The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

The Official "What's this DSM worth?" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were talking about picking up a 2g GSX for this then id be all over it. But it is a nonturbo esi. Turbo shell can probably had for same if you shop around or one with a bad motor

Yeah a 2g gsx for that price would be a steal if the body was like this. Any engine that goes in here wont be n/a long if it is to start with..

$1k seems too much to me. Offer him $500 and if he says yes then go for the swap.

Low ball it (For all of it, shell and engine tranny combo), Then part it out to raise the cash to buy a complete 2G. Once you have it, Sell your 1G and recover all of your cash, Possibly Make some cash in the process..

Its a Win / Win deal If you do it right.

Or you can swap the 4g into the 420a, you have most of the parts and it's been done before so you won't be entirely in the dark. You will need a donor 4g63 engine bay to cut the parts out where the engine mounts bolt up.

Yeah, I would say just wait to get a turbo 2g. If you look around you can get some really good deals. I just picked up a 99 GST in excellent aesthetic condition, motor runs strong, it just needed a clutch and timing job. The car is registered and has brand new rims tires on it and I picked it up for 2500 bucks. Ive seen AWD shells for super cheap that are freshly painted or in good shape. Good thing about DSM's breaking all the time is people get fed up and drop em for cheap sometimes. Your patience just have to outweigh theirs.

Besides, things for the turbo's are easier to find and usually had cheaper due to the fact that they're more commonly worked on or fidgeted with.

my input.

Or you can swap the 4g into the 420a, you have most of the parts and it's been done before so you won't be entirely in the dark. You will need a donor 4g63 engine bay to cut the parts out where the engine mounts bolt up.

Well everything Ive read so far about doing the 4g63 into a 420a swap so far has been to not do it.............

Should you buy this one, well for that price NO. If the owner can produce receipts for the parts, maintance records, and compression / leak down tests, maybe for under $3K it may be a good deal. How good is the transmission? Was it ever in an accident, etc. There are a lot things to consider when buying a mod'd car. Not just the price and parts.

That looks good to me. I mean, it was just rebuilt.
Go ahead and check it out. I'd test drive it first though.

EDIT: RECEIPTS RECEIPTS RECEIPTS RECEIPTS!!!!!!!!! Make sure you get them.

thats a deal in my book if he has rebuilt the motor and has drove it 60,000 miles i would say its a good thing, but look it over good as for example front strut towers and underside for rust and if it drives to your expectations

I would have to say thats not that great of a deal. Ive owned and bought dsm's since 1998 when I bought my first Talon. Every since then Ive kind of learned to look for deals a little differently. You'd be suprised where you can come across a cheap car.

Ive seen GST's that are newer with less miles go for a grand cheaper then that.

I guess my advice would be to utilize every resource for car shopping and give it some time before you choose.

Nah, I think buying that RS for $3,300 isn't a good deal. Shit, I got my 97 GST for less than his asking price, LOL. I got mine for $3,100 total (I gave him $2,600 up front cash and since it was a friend, I payed him back $500 a month later).

Now the GST I bought, that's a deal if you ask me. I've heard of other GST's in great running condition, going for $2,200 or so. Now that's insane! OMG

So I sold my 3000GT and now have DSM stuck on my mind. I found a nicely modded 97 GSX, but I'm new to these cars and would appreciate your opinions.

The car I'm looking at is pretty high mileage (160k), but most of the important stuff is new. Here is what the new owner has done:

Rebuilt 6 bolt motor:
ACL race bearings
rotating assembly balanced
Toga high volume 2g oil pump, modded to fit a 6 bolt
light weight crank pully (balanced)
new valves, springs, lifters
HKS 272 cams
1G throttle body
port matched intake manifold
ported exhaust manifold
big 16G turbo (with port & wastegate port?)
ported O2 manifold
2.5" downpipe
3" Vibrant high-flow cat
Apexi World Sport catback
Greddy polished FMIC

Rebuilt Transmission:
ACT Streetlight Flywheel & 2600 clutch
double synchro 2nd gear
Evo 3rd gear
Evo 3 3-4 shift fork
4 spider center diff
front lsd insert
filled in motor mounts

Suspension:
KYB AGX shocks

Fuel:
Walboro 255lph pump (rewired?)
PTE 550 injectors
Apexi SAFC
Greddy turbo timer

Autometer boost & air/fuel gauges
Nexen N3000 tires
recent replaced alternator & power steering pump

The owner says there are no mechanical issues, save for a problematic idle speed controller, which needs replacing.

My question: Is this a decent set-up, and what's the market value of this car? Keep in mind I'm very new to DSM's, and will benefit from any discussion on specific mods I listed.

Sounds like a nice setup, any pics? Obviously youll want to do a thorough road test and the usual car buying stuff(leaks,fluids,reciepts?,etc) Depending on how "perfect" the car is, it could go for a good amount($8k+)

So I sold my 3000GT and now have DSM stuck on my mind. I found a nicely modded 97 GSX, but I'm new to these cars and would appreciate your opinions.

The car I'm looking at is pretty high mileage (160k), but most of the important stuff is new. Here is what the new owner has done:

Rebuilt 6 bolt motor:
ACL race bearings
rotating assembly balanced
Toga high volume 2g oil pump, modded to fit a 6 bolt
light weight crank pully (balanced)
new valves, springs, lifters
HKS 272 cams
1G throttle body
port matched intake manifold
ported exhaust manifold
big 16G turbo (with port & wastegate port?)
ported O2 manifold
2.5" downpipe
3" Vibrant high-flow cat
Apexi World Sport catback
Greddy polished FMIC

Rebuilt Transmission:
ACT Streetlight Flywheel & 2600 clutch
double synchro 2nd gear
Evo 3rd gear
Evo 3 3-4 shift fork
4 spider center diff
front lsd insert
filled in motor mounts

Suspension:
KYB AGX shocks

Fuel:
Walboro 255lph pump (rewired?)
PTE 550 injectors
Apexi SAFC
Greddy turbo timer

Autometer boost & air/fuel gauges
Nexen N3000 tires
recent replaced alternator & power steering pump

The owner says there are no mechanical issues, save for a problematic idle speed controller, which needs replacing.

My question: Is this a decent set-up, and what's the market value of this car? Keep in mind I'm very new to DSM's, and will benefit from any discussion on specific mods I listed.
Those are the only two things that catch my eye. I've never heard of a toga pump, it might be fine but I would be somewhat wary of anything other than OEM parts for something like the oil pump. As far as the crank pulley goes there's a lot of talk about how running an undampened pulley can cause harmful harmonics to be transmitted to the crank and cause crank failures. Some people swear an undampened pulley caused their crank to crack, some have run undampened pullies for miles with no ill effect, ymmv, but I always thought better safe than sorry. If I were you I would grab and OEM pulley, or if you feel like being a baller a Fluidampr or an ATI.

Books for around $4k... All depends what you want to pay, but personally I wouldn't pay much more than that. Maybe 5k because of the stuff that's on it.

Books for around $4k... All depends what you want to pay, but personally I wouldn't pay much more than that. Maybe 5k because of the stuff that's on it.

Not sure I believe book's only 4 grand. What 'book'? 5 grand would be one heck of a deal if the car is nice. It should be worth 5 if the car was bone stock and nice.

Not sure I believe book's only 4 grand. What 'book'? 5 grand would be one heck of a deal if the car is nice. It should be worth 5 if the car was bone stock and nice.

I think it depends on where you live and the market for the car possibly. But if that car was in pretty good condition, you would never find that for under $7k by me with the mods

Mods do not raise the value of a car when referring to books. So A 160K gsx would be pretty low in price according to books. It's all about how well it runs and what you think it is worth. I wouldn't spend more then maybe 5 g's on this.

Find me one of these for 4k and I'll buy it. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back