The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

The future of the eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Evo, was killed off. But with a ton of hate from fans, they decided to keep it going.

It was confirmed by Mitsubishi president Osamu Masuko, that it will be a Hybrid Diesel. And an 'update' to the S-AWC all-wheel drive system.

And, there is rumor that Mitsubishi realized that killing off every platform they had to make room for eco cars, was stupid...The Eclipse is in talks of returning. And to compete with way more badass 2 door sports cars.

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-mitsubishi-considers-reviving-eclipse-122235.html

we'll see if that ever happens...

..be fun if Mitsu did a retro 1G Eclipse ... like Dodge with the Challenger and GM with the Camaro. Ford has done well with the 'stang.

..from the link above ....
The storied Eclipse nameplate may not be dead, after all: a Mitsubishi executive reportedly hinted at the return of the Mitsubishi Eclipse sports car after its recent demise.

Greg Adams, Vice President of marketing and product planning at Mitsubishi Motors North America, hinted to Ward's Auto during a recent media event that the Eclipse may not be fully dead and gone, saying it "always comes back around sooner or later."

The case for bringing the Eclipse bask may be tough, especially as Mitsubishi puts its focus more and more on smaller, global, and efficient vehicles. It doesn't help that the Eclipse sold fewer than 7000 units through August of this year, shortly before Mitsubishi pulled the last unit off of the assembly line and auctioned it off for charity.

That's a spectacular fall from grace: in 2002, just after it starred in The Fast and the Furious opposite Paul Walker and Vin Diesel, the Eclipse sold more than ten times that amount. Sales totaled a solid 72,040 units.

In any case, Adams said Mitsubishi's tuned into the recently spiked demand for inexpensive sports cars. He's right: a new Eclipse could battle against future sports cars like Subaru BRZ and Scion (Toyota) FR-S, as well as newer hot hatchbacks like the Ford Focus ST.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-mitsubishi-considers-reviving-eclipse-122235.html#ixzz1kMEHMs00

Last edited by a moderator:
If they don't make it available with AWD it will ALWAYS be a bust.

Notice that the "fall off" of the eclipse was in 2002. Shortly after they stopped the turbo AWD model :O

I would love to see the return of a turbo awd or rwd model :D

In any case, Adams said Mitsubishi's tuned into the recently spiked demand for inexpensive sports cars. He's right: a new Eclipse could battle against future sports cars like Subaru BRZ and Scion (Toyota) FR-S, as well as newer hot hatchbacks like the Ford Focus ST.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-mi...#ixzz1kMEHMs00

SO TRUE.

But, they tried the Lancer RallyArt, turbo awd...and i guess it was a bust, as i have seen maybe 3 or 4 of em. Im my opinion, if i was going to buy a turbo lancer, id just fork out the extra $$ for the Evo and get the full package.

....now if that same platform was tossed into a totally different, sport car looking 2 door...id be ALL over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back