The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

The End Of DSM For Me

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostSpooLrTK

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2002
El Paso, Texas
Well its been fun, im officially selling my DSM as a rolling body and buying a old Dakota and a new Dirtbike and a GSXR 1300.
I finally got my car diagnosed after it broke up and they said its a bad bearing in the transmission right, well they said in order to fix the bearing they would have to replace everything on the way into the bearing because of how they are made, and they said it would run me a couple thousand. SO im sellin the car, im done with this, there is no way i can afford to swap out a brand new Transmission or replace it. Unless anyone knows of a better way im out, thnx yall, itz been fun :)

just buy another one... don't abandon dsm's forever..... get a 1st gen

i cant afford DSM break downs man, if itz so expensive that you gotta replace a whole friggin tranny over one god damn bearing than fukk that, im going back to bikes man, its so much easier to fix when something blows up :| im so grrrrrrrrrrr WTF, who designs something that has to be TOTALLY replaced over one fukkin bearing! god dammit, ive put so much money into that fukkin car and now itz all junked over one misrable bearing!

get a jdm galant vr4 transmission. they're cheap as all hell, and they're better than the stock tranny....just a thought. anyways, good luck to u, i hate to see someone drop out of the dsm world.

buy a low mileage 1st gen 1.8 and try not to mod it much, take good care of it and it'll be reliable as you want it to be.

naw man, i have to have a AWD Turbo, i have a 1.8 DL and it just blowz nutz compared to a turbo

what i want to know is, is it true that in order to replace that tranny bearing you have to replace everything to replace the bearing? I mean i cant fathom having to spend thousands just to replace a bearing! its stupid, if thats the case then i have to sell the car, i cant afford to replace anything in the thousands right now :( i mean, damn man, i cant afford a $500 tranny swap plus another 300-400 for a new tranny, thatz insane over a god damn bearing , grrrrrrrr, i cant belive this is happening, ive driven that damn car for barely a month and ive owned it for almost 2 years! :( totally stupid!

Originally posted by DSMWannaBe90
Part the car out, get some cash back, or have you already begun doing it?

-Mike

Probably whatz in the works comming up right now , look forward to seeing the Talon on DSMTrader :cry:

salvation, a friend in a good spot is offering to give me the money for a new tranny, how much does a 6bolt swap cost? I found some trannys for about 400ish, does it usually run 500 for a swap in? that was the price quote i got was 500 to drop a tranny in, is that a fair deal?

Sure there are some peeps from the board that live near you that wouldn't mind getting dirty for the cause and only charge you some beers for the task....buy the tranny and organize an install party....:thumb:

Such a loss.

No offense, but if you're going to try to sell your car, I HIGHLY reccomend you change that front end back to stock.

6-bolt swap will typically run you $1,200+ to swap in. Plus all the additional 6-bolt parts you need. So you'll most likely be over $2,000+ total.

Another route you can go, is to try and get a JDM engine. Most are 7-bolt and should drop in without any modifications. Pretty much a direct swap. EVO I - III are what people look for most, since they come with a Big 16g and 510 injectors.

Originally posted by Hobbes =^.^=
6-bolt swap will typically run you $1,200+ to swap in. Plus all the additional 6-bolt parts you need. So you'll most likely be over $2,000+ total.

Another route you can go, is to try and get a JDM engine. Most are 7-bolt and should drop in without any modifications. Pretty much a direct swap. EVO I - III are what people look for most, since they come with a Big 16g and 510 injectors.

Uhhhhh... what are you talking about? Most JDM motors are all SIX bolts. I know mine is.

You're not going to find an EVO engine for cheap cash at least at non-local places. I had one place quote me for 2k for an EVO1 motor with tranny/rear end for 2k. That was all fine and good, despite the 350 shipping fee.

Then those asses hiked the price to 3250 without shipping. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I don't reccomend A1JDM motors or whatever their name was.

Hmmm, Loop Pull?
Transfer Case Recall - SAFETY ISSUE! - 1990-1998 AWD only. There is nothing wrong with the transfer case - there *is* something wrong with the brass plug in the center of the transfer case yoke. This plug can leak. This can lead to eventual failure and complete drivetrain lockup at highway speeds! It is important that you read this information to get the recall done on your car. There is also information about how you can fix this problem yourself should your dealer jerk you around.

That sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me, i was just driving and it all locked up. What do you guys think about taking this to a dealer for the recall? I know mine never got it. Think that could be it? And would they denie me recall just cuz i have a body kit?

Anyways, Im keeping the talon, just trying to find the cheapest route to recovery ;)
....Comments?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back