The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

The Official "What's this DSM worth?" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanks a lot guys I should have searched first but I was in a big hurry to get this done before I had to leave for work.

Ok, So i have at least 2 choices for my first DSM.

Choice 1: 1993 Eagle Talon

A few details. DL model, 1.8 liter, automatic. Engine and tranny are excellent. 145,000 miles, new brakes, and timing belt, new radiator. Body has some rust, and damage behind drivers front wheel. My daughter caught it on a curb. Interior is very good, except for center console cover lid.

Let me know what you think. This is an excellent fixer upper for the price. Fun to drive and gets about 30 mpg. Just needs altenator and can be driven. I found a guy that can rebuilt it for $65.

I need to sell it. Was asking $1000, now price is $850.

Choice 2: 1990 Laser Turbo with Talon bolt ons.

As stated this car has 209k miles. It does smoke some on start up and uses 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles. It is running rich for it has strong smelling exhaust. It does get 29 mpg on freeway driving. The a/c does not work and It needs driver's side cv shaft replaced. It had rear window tint when I got the car and in the process of removing it (due to the film bubbling bad) some of the rear window defroster grids got cut and it doesnt work. The interior in in very good condition. I bought this car as a stock laser and added all of the body panels and bumpers and painted it solid red. There are a some spots or surface rust and a few dings. The front air dam has some paint damage which I show in the pic. I hit a semi truck tire on the freeway and banged up the paint. The same accident also caused a small exhaust leak which hasnt gotten any worst since. The car is a very dependabe car in which I drive to work 40 miles a day. I wouldnt hesitate on taking this car out of state for any reason. It is a 5 speed manual trans and the clutch was changed out at 115k miles. The timing belt and turbo were changed about 30k miles ago. Tires are almost new maybe 4k on them. I have the car priced with room for offers so it is not a firm price

looking for some guidance on which it better to start out with, not sure how much modding i am going to do, i am a beginner after all.

If your looking to go fast get the turbo. If your looking for a nice DD that will get good gas mileage get the N/T.

I guess i am more worried that the turbo seems to have other issues.

"It does smoke some on start up and uses 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles. It is running rich for it has strong smelling exhaust,The a/c does not work and It needs driver's side cv shaft replaced"

If you go N/T you will hate yourself for it or do a turbo conversion. Needles to say that I vote for the Laser. P.S. Lasers are getting harder and harder to find.:cool: What gasoline engine with that many miles doesn't smoke some when started cold.

Would you assume a sensor for the running rich? Looking for another fun driver to go with my 300zx, have the impala for DD. :)

Guess i was also looking for any warning signs to stay away from either car...

Any significant items i should watch for on these cars? (I mean 1st gens)

possibly an O2 Sensor, what are the bolt-ons it has

The timing belt and turbo were changed about 30k miles ago.

Do you know when the turbo was changed what was it replaced with? If it was replaced with something other than the 14B it may need to be tuned.

If you can afford it buy them both. You will have a nice dd when you have to work on the turbo one.

If you go N/T you will hate yourself for it or do a turbo conversion. Needles to say that I vote for the Laser. P.S. Lasers are getting harder and harder to find.:cool: What gasoline engine with that many miles doesn't smoke some when started cold.

This is very true. Definitely go with the turbo. I am a beginner as well and my first DSM is a turbo. If you have any questions just ask on this site. People are more than willing to help out.

He already has a DD. So I would say go turbo. Diff is amazing and you will have alot more fun with the turbo and ability to upgrade to 400HP on stock bottom end.

ove_98 TSI has a great point, if the turbo was changed out, what was it swapped with? If it isn't another of the same, you could have something smaller, or who knows what in there. The turbo sounds like it will need more work, but what dsm doesn't.
I vote turbo since you already have a DD and want this one for fun. Plus it's a 5speed and the other is auto... automatic is a no-go for me, especially on a fun car.

Got this back from him on the turbo and Talon Bolt ons.

I had the stock turbo rebuilt probably 3 years ago so I am quessing about 30k miles ago. I am a pretty tame driver so I know that the motor hasnt been run hard in the last 100k or so.

. It was all body parts. I installed all the ground effects, front and rear bumbers and the rear spoiler. I would guess that I spent about 1200 in body parts and paint when I redid it.

I found a GST Spyder with 55k original miles, immaculate inside and out for $8,900. Thing is it will be my DD............so it'll have to be driven in the winter.............is it worth it?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 97 tsi awd I was looking to get was bought from under me, but I found a better dsm.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD TURBO Highly MODDED 6 bolt 4G63T, 85,000 miles, No Accidents, Minor scratch/crease on passenger door ($200 to fix), All Wheel Drive!!! 4 Cylinder 2.0 Liter Turbo, Manual transmission, White with gray interior, Approx 400 AWHP, needs tuning... much more power available!

Description:
Motor work: 1990 6 bolt block, eagle rods/wiseco pistons (12k miles on motor and headwork)
2nd gen head with crowler titanium valve springs and retainers
ARP Headstuds and Cometic 4 Layer Gasket
hks 272 cams
dsmlink v2 with USB adaptor Cable
gm 3" MAF and MAF Translator
HKS BOV
Hahn front mount intercooler kit
Hahn Super 20g turbo
t3 manifold
Hahn dp straight pipe
3" atr exhaust.
680cc injectors 15psi low 20 high
magnacore 10mm wires
external oil cooler
u/r pully
egt probe (gauge stolen)
AEM wide band sensor (guage stolen)
fuel pressure regulator
underhood fuel pressure guage

Interior:
3 guage pod boost/oil pressure/water temp
autometer monster Tach
Greddy profec b boost controller
blitz turbo timer
B&M shortshifter

Other:

Clear 3 piece tail lights
KYB AGX (adjustable) shocks
Eibach sportline springs
17 x 8 eagle alloys with Brand New Tires!

17" 3rd gen eclipse wheels (not pictured)

So...Car looks great...I don't care about the crease in the door, I've heard less than wonderfull things about hahns and I'm guessing the tranny is stock but how much grunt can it take? The guy selling it bought the car this way, he bought it with these mods so...I can't even be sure about the internals or head work. Besides all of that, do you all think this car is worth the $8k gamble?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong location

Pics dude..You got any??? Your new to dsm tuners, got a ? for you. What are you planning to do with the vehicle?? Daily driver, Weekend warrior, Strip car only. Street car, young kid that justy wants a fast car????

If this is your first dsm or first built car, it is probably not a good idea. That is alot of power to start out with and without knowing mechanically how to make this setup, you would have a hard time repairing it or spend alot of money doing so. Personally I like to have the piece of mind that I did it myself so that if something went wrong then I would know exactly how to fix/replace things that went wrong.

Why is he selling such a heavily modded car? Is it a young kid you are buying it from? Did he make the same mistake you might be making buy purchasing a car and not knowing enough about it first? If he bought it this way, he may have ruined it and decided to sell it.

I would buy a car that was stock, or barely modded and start reading on these forums about different setups depending on your HP goals. Knowledge is key with dsm's, and I always am very cautious when buying a car from someone that may not have known what they were doing, let alone didn't do the work themselves.

On the other hand, it may be a good buy considering the mods and engine work cost close if not more than 8k. But there is always a gamble in this situation. :sneaky:
Maybe if you could find someone in the local dsm forums in your state to come check it out and give her a test drive it might be worth the time.

Just my .02. and sorry for the long post :)

i'm gonna agree with ^^ that guy^^ LOL.. you need to figure out if the car has been abuse(of course he wont tell you) so find someone that knows there stuff and get them to check it out, otherwise find one that is stock or close to stock and do it yourself, thats what i'm plannin to do after i finish putting front end together

In the description it says needs tuning. It may need tuning but it shows that the owner doesnt know much about the car because if he did the he wouldn't sell it un-tuned. When a car is this modified you need to have some good knowlage of DSM or its gonna be one big headache. Id say find one un molested and build it yourself learn and know whats really done to it and if something breaks you know what to do.

Definitely not a car you wanna buy if you're a rookie to dsms, there'd just be way too many things to learn about the car to make sure it runs right with all these mods done to it. If you do have a close friend who is experienced with dsms then it might not be a bad idea to get it cause that way he can help you, tune it and in the process teach you a lot about the car in general.

1998 GSX with 118,xxx miles on it for $7000

1998 Eclipse GSX

he also has it in the local quick quarter for $7500

1993 Talon TSi AWD
Here is a run down of mods.. Motor Has just over 5K miles since rebuild.
Big 16g turbo
JM fabrications FIAV(fast idle air valve) block-off plate (necessary for proper idle after removal of coolant hoses to throttlebody for cooler charge air)
AEM uego wideband/controller(bung welded directly to downpipe)
Autometer boost guage
HKS turbo timer
Apexi SAFC2
GM 3" maf and translator ver2.0
sleeve and spring stle coil overs
front and rear cross drilled/slotted rotors
factory 4bolt rear end w/factory 75w-90 and LSD addititive
Redline heavyweight shockproof gear lube in trans and ctr diff(t-case)
Royal Purple oil in engine since break in
front and rear camber-kit
TurboXS dual stage boost controller
2g pistons/ 1g big rods
balance shaft removed
Evo 8 mls headgasket
ARP main, head and rodbolts, Crower springs/retainers
DKS 272 cams
5 angle valve grind
shearer fab I. manifold
2g exhaust manifold (ported)
SFP 02 housing
N1 turboback exhaust
Greddy timing-belt
FIC 750cc injectors
XS power Fuel pressure regulator
warlboro 255 pump
Keydiver eprom ECU w/stutterbox (many other features too)
FMIC
Tial BOV
$4000

What should I have paid??? The car is all original,,, exhaust, paint and interior, Tan leather, with black exterior, infinity sound..I need new front speaker for... Problem is Automatic trans...? Car need to be detailed then I will post pics.. Im preying the clear is ok,, The previous FEMALE owner said it was garaged for 10 or the last 11 years...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back