The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

The quest for the AWD 14b record title WITHOUT nitrous continues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Congrats on 12.1, you're getting close. Looks like the car has the power, now you gotta put it there. Good luck if you go out again.

114mph is making some nice power on a 14b. That's also where the powerband takes a hard nosedive. What software are you using to tune?

SBstar, im launching at around 4500. Anything higher than that it builds too much boost.

Thanks Phil, ill try and get out again for sure!

Pneumo, im using a chip from Keydiver. He was burning me free chips and they were making very good and consistent power. DSM link will be on the way though, swiching to speed density and really doing some work.

SBstar, im launching at around 4500. Anything higher than that it builds too much boost.

Thanks Phil, ill try and get out again for sure!

Pneumo, im using a chip from Keydiver. He was burning me free chips and they were making very good and consistent power. DSM link will be on the way though, swiching to speed density and really doing some work.

You are welcome. Joe--4500 seems a bit low. Can you just get on the stutter a bit later? - as to not build too much boost....what type of boost are you seeing ?

You are welcome. Joe--4500 seems a bit low. Can you just get on the stutter a bit later? - as to not build too much boost....what type of boost are you seeing ?

Im seeing about 9psi at 4500. Anything higher just torches them off. Once i get the good meats on it ill turn it up to like 5200 when i dont have to worry about steering away from the tree haha

Im seeing about 9psi at 4500. Anything higher just torches them off. Once i get the good meats on it ill turn it up to like 5200 when i dont have to worry about steering away from the tree haha

9 psi is probably right on for that rpm. I see about 12 psi but my stutter is at 6000 rpm with the slicks.

Snow tires are actually pretty good to launch with.....but if you're spinning them that bad then you will need something better obviously. Are you running pressure at about 18 in those tires? If not, get it down there to start and that should help. Have you checked your alignment? When I was on drag radials I would get a little kick to the left I think, from the rear end, but the front tires always pointed down the strip except for the half a second I flicked the wheel to correct the rear slide..........

So, any updates? Are you gonna make it back out this year?

can you set your ems up to pull timing while 2 stepping? would help keep the boost down.

i think a 4 spider diff will help more than slicks. Those big soft ass tires with slack air pressure seem to eat up alot at the big end of the track.

i still run shit bag snow tires, but the 4 spider seemed to help alot. no appreciable spin off the line.

Bump for wondering what happend Joe? Where you been? In case you haven't read, I ended up losing my original 14b last month on what would have been an 11.57 pass. Best pass until that point was 11.62. Blew the turbo on my 5th pass of the day. So, might have been able to get back into the 11.4's within the next five passes or so. Anyway, that wasn't meant to happen.

So, what's the deal on your end?

Also, how heavy is that torque solutions mount vs. the stock mount? The steel looks pretty beefy which is good, but if it weighs 2 lbs. more that wouldn't be good.........

Bump for wondering what happend Joe? Where you been? In case you haven't read, I ended up losing my original 14b last month on what would have been an 11.57 pass. Best pass until that point was 11.62. Blew the turbo on my 5th pass of the day. So, might have been able to get back into the 11.4's within the next five passes or so. Anyway, that wasn't meant to happen.

So, what's the deal on your end?

Also, how heavy is that torque solutions mount vs. the stock mount? The steel looks pretty beefy which is good, but if it weighs 2 lbs. more that wouldn't be good.........

I tore her down for the winter, head work being done, switchin a few hings aroud. got a set of k sport coilovers on the way.

the tq solutions mount is no heavier than the stock mount...its beefy, but aluminum. next season its done. Welding the center diff too while its down. Got a set of motegi trac lites lined up with some M&H slicks too.

I also got V3 for it. switching to SD and getting it on the dyno after i get the head back

I tore her down for the winter, head work being done, switchin a few hings aroud. got a set of k sport coilovers on the way.

the tq solutions mount is no heavier than the stock mount...its beefy, but aluminum. next season its done. Welding the center diff too while its down. Got a set of motegi trac lites lined up with some M&H slicks too.

I also got V3 for it. switching to SD and getting it on the dyno after i get the head back

Oh, I was wondering why I hadn't seen an update. Why did you tear it down so early....you were only a couple tenths away from 11.XX? Anyway, sounds like you've got some cool stuff lined up for it. V3 is definitely cool.

Ok, so the mount is aluminum....that clears things up. I might do that, although the Prothane mount for the front that they came out with is better than the old Prothane sandwich inserts that I have now mounted in the original 21 year old mount and is cost effective at $15 bucks. However, I like the Torque Solutions piece. We'll see.

Oh, I was wondering why I hadn't seen an update. Why did you tear it down so early....you were only a couple tenths away from 11.XX? Anyway, sounds like you've got some cool stuff lined up for it. V3 is definitely cool.

Ok, so the mount is aluminum....that clears things up. I might do that, although the Prothane mount for the front that they came out with is better than the old Prothane sandwich inserts that I have now mounted in the original 21 year old mount and is cost effective at $15 bucks. However, I like the Torque Solutions piece. We'll see.

Eh didnt have much time to get to the track again, and the weather wasnt on my side very much.

PS the tq solutions mount was a free bee, LOL, jay hooked me up with the prototype to make sure it fit.

Phil have you ever thought about picking up one of Paul's chromoly bars that run across the front of the car? It has a soild front roll stop which I think would help out a lot more than the insets you have, plus the bar takes off some weight. His new design, that he hasn't released yet, even has north south bars. Check it out. He posted the weight of the bars in the thread here:http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/383215-new-3-pc-crossmember-input-needed.html I would love to see you knock some more tenths off your 11.4 time.:thumb:

Eh didnt have much time to get to the track again, and the weather wasnt on my side very much.

PS the tq solutions mount was a free bee, LOL, jay hooked me up with the prototype to make sure it fit.

Oh, fair enough, I know how hard it is to get to the track as well. Weather always plays a key factor. Back in the day I always wanted to run wet weather 1/4 miles.......unfortunately no way to time them except with a stopwatch, but I thought it would be cool. 12.0 DSM in the dry = 12.5-12.8 in the wet. 10 second Mustang in the dry = 17.5 seconds(and this is being nice) or into the Jersey barrier in the wet.:DLOL:tease:

Hey free bees are great! That's cool that he did that for you. Well, guess we'll see you out next year then....

Phil have you ever thought about picking up one of Paul's chromoly bars that run across the front of the car? It has a soild front roll stop which I think would help out a lot more than the insets you have, plus the bar takes off some weight. His new design, that he hasn't released yet, even has north south bars. Check it out. He posted the weight of the bars in the thread here:http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/383215-new-3-pc-crossmember-input-needed.html I would love to see you knock some more tenths off your 11.4 time.:thumb:

You know, I saw some thread(maybe the same one you've linked here) about that a while back. I was always skeptical about messing with the stock steel chassis parts, subframes included. I remember seeing Don Polk's years ago. I finally got a used set of his tubular control arms last year. So, those will be going on for next year.

But, now that you've presented the idea here with the link, I looked it over and I would most definitely be interested in the 3 piece unit. Obviously, budget plays a part here and he hasn't posted pricing yet and I'm curious to know about that. I would choose the 3 piece as I will roadrace the car in the future. Or maybe I would bolt them in either way---I've heard mixed reviews on what happens to the 1G's when you remove the north/south bars. I thought of removing them for drag racing, but then thought it may hinder my launches a bit. However, I just removed my front crossmember yesterday and wow is there TONS of play there with the stock bushings....so I guess what I'm saying is that the north south bars definitely help if you have a stock front support with the original bushings as I do. So, even a Prothane front mount is going to help only minimally without installing poly bushings in the support itself.

So, with the tubular piece, not only do you get a solid motor mount, but, the piece itself should bolt solid to the body and eliminate all that excessive play that I have now. I have only had the old "sandwich" style front motor mount inserts on my car with the original front mount thus far. I was going to buy the $15 Prothane full replacement front mount as a great upgrade to the sandwich halves, and then use the smaller bushings from the 1G front subframe kit to replace the two bushings in the support where it bolts to the body to get rid of alot of that play there. I think both need to be done to maximize the potential. Just doing a poly front mount won't do a whole lot with that member flexing so much fore and aft.

But, then I saw the Torque Solutions piece which is very nice, but, like some others pointed out.....it won't do anything more than putting the Prothane insert in the stock mount as it is also a poly bushing. I think Torque Solutions should make a solid aluminum mount and then they've got something. I think the best thing about the TS unit is it's a quick bolt-in replacement. No removing of stock bushings etc.

So, after writing this book here, with my supreme interest in being as light as possible(aside from spending thousands- i.e. Brake Man brakes,) I'm really interested in the tubular set up......so thanks for posting on my behalf and thanks for the encouragement!

Hey Joe, what all you got going on with this thing this winter?

Hey Joe, what all you got going on with this thing this winter?

Few projects, getting my 2g done, with a solid mid 500whp pump gas tune (setup changed for the better so its on like donkey kong!)

1g is getting the head done now, then speed density hooked up, and re tuned to make another shot at the record, maybe an aluminum DS if funds permit, and an ACT twin disc...should be fun :)

This all in between customers cars im tuning/building. Im staying busy, thats for sure!

Wow very nice numbers!

thank you sir! im just finishing getting the car prepped for this season. got a few more mods, new 63mm throttle body, some more weight reductions, went to a full EWG setup. I got another head that isnt junk (ie good valve job so its not under 70psi in a few cylinders). I still have the head im porting and building to do, but i was running out of time with all the customers cars i had in my garage over the winter, so i just opted to throw on the good stocker 7 bolt head just for now so that its at least healthy. Also switched to V3 lite with speed density so that will be a good upgrade from the keydiver chip using an EVO 8 maf.

Also got some good stickies so i can cut a better than 1.825 60', AWD and spinning holeshots shouldnt happen, but now it wont :p

Few more weeks and shell be en route to some track time. Results posts will shortly follow. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back