The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

The day It all began...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStrateger

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2008
New Carlisle, Ohio
This is my first blog post, so I think an introductory history of my car is in order before I post any recent updates.

Summer 2007, I was 20 years old and looking for a new car to buy. With the help of my brother, I came across a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST . The interior was pretty clean but the guy wanted like $1700 for it, which sound ridiculous to me given to condition the car was in. The front bumper was ripped off in a towing accident, the door handles were missing, the engine didn't run but he “assured” me the engine was in great shape, and it was sitting on four spare tires. Long story short, I talked him down to 700, which still seemed high to me but whatever, I wanted a project and didn’t have to travel to get it. I went it picked it up the following weekend.

l_deaf00f0c3312f95d9832f94d1734609.jpg

l_b2fe959ccea12b174e5244dd73ae4944.jpg

l_5db270975c062449eb074a3f92f40a2d.jpg

When I took these pictures over four years ago, I skillfully left out the front end... I regret that now because it’s kind of hard to see the bumper is ripped off. After I got her home, I didn't really get around to working on it until the following year.

Summer 2008, I was now 21 years old. I’m legal to drink. (Drinking set me back a lot, don’t do it!) My plan of attack was to get the engine running, which I had no clue the condition of so that was a good starting point in my book. After a thorough inspection, I determined the fuel pump was bad. Replacing it was next on the list, and replacing it brought good news: the car started right up! Unfortunately, it bought bad news as well; the engine knocked horribly... worse sound I've ever heard in my life! This was a pretty bad day but at least I knew what needed to be done. It was time to put her away and start saving cash!

Summer 2009, I was 22 now. Out with the old, in with the...ehhh…nothing, just out with the old! I started tearing out the engine. This being my first engine removal, I didn't find it hard at all. It was fairly straight-forward; just take it out.

When I wasn't working on removing the engine, I was searching around the net for a replacement motor. I decided to go with one from tigerjapanease.com for around a grand shipped with less than 28k on it. I thought it sounded like a good deal so I ordered it. They delivered via full size semi-truck and unloaded it with a forklift jack. It was kind of funny seeing it parked out front of my house, unloading a small engine, which happened to be the only thing in his trailer. After inspection, I was pretty pleased with it. It looked like it was in great condition. It was wrapped in a saran wrap of some sorts when it arrived... No oil leaking anywhere, nothing seriously damage except a ding or two in the oil pan. I thought it was a grand well spent.

pict0439_resized.jpg

I don’t want to drag this on too much so I’ll wrap it up. I got a clutch, replaced the timing belt+ some gaskets, and removed the balance shafts, blah blah blah, nothing too exciting. I threw it together and drove her around for about a year, slowly fixing all the minor issues with it. In that year of driving it, I took care of maintenance. I replaced almost every sensor on the engine. The one that stuck out the most was the idle air control valve because it was almost two hundred dollars. I’m glad engine maintenance is out of the way.

dscf2223.jpg

blog2.jpg

blog3.jpg

Summer 2010, this is a little more recent. The car sat most of the summer with seized brakes. The only thing significant I did to it was a 2gb conversion and dye my carpet black.

blog4.jpg

I got the kit off a local DSM owner for $150.00

blog1.jpg

I had my friend Nathan, who was going to school for auto body and paint, paint them for me at his school. They turned out nice.

IMG_0489_edit.jpg

blog52.jpg

Winter 2010, disaster strikes! My other car was down so I had no choice but to drive the DSM in snow this winter, which really sucks, only her second winter seen to my knowledge. She usually sits happily in the garage and hibernates. Anyhow, I was riding with my friend on the highway and we were having a little fun, giving her some hell, when suddenly we hear a large clunk when going from fourth to fifth. It refused to go into any gear while on the highway. So, we pull over and shut it off. I started it up in second and drove it home… all the way… in second gear. Yes, this was VERY annoying to do. I go home, tear off the transmission to find that my clutch disc practically exploded.

blog62.jpg

Bah! I knew I shouldn’t have skipped out on the clutch! (I got it off ebay) Oh well, time for upgrades, I guess.

Summer 2011, I’m now 24 and a lot of upgrades are on the horizon. On that note, it’s time to end this History blog since this is now the present. Next update coming soon!

Shitty!

Get out of the money pit while you still can!

what do u mean?? are dsms that bad ??^^^

try an xtd stage 4 unsprung clutch off ebay.. its pretty good

viprez586;bt13664 said:
Shitty!

Get out of the money pit while you still can!

Actually, It's already fixed. I need to post a new blog for that though.

I will say it cost over two grand. :cry:

Guzman08;bt13665 said:
what do u mean?? are dsms that bad ??^^^

To some people I guess but I don't think so, I love this car. =)

You have to have a spot in your heart for your DSM. they will treat you right if you treat them right, most people just buy them, beat the shit out of them, and when they break people just give up and bi*** about it. Well IF YOU WANNA PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY!!

Nice find and build up

Alright I am contemplating the same motor. I want to buy a JDM motor from Tiger. Now on all JDM motors the Valve Cover is red which yours isnt? Did you repaint yours? And my biggest question is did you have any trouble putting your JDM in a USDM car. I have looked everywhere for a motor and can't find anything under 2,500 dollars. So I am wondering what all the differences are from the JDM to the USDM. I have plenty of help cause I have 4 other friends who have DSM Tuners as well. We all want to take on the task of rebuilding mine but this is the first for all of us to use a JDM motor. Another bad part is I don't have the original motor for the car. I bought it from a mechanics shop when the kid wouldnt pick it up. So i really have no useful parts from the previous motor. Which also I am putting in a 1G motor into a 2G eclipse. But everything else is swapped I just have to find a 1g motor for it. And I read your post where you said you got a JDM motor so I thought who better to ask than someone who did it recently. Thanks for listening and any help would be appreciated!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back