The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved The CV Axle on my Eagle Talon Tsi 1997 SNAPPED!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredRider

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2019
Clewiston, Florida
Hey, Guys so if you have been watching and keeping up with my threads, You've seen that I end up fixing my car and I'll drive it for about a month and then a new thing breaks! LOL. So I was coming from work on a Saturday night and I was pulling up to my driveway I heard a loud bang. I thought that my bumper had hit something on the ground; my whole steering control gave out, and I checked what it was. So I don't know if I should just change my whole suspension or just the CV AXLES on both sides? Any advice. THANKS!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cv doesn't control steering. What broke? All I see is a split cv boot.

I agree. Maybe the "spider" joint inside snapped though and sent something through the boot. But yeah it looks like the tie rods are fine so steering should have no issue. Passenger axle can be a pain in the ass to snap out but nothing a good pry bar cant fix. Up to you on replacing both or not. I would personally just replace both and be done with it instead of this go for a while and something breaks thing LOL. One less thing to worry about for a while.

Tip for the passenger side axle removal. If the "hub" section that goes into the trans doesn't have any grooves on it to pry with, MAKE SOME WITH A CUTOFF TOOL. Mine was a bi*** to get out and I modified a punch to get it out because it didn't have the factory grooves on the hub to pop it out with 2 screwdrivers or pry bars. Just want to say you can make your own on the beefy part to cut a slit in it to pry it out with.
And I don't see any broken parts myself so something else is up.
Pops

Perhaps if the cv joint failed, a piece of the cage ripped through the boot? With only one axle (d/s) working at that point, it would pull one way on the steering wheel. Had that happened at speed it could have been WAAAY worse: more broken parts or even a loss of control crash. Axles in general are not that costly, and once you figure out the replacement process on the one side, the other should be easier. (Though sometimes that rule of thumb doesn’t work out so well). Make sure that grease did not get on the brake rotor. Make sure that once you get that bad axle out, cut open the boot and see what broke. Post some photos of the carnage!

I will bet the ball joint broke. Turning into a driveway normally you'll be steering at a hard angle which is when ball joints tend to break. The bang would mean it was probably the straight control arm since that one would slam against the rim due to the load from the strut. Would also explain how the boot got ripped because the bottom of the strut would be riding on the axle against the boot.

If the boot is just ripped I'd just replace it with a new boot which will come with new grease. If you had a cv joint that was that worn that it was about to break pulling into a driveway I would think you'd have had a TON of vibration. I'l bet the axle is fine besides the ripped boot

I would check the other axel for sure ...and check the whole front suspension and replace what is worn for peace of mind ...nothing lasts forever
ok sounds good!

Tip for the passenger side axle removal. If the "hub" section that goes into the trans doesn't have any grooves on it to pry with, MAKE SOME WITH A CUTOFF TOOL. Mine was a bi*** to get out and I modified a punch to get it out because it didn't have the factory grooves on the hub to pop it out with 2 screwdrivers or pry bars. Just want to say you can make your own on the beefy part to cut a slit in it to pry it out with.
And I don't see any broken parts myself so something else is up.
Pops
yeah, I'm seeing lots of comments that it might be something else but I don't know what else I could check. I lost all control for turning my steering wheel. I'm still fairly new to all this so it's super hard to know exactly what broke. Do you know where I could get cv axles replaced?

Perhaps if the cv joint failed, a piece of the cage ripped through the boot? With only one axle (d/s) working at that point, it would pull one way on the steering wheel. Had that happened at speed it could have been WAAAY worse: more broken parts or even a loss of control crash. Axles in general are not that costly, and once you figure out the replacement process on the one side, the other should be easier. (Though sometimes that rule of thumb doesn’t work out so well). Make sure that grease did not get on the brake rotor. Make sure that once you get that bad axle out, cut open the boot and see what broke. Post some photos of the carnage!
I Will do that and thanks for the advice! Yeah I usually take the highway to my house and this night that it happened I decided to take the back road and if I wouldn't have done that I'd probably dead right now. :( I had a person I knew sadly lose his life a day before his graduation this weekend in a car accident.

I wouldn't drive it. As suggested you broke something other than the cv. Cv looks like a victim. Balljoint is a big suspect. Lift it up and fish around. This is not something to play with if you lost steering

I will bet the ball joint broke. Turning into a driveway normally you'll be steering at a hard angle which is when ball joints tend to break. The bang would mean it was probably the straight control arm since that one would slam against the rim due to the load from the strut. Would also explain how the boot got ripped because the bottom of the strut would be riding on the axle against the boot.

If the boot is just ripped I'd just replace it with a new boot which will come with new grease. If you had a cv joint that was that worn that it was about to break pulling into a driveway I would think you'd have had a TON of vibration. I'l bet the axle is fine besides the ripped boot
Yeah there are so many variables to what could be wrong with it that I might just fully replace my suspension and have everything new. I just wanted to get an idea on where to start.

I wouldn't drive it. As suggested you broke something other than the cv. Cv looks like a victim. Balljoint is a big suspect. Lift it up and fish around. This is not something to play with if you lost steering
yeah, that's what I'll do tomorrow morning and try to see what other damage I can find on it.

You are aware there is a ballpoint recall on these cars? I would check that. If it isn't honored the kits may still be available and it is the least expensive way to replace the front suspension control pieces. Both lower arms and new knuckles as a kit.

So “no steering at all” meaning The steering wheel wont turn, or it turns but has no effect on the front end? Those seem like distinct situations that would each have a distinct diagnosis. I also thought it was odd to lose a cv pulling into your driveway, thought it could be a high-torque/ tight turn situation that could be the last straw. I also agree that cv’s fail progressively for a while, making clicks and grumbles during specific driving maneuvers. I am surprised that some other steering or suspension component would dislodge violently enough in essentially a parking move that it would rip the outer boot. The axle will have to come out regardless, so give it a good inspection when you get it removed and the old boot pulled off. Might only need a boot and grease.

You are aware there is a ballpoint recall on these cars? I would check that. If it isn't honored the kits may still be available and it is the least expensive way to replace the front suspension control pieces. Both lower arms and new knuckles as a kit.
I didn't know that. Do I just search it up online? Sorry for my ignorance and stupidity of not knowing much.

So “no steering at all” meaning The steering wheel wont turn, or it turns but has no effect on the front end? Those seem like distinct situations that would each have a distinct diagnosis. I also thought it was odd to lose a cv pulling into your driveway, thought it could be a high-torque/ tight turn situation that could be the last straw. I also agree that cv’s fail progressively for a while, making clicks and grumbles during specific driving maneuvers. I am surprised that some other steering or suspension component would dislodge violently enough in essentially a parking move that it would rip the outer boot. The axle will have to come out regardless, so give it a good inspection when you get it removed and the old boot pulled off. Might only need a boot and grease.
The boot looked like it was hit. The grease wasn't slung out all over the suspension. Looks like something broke and in the process the cv made contact, broke the boot making a mess but the cv isn't the problem. Do you concur?

I didn't know that. Do I just search it up online? Sorry for my ignorance and stupidity of not knowing much.
Call the dealer. Have you VIN handy. Ask them about open recalls on your VIN.

It turns and it has no effect on the front end I'll post a video on it tomorrow if I can

Call the dealer. Have you VIN handy. Ask them about open recalls on your VIN.
would it be any dealer or a specific one because I bought the car off of a guy?

Mitsubishi dealer
Oops, sorry Paul.

Eagle was a Chrysler product.

If anyone is still watching the thread, I just changed the cv axles and rebuilt the whole front suspension!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back