The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

The last one I’m buying...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since then, it’s been tying up loose ends, etc.

I replaced my AC components and started mocking up my intercooler:
View attachment 666306

‘Took time out to replace my fuel filter with a billet one (and switched the lines to braided), mounted my fuel rail, installed my FIC 850’s and an aeromotive FPR. Also refinished my stock intake in black crinkle finish, fabbed up a bracket and mounted my FPR to the back of the intake:

View attachment 666307

Focused back on my intercooler piping. I had picked up a universal pipe set locally and really didn’t want to spend what people were asking to buy pre-bent sets. I feel like it turned out pretty dang good:
View attachment 666308

Mounted the 3” GM MAF and HKS blowoff valve at the same time:
View attachment 666314

View attachment 666309

Went ahead and swapped in the aluminum radiator with shroud and fans. It gave me a couple more much needed inches of space to run my J-pipe and intercooler pipes. Man, I’m glad that job is done!

View attachment 666311

Paused for a few days to work on getting my Dsmlink set up. Couldn’t for the life of me get it to connect. After checking everything, I finally threw in the towel and bought a new cable - and it worked!! I was able to connect and go through some of the most basic settings.

While I was waiting for the new cable, I installed my Innovate MTX-L and new boost and fuel pressure gauges. Check another thing off of the list - literally. There were so many things that needed to get finished that I made a list and taped it to the windshield.

View attachment 666310

I ended up not going the CTS-V caliper/rotor swap direction. The BBS wheels that I had were going to need a significant amount of work - repair, refinish, etc - not to mention buying new tires. When I ran the figures, it was cheaper to go with the Outlander brake setup and keep my stock wheels/tires. So, that’s what I did. Swapped in the bigger rotors, the outlander calipers, braided lines and the 3G master cylinder.

When I purchased the race car project, the PO had run AN 8 feed and return lines for the fuel. Major overkill for me. As he had never run the car, I took the lines and repurposed them. I relocated my trans cooler to the passenger front corner and ran braided lines to it:

View attachment 666312

Then did the same to the oil cooler, just on the drivers side:
View attachment 666313

And that pretty much brings this up to date. Still need to attach a few vacuum lines, etc, but honestly, I’m just about ready to start it. If I’m being truthful, I’m terrified that it’s going to grenade.

Any of you Midwest guys want to road trip and be moral support for when I start it? I’ll pay gas and beer…

😃

Bryan
Looks amazing man. Was the auto to manual swap difficult?

Guess it’s time for an update. The Talon is now my DD. Not sure if that’s cool, insane, or cool & insane.

After rebuilding the motor (stinkin balance shaft belt @$%#&%$#!!!!) and getting it running well, Kevin Jewer remote tuned it. Can’t say enough about the work he did. Car doesn’t like cold starts, but when it’s warm, it scoots!

One of these days I’ll rebuild the ported head setup and have it retuned.

Ended up getting a crack in the windshield, so this weekend Safelite came out and changed the windshield. I’m pleased with the job they did, and new glass is really nice.

Next up, I need to evacuate and charge the AC system. Still chasing a really weird clunking noise. Wish there was a DSM expert nearby - it has me baffled.
8C1F0F23-BF6C-4FBF-9574-9C3FFF69B7D8.jpeg
9384075F-7E32-4296-9D88-3FBA18379A4B.jpeg
D73ECD4D-FB09-47C1-9A0E-F8436B4DC03D.jpeg

Well, it was very bittersweet to see it heading out with a new owner, but it’s done - the Talon sold.

Congrats to Randy, I believe it’s in good hands!

Bryan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back