The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

The rest of my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I went in for career advice in high school, they told me to think of my interests and to apply it to career. One of the worst things you could do in life is getting a career for money and not for the passion. You have less interest, less motivation, and you do less work than generally desired. Idk why people would tell you to get a desk job unless you like the mundane life. There's a difference between hobbies and passions. Hobbies you do when you're bored. Passions, you can do constantly.

Scratch doctor off your list--it's a long hard road and sucks ass. You shouldn't do it unless you actually know you want to do it.

You are on the right track. It's very good to have some sort of idea of what you want to study. It's never too early. Keep your grades up and stay out of financial trouble. I had to learn the hard way. Good luck on the ACT.

Go for it then. You can post back after your 1st semester freshman year about how the weedout classes are raping your GPA. If you make it past that...

You can post back during your junior year complaining about the MCAT and how you aren't going to get into medical school. If you make it past that...

You can post back during your senior year and complain about how you're going to be 150-200,000 dollars in debt by the end of medical school. If you make it past that...

You can post back during your MS-2 and complain about how the step 1 USMLE boards are raping you. If you make it past that...

You can post back during your intern year and complain about, well, everything. If you make it past that and actually become a doctor...

You can post back and complain about how your malpractice insurance is raping you and explain why you're being sued.

If it was easy to be a doctor then you wouldnt be making good money. WTF

And no Im not going to school to be a doctor, Im in nursing school right now. But I did finish my pre-med haha.

Business is easy and they'll make more money than I'll ever see :D

I'm on step 3 right now. Although, concurrent enrollment in medical school and owning a DSM will cause that debt figure to double.

When I went in for career advice in high school, they told me to think of my interests and to apply it to career. One of the worst things you could do in life is getting a career for money and not for the passion. You have less interest, less motivation, and you do less work than generally desired. Idk why people would tell you to get a desk job unless you like the mundane life. There's a difference between hobbies and passions. Hobbies you do when you're bored. Passions, you can do constantly.

I have a different perspective on these thoughts. I could care less what my source of income is (not breaking man's or God's laws of course) if it is taking care of my family and providing for my Dreams and Goals in my life. I do things that earn money for one reason only. They EARN ME MONEY. I can HATE what I do if it allows me to live how I want to live when I am not trying to "earn money" at the job or my business. I understand fully that if you enjoy it, it definately makes it easier to do it. My perspective is similar to that of a body builder, wrestler, pro athlete, or anyone else at the top of their game. They train and work the way they do for the end result. No matter how much pain it may cause for the short term. Professionals look towards the long term. "In order to live unlike the average person, you have to do what the average person is not willing to do."

The MAIN question you should be asking yourself is not what you want to do for money, but HOW do you WANT to LIVE? Do you want to be a Doctor and be absolutely controlled by time and your tethered to your work? Do you want to have to spend 80-500K on your education? Do you have a Grant or are you getting student loans? How long do you want to jump through the hoops of Degree work? What do you want after school? Travel? Big home? Time for the eventual family and kids? Ask yourself these questions.

Your best bet today is to think outside of the box. Internet is huge in giving people infinite amounts of ways to earn money. We haven't even scratched the surface with e-commerce as it stands today.

FIND A MENTOR! Find someone who is living the life that you want to live and see if you can pick their brain how they are doing it. Also, I suggest apprenticing under a master under whatever you want to do that will allow you to live the life that you want to live. Ask questions. Kind of like in Pursuit of Happyness with Wil Smith. He asks the guy in the Ferrari, "What do you do, and how do you do it?"

Also, have multiple forms of income. They always say, "Don't put all your eggs in once basket." or "All your irons in one fire." Again, Internet can help with this.

Learn how to invest wisely. Find out about Roth IRA's.

Read books/articles from Robert Kiyosaki, Donald Trump, Bill Gates, John C. Maxwell, Dale Carnegie, and the like.

That's it for now.:beatentodeath:

Get a good job.
Save most of your money.
Retire at 50, rich.

If you can afford what colleges charge these days, work instead and bank the money. If you aren't an A student, don't think of medical.

Ok here is my advice. Someone said don't be miserable with what you do I only partially agree. In the end of the day money is money, it doesnt matter how you get it as long as you get it.

Maybe 5% of the people actually enjoy their jobs. But if you like building things try Electrical Engineering, or Mech Engineering. I have a friend all he does all day is test products to see if they meet fed requirements and loves it. He plays with new toys as he puts it and see if they blow up. The other day he had to put out a fire, so it can get hazardous.

And never pick a crap career because you like it, because some day you will have a family. Like many have said think of the future and plan appropriately. I think the key is getting a career you dont mind doing but makes decent bank. And as soon as you get a job make sure you throw a decent ammount into 401K or make a sweeping bank account to save money. You don't miss what you never had in the first place but you will thank yourself in the long run. I saw a guy retire at the age of 50 with 5 mil in his 401k

I say work at a shop, a shop that will allow your ideas and fabrication to be recognize, you sound like a creative type of person with a huge life span to live. Being a car guy is great and being recognize for your work is awesome, this could be the beginning of your automotive carrier, start from the bottom and earn your way up the latter you will have that sense of accomplishment along the way...

"Bank your money, Savings, Interest pays you this time"

Become a hip-hop artist. If souljah boy can do it then I think just about anyone with half of a brain can do it.

I have heard from many people including friends that if you enjoy working on cars as a hobby, then don't do it for a living or it takes the fun out of the hobby. Not for everyone, but when I was considering it for a job I talked to several people who told me it kind of ruins it.

I am 19, did terrible in high school, barely graduated. I didn't go to college, I still might who knows, but I am just working. I'm doing better than most people that have been out of college for four years. Its all about finding the right jobs.

I am a senior in highschool. I am going to college next year. Don't sweat the ACTs... Shit's so easy. You have awhile to decide what you want to do in life.

Dont dread the ACT, its really just a test. Not to mention if you need/want to, you can take it again your senior year. As far as choosing a career, engineering of any form sounds right up your alley. I am similar to you as I love building things and seeing a final product, so I am pursuing civil/environmental engineering. As far as the hobby vs job dilemma, I somewhat agree that you should separate them to an extent. But as mentioned, if its truly a passion of yours and theres a way to turn it into a rewarding career, by all means go for it. Talk to your school counselors and visit different jobs that interest to get that initial taste of what you want to do. Good Luck! :)

Don't even plan what you want to do now, it will change.

You need rep points for that one!

Hes right dont even bother, and just some words of wisdom, no one ever says they can see themsleves sitting behind a desk all day. Work sucks, most likly wont enjoy it, but it pays the bills and also funds the hobbies.

For now just take your tests ( its cake anyways ) go to college, meet girls, pull all nighters and wonder why you did/are going to do some weird shit in your time. Most of all Enjoy your self and study hard.

Things do change. Im not doing anything that relates to what I went to school for and what I did for years. Instead, I have a job I dont care much for and havent for the past 8 yrs. But the money is great so I show up for work everyday and do whatever it takes to make me irreplaceable.

My wife is also another good example. I put her through 4yrs at VCU to get her bs in accounting. She loved math and always wanted to be an accountant/cpa like a few more of her family members. Now she is a mom, wife, accountant and now she wants to be a teacher. She wants to be able to work school hrs and have summers off so she can spend more time with our son. So, $35k of my $ down the shitter just to have a wife that can do our taxes.

And if I was to follow my passion, I would sit on my ass all day long and not have a job. I dont get up and go to work everyday because I want to, I do it because I have to make a living. Some of us live better than others but we all need to make some sort of a living. Once you are out and have motgage, car payments, cost of living, etc, you will do what you need to to take care of your liabilities.

Don't make your hobby your job, it will quickly suck the fun right out of it. That, and don't rush into anything yet, you're too young.

Best advice I can give for the sat/act is don't make such a big deal out of it. The first time I took the sat in junior year I studied my *** off and only got a 1680. I was extremely nervous and I believe I blew it out of proportion. The next time I took it in my senior year I didn't study at all and just went in with the mindset that i wouldnt see a question i couldn't answer and the test would be easy. I ended up with a 1900.
As far as careers keep in mind at most schools if you pick a medical or engineering degree they are usually 4 year programs so it gets harder to switch into them if you change your major.

Generals are there to give you a broad perspective on things and let you try out things that might potentially interest you.
If you start to pursue a 4 year degree at a University, the first 2 years will be generals anyway which leaves you time to experiment and decide what you like to do.

I was the same way about my ACT in high school. Study for it, but don't fret about it unless you plan to get into some crazy private institution of you want some nice scholarships.

Either way also remember this. To cut cost you may want to consider getting your general associates degree at a cheaper accredited university. (keyword = accredited) Then transfer to a more expensive/specialized school if you so wish to finish out the bachelors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back