The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

The Official Welding Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's important to post pics of crappy welds when you first start so others can help put you on the right path instead of developing bad habits.

It's important to post pics of crappy welds when you first start so others can help put you on the right path instead of developing bad habits.

OK fine. I'll post up a couple tonight.

The first welder I bought had a broken inverter unit for the DC so I had to wait 2 weeks for another unit so I played around with the AC on aluminum first while waiting. Here are some pictures first of the 6061 aluminum, and the coil pack bracket I made (see the blowout on the back toward the edges, I know I need to get the foot pedal down better to slowly lift up toward the end of the bead). Lastly I just tried to run a couple of beads on some mild steel. I also am making a practice mild steel T3 tubular turbo manifold collector before I proceed on my 1st stainless piece. Please give me advise/critisism where appropriate. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2012-06-27 20.23.50.jpg
    2012-06-27 20.23.50.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 2012-06-27 20.24.46.jpg
    2012-06-27 20.24.46.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 2012-06-27 20.25.11.jpg
    2012-06-27 20.25.11.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2012-07-01 15.34.57.jpg
    2012-07-01 15.34.57.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-07-01 15.34.18.jpg
    2012-07-01 15.34.18.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-07-01 15.33.52.jpg
    2012-07-01 15.33.52.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2012-06-28 19.12.19.jpg
    2012-06-28 19.12.19.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 2012-08-21 17.33.06.jpg
    2012-08-21 17.33.06.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-08-21 17.34.44.jpg
    2012-08-21 17.34.44.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Would 1/16" tungstens with 1/16" filler rod work for doing say 18 through 10 gauge stainless for exhaust components. I have only used 3/32" consumables so far because thats what my setup came with plus I was doing some thicker stuff to practice with. I want to go thinner and need advice/input.:thumb:

Also I have a new miller sycrowave 200 with the old style inverters but it has the adjustable pulsing feature. I have played around with it a little on the aluminum but not on any steels. When welding stainless pipe should I use this feature or not? Any information would be much appreciated because I'm such a newb LOL!

Aluminum welds look a little cold, but so far pretty good for just starting.
Switch to 1/16th tungsten for a bit and you will see how much easier it is to control the puddle.

Aluminum welds look a little cold, but so far pretty good for just starting.
Switch to 1/16th tungsten for a bit and you will see how much easier it is to control the puddle.

Ok, I will switch over to 1/16th next time I mess around with the welder and spend some time with it. How many amps can you push through the 1/16th tungsten before its too much? Like 125-150ish? Thanks

I picked up this nifty little tool from Lincoln at a show about a month ago. It's an adjustable fixture that stocks onto a tube or plate via magnets and has two adjustable magnetic brackets to locate and retain a chassis tab to weld in place. No more guessing if you're holding it at a 90* angle and no more tieing up a hand holding the tab. It will be extremely handy when welding in odd positions or upside down. Well worth the $12 that I paid for it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, I have just read all 131 entries.

I picked up a Hobart 140 Handler a few months back. I have used it for extracting bolts small brackets but nothing of merit yet. I really do enjoy making something myself and I have been considering a small inverter TIG.

I was looking at the 180 diversion and the Everlast 185 mini. Any information on your likes/dislikes will be greatly appreciated. Also any other links that should be read would be nice as well.

Paul, your description makes the tool seem very useful but I am still dumbfounded on how it works. :hmm:

Robert

Edit: I see how it works now. It is just supporting the tab so that you can tack it in at a perfect 90 :)

Love my diversion 180 just wish it had more adjustments. I would tell you to buy it, but eastwood has one with better duty cycle, more adjustments and half the price.

To be honest, I never heard of the Eastwood welders until I read this thread. :aha:

The Everlast unit is around 800 new but it does not include a pedal and it comes with a #26 Torch (?) which is a bit large. The Everlast also allows you a bit more adjustment AC balance and one other. I will have to check on the Eastwood, but the diversion is about double both of those. Not that I am trying to cheap out on a longtime investment but as you stated the newer inverters may be a better choice.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on duty cycle or posting a link to enlighten me.

Thank you for your input and it is greatly appreciated and well respected. I was hoping to make a decision soon, but I will now have to compare another welder. :D

Thanks again,
Robert

I planned on picking up the Eastwood tig for my starter tig machine.

As I searched around I came across Everlast machines and was sold.. I am going to pick up a powertig 250ex soon. It costs more then the Eastwood but its a LOT more machine also.

If your budget limited Everlast has the powertig micro 185 for the same price as the Eastwood.. It is 15 amps less but offers a better machine from what Ive read.

Micro HERE
250ex HERE

I got to use Lincoln Electrics new TIG/MIG/Rod welder at a swap meet this weekend. It is a 3 in 1 machine that automatically adjusts every 1/1000th of a second or something like that to compensate for voltage and amperage. I have never MIG welded in my life and the several beads I ran looked nothing less than professional.

Too bad it costs $6500 XD

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back