad cars to bust up that "street racing ring" you guys had going. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Nice to see none of the fuzz around there have anything better to do so they send 4 of them to bust ONE person. :beatentodeath:

got pulled over for not using turn signal when pulling in a gas station @ 1am on a monday .

after looking at my rx-7 and telling me what's all illegal in it.

cop: do you want to go to jail or go home?

me: hmm.. let me think about that one.

This kind of news on cops makes me thank god i live in a small town, i know all the cops and they will pull me over just to BS about cars...and/or ask how mine is doing...i got pulled over for no tail lights (brake lights worked tho), and had no hood, bumper, or fenders on. I knew the cop of course, and once he saw it was me he just said "oh, your tail lights are out, i know your tinkering anyway, go get her fixed! see ya!"

Makes me feel bad for you guys who have asshole cops to deal with..

:(

ive never had a stupid encounter with police. ive gotten away with way more than i ever should. probably been pulled over 10+ times on the rocket and never cited (group riding ftw)

One time going 50 km/h with my friend in his 2g right beside eachother, we both stop at a stop sign and cop cuts us off lights on. Both cops get out one goes to his car another to mine.

Cop: YOU KNOW RACING IS ILLEGAL!?
Me: I know sir that's why I wasn't that's my friend in the other car officer!
Cop: SURE IT IS, YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE YOU KNOW!
Me: Street racing is stupid, that's why I don't do it.
Cop: GOOD you should learn.
me: Took my licence insurance and registration and left.

Another time when I was tuning my car on my way to school (for auto mechanics) Stopped in the parking lot!

Cop: That's a loud little car you got there buddy, muffler there?
Me: No, it rusted and there was a hole. I'm fixing it as soon as I get into school sir.
Cop: It doesn't sound to hot your car, little misfiring
Me: Cams sir
Cop: v8's have cams, what's that school teaching you?
Me: Every car has cams, mine are just longer duration which cause a lopey idle.
Cop: Doesn't make sense, ben je te donne un infraction pour ton muffler. Translation I'm giving you a ticket for the muffler.

I had a feeling it was coming but do cops have to be dicks? Quebec cops are the WORST!!!!!!

I had a cop pull me over to ask directions one time. This was about 5 years ago before they all had gps. He was a County Sheriff for some county I don't even know where it is... Probably moving a prisoner or something. Was rather nice considering I was doing about 10mph over the speed limit on a 2 lane and blasting loud ass music (I was 16 at the time grown up a bit since then).

Cop pulled me over, but clocked the guy next to me and wrote me up for 5 over. It was BS but not much i could do, i asked:

Me: What about the guy going past me?
Cop: You ever gone fishing son?
Me: Uhhh, yes?
Cop: Well like fishing we cant catch them all

Another encounter just driving on the highway, all 4 windows down (this was my other car btw), not speeding, i see the cop "hiding" up ahead. Radar goes off, i smile and laugh because i have done nothing wrong. Sure enough, cop pulls out and lights go on.

Cop: Your exhaust is pretty loud, and illegal
Me: How so officer?
Cop: That muffler is illegal
Me: What are you talking about? It has all the requirements and i have a cat
Cop: Well its loud
Me: Take a decibel reading sir (He didnt do it, ### i no mine was legal)
Cop: Errr well.... i could, but how bout u roll up your windows
Me: Why officer? (they were down the whole time)
Cop: Ahhh yup, like i guessed tints

After it all, he wrote me a fix-it ticket for my tints

Coolest thing a cop has said: i was speeding, didnt no the speed limit on the road, my first time on the road.

Cop: Going a little fast
Me: um isnt it 35?
Cop: its 25
Me: i explain it was my first time on the road and didnt see any signs
Cop: leaves wit my stuff comes back. Alright, (hands me the paper folder, holds the ticket) im not gonna give you a ticket, just slow down...and take the radar out until you decide to slow down.

I passed a cop who was driving the opposite direction just down the street from my shop. He turned around and caught up to me, but it took him a while because he passed me near a blind turn under a railroad bridge, and he had to find a place to turn around (not right in the turn).
He pulls up in front of my shop just as I'm parking my car in front of my shop, 1/4 mile up the street, and says, "You know how fast you were going?" I said, "Yeah, 30mph!"
Cop: You were going a lot faster than 30 mph... I had to go 40 to catch up to you!
Me: So you were speeding not me. How do you think you turned around and made up all that ground?
Cop: You work here?
Me: Yup, it's my shop.
Cop: Well you just better watch your speed.

Great thread but I don't even want to get started. Been pulled over for the dumbest things. I swear sometime cops are so blind and they claim you do stupid things, uuhhh!
Oakland. Now I know why cops get killed there!

Driving my car... I get pulled over..

Do you know why you are being pulled?

Noo IDEAR..

You look like someone we are looking for.... LOLLOL

Not for my car... but it was funny... Just to let you guys know, They werent looking for me... Cops just hate Asians here... and maybe most major cities in Canada..

Anyhow, been pulled over more in my friends vehicles, but I always end up getting questioned..

One time way back when I was still in high school.. 16yrs old.. driving around with my friend at the time.. .He gets pulled over, no ID no Registration.. Meanwhile the cop doesnt question him, starts questioning me an who I am.. when I am the guy with the ID... Seriously, I have bad luck with the PO PO..

....and they always come up empty!!!

Was given a 4 pt ticket for improper passing with the cops reasoning of 'I didn't like the way you did that' He also added another 2 pt ticket on top of that because he 'estimated i was speeding' - which I was so that one was kinda on me.

The funniest that happened to me was when I drove to a police station and asked a cop to come out and take a look at my 100% stock and functioning 99 GS to see if he could find something illegal on my car.

First he complimented me on my tires (Hankook K106s), and I looked at the cruiser I parked next to. Same thread pattern. Then I turned the car on and blipped it a few times.

"Well, that exhaust is a little loud"
"It is factory and doesn't have any leaks"
"What about this aftermarket part, that's illegal"

I look at what he is talking about...he is talking about the chrome cover over the muffler tip. Yup, factory and evidently it makes the car loud...

This didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine. He has a relatively heavily modded 1ga, and the paint is a bit rough. Obviously it is a little loud and cammed. He gets pulled aside at a seatbelt check and the cop tells him, "He needs to put some money into this thing."

Sir, if you only knew LOL

I've got tons. I get pulled over and no tickets more than anyone I've ever met.

STUPID #1 -Day after I got my new talon (about 3 weeks ago) I got pulled over and accused of being drunk.... I was like OK? (I don't drink at all, and was actually coming from church, LOL)

He tried so hard to find something to write me a ticket for, but found nothing, so he let me go.

STUPID #3 -About two weeks prior, I was heading home from some networking work I do on the side. I was driving my truck (ranger) and passed a cop. No worries, doing the speed limit, not driving crazy... traffic was pretty bad, so I figured I was in the clear.

I check the rear view, and the guy is swerving in and out of head on traffic to catch up with me. I just went ahead and pulled of the road and waited for him.

When he finally catches up, he tells me mine headlight was out, alright, no big deal, I hand him the reg and license. About that time, there is a flashlight being shown in the passenger window (it was like 10:00 PM). I rolled the window down and was like, can I help you? ... he points the flashlight to an empty ziploc in the center console and asks, what was in the bag. I laughed out loud and truthfully told him that it once held a pop-tart. He said oh, okay.

When the other guy gets back, he asks me to step out of the car so he can explain this warning ticket to me. I proceeded to inform him that I was, unfortunately, familiar with the procedure. He said, well just come on back so we can make sure... I laughed out loud again, I couldn't help it.

When we're behind the truck, he searches me, and asks if he can search the truck. I laughed while saying sure, go ahead.

He asked me to stand on the curb with the other cop, ( who seemed overly nervous ). The other cop and I hit it off, and began talking about food. 15 minutes goes by and they FINALLY let me leave.

The very next week, I got pulled for doing 48 in a 35 (seriously thought it was 45), I guess the guy had sympathy for me from my previous encounter and he lets me go free. I was VERY thankful.

I've got TONS more.

Been pulled at least 7 times in the past 2 months and havent gotten a single ticket. Its a lil town a couple miles down the road the cops are dicks. Never got a ticket cause i never broke the law they just keep writing me warnings for nothin. One insident

me and my friends are on the way back home from the friends house and what do ya know, a cop comes up behind me and follows me for about 3 miles. Finally pulls me over
Cop: where you boys coming from tonight?
Me: my friends house. Is there a reason your pulling me over?
Cop: Uhh, of course theres a reason.Licence and reg please
comes back after checking it
Cop: Mr martin can you step out the vehicle please. At this time theres another cop pullin up and there all shining flashlights all up in my shit. Thank god i didnt have tinted windows.
Me: step out the car
Cop; You have any idea what the speed limit is around here?
Me: its 45 then goes to 35.
Cop: uhhhh, well do you have any idea how far your supposed to be from the vehicle in front of you?
Me; Thinking to myself (is this a ####ing quiz) yeah i do
Cop well you were too close to the car in front of you so im gonna have to write you a warning.

All this shit for nothing after he was riding my ass swerving in and out the lane. cant remember it all but he basically tried to change the subject to catch me doin something i didnt do.. I hate cops

Had a off-duty cop pull me over and bitched at me about how I was driving like a maniac and he had been trying to catch up with me since I passed the library in town. Funny thing was after I passed the library I stopped at a railroad crossing while a train was going by. So I made a smart ass comment about how "That must be a slow impala if you couldn't catch up to me when I was sitting at the railroad crossing". The fat bastard got so mad, turned beet red. I am surprised I didn't end up getting into a bunch of shit.

I go to get my car inspected, it fails. On the way home I get pulled over to inspection, even though I have a paper saying it just failed and once I fix it and bring it back they just put a sticker on. Asshole cop wrote me a ticket. Interrogated me about all kinds of crap like why the registration wasn't the same month as insurance and why the insurance stickers were so far apart in months. He said I have 15 days to fix it and bring them the proof of being fixed. Well it took me 16 days to get it all done, so SOL. I am always broke, so I wait a few months to pay the fine. Then they put a warrant out for my arrest and suspend my license. I pay the fine. A few weeks later a douche bag pickup backed into my car. The cop comes, and when she's about to leave she says my license is suspended and that she's going to write me a ticket for it. I called the place that issued me the inspection ticket, and they wouldn't tell me about what I needed to do to get my license back. All I have to do is pay PennDOT $25, which would have been easy to just tell me. I plead guilty to the suspension fine, only to find a few weeks later that they want to suspend it for a YEAR! So I go to that court place to appeal, they can't do it, I have to go into the hood to the county court house. I get their letter and PennDOT's letter a month later, and PennDOT's letter says my license is still suspended for something else. They didn't specify. I'm pissed. This is all just a huge mess of misunderstandings. My court date is November 14 and I'm seriously thinking of a way to sneak a gun in in case I lose, because I'm getting sick of the way the system is treating everyone just to get money.

I live in a decent sized ghetto ass city. As long as you are white and aren't black out drunk, you'll be fine. But if you drive around in any of the smaller towns around my city, you better ####ing be careful.

- I was 17 and my dad had just bought a car for me to use ('97 Ford Taurus). It was the first day he put it on the road and I'm smoking an L with my friend driving down the street. We had literally just finished baking the car when I see flashing lights behind me. Cop comes to the window and I roll it down an inch and slip him my ID and registration. Smoke must have been billowing out the crack like a chimney. At this point the other officer is walking around my car looking at it weirdly. The cop who took my info comes back and tell me that the front plate is on the back and vice versa. I explained I just got it on the road that day and my dad must have put the plates on backwards, and he let us go.

- I was 19 and working at my college for the summer, which is about 30 minutes away from my city. I was driving a '98 red Dodge Avenger I had just bought 2 weeks prior. Cop pulls me over for rolling through a stop sign and hands me a warning. He goes to walk away, spins around, looks at me and says, "Sir, do you smoke marijuana?" Now, I had quit smoking a few months prior so there way no way any weed was even remotely close to my car. I tell him no, but he insists the dirt or dust or whatever on my shift boot looks like shake. He asks to search my car and since I had nothing on me I gladly let him. He pulls out part of the arm rest where the e-brake cable and shit runs and I shit you not, pulls out a bag of weed. I was in ####ing shock. I explained how I just bought this car in the ghetto. He crumbles it in his fingers and realized it must have been in there for a while because it was dry as #### and let me go.

- I was 19 and working at my college for the summer, which is about 30 minutes away from my city. I was driving a '98 red Dodge Avenger I had just bought 2 weeks prior. Cop pulls me over for rolling through a stop sign and hands me a warning. He goes to walk away, spins around, looks at me and says, "Sir, do you smoke marijuana?" Now, I had quit smoking a few months prior so there way no way any weed was even remotely close to my car. I tell him no, but he insists the dirt or dust or whatever on my shift boot looks like shake. He asks to search my car and since I had nothing on me I gladly let him. He pulls out part of the arm rest where the e-brake cable and shit runs and I shit you not, pulls out a bag of weed. I was in ####ing shock. I explained how I just bought this car in the ghetto. He crumbles it in his fingers and realized it must have been in there for a while because it was dry as #### and let me go.

oh man your lucky, that could have ended very very poorly. Also for future information, to even search that area they need a warrant. You did allow them to search, but they are only allowed to search the surface and move objects around. They CAN NOT remove car panel and body molding to find stashed weed, they need a completely different and additional warrant.

I remember getting pulled over and when I asked why the cop responded "You made a turn to close to the curb" I responded "good thing i did because I didn't want to be in the middle of the street making the turn" he got pissed at me. no ticket though

I also got pulled over for making an "aggressive turn" whatever that means.

Yeah, believe me I'll never be making that mistake again. At the time though, my aunt was the chief of police there and I knew most of the officers. This dude seemed pretty young, like he just got hired. I let my aunt know about the incident and she reamed him out, haha.

cop pulled me over, but clocked the guy next to me and wrote me up for 5 over. It was bs but not much i could do, i asked:

Me: What about the guy going past me?
Cop: You ever gone fishing son?
Me: Uhhh, yes?
Cop: Well like fishing we cant catch them all

LOL ROFL

Had a off-duty cop pull me over and bitched at me about how I was driving like a maniac and he had been trying to catch up with me since I passed the library in town. Funny thing was after I passed the library I stopped at a railroad crossing while a train was going by. So I made a smart ass comment about how "That must be a slow impala if you couldn't catch up to me when I was sitting at the railroad crossing". The fat bastard got so mad, turned beet red. I am surprised I didn't end up getting into a bunch of shit.

ROFL ROFL ROFL AHAHAHAHAHA ROFL ROFL ROFL!! I laughed my ass off when I read that.

These are all awesome stories guys, keep 'em coming.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back