The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

The cause of this type of grind?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my_gst95

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2002
Sacramento, California
I'm having some grind issues in 1st and 2nd on my 90GSX and I was wondering if you guys can help me figure out what part of the tranny it is:

1) At idle, if I ease it into either 1st or 2nd, it won't grind. But if I push the clutch down and immediatly put it into 1st or 2nd, it will 95% of the time grind. Normal driving from 1st to 2nd will grind also unless i really ease it and let the RPM drop by alot.

2) At idle, if I put it into 3rd, and then immediatly go into 1st (4th and go directly to 2nd) it won't grind at all. I guess it's still spining, and putting into 3rd/4th first stops the rotation for it to go into gear without grinding.

3) Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd doesnt 'usually' grind and if I rev match it will never grind.

I've tried adjusting the clutch rod under the steering wheel and it hasn't helped. It doesn't help my engagment point either since my clutch likes to grab really close to the floor.

Someone suggested that it might just be a bad clutch, or maybe even replacing the slave cylinder rod with the longer one sold at Dsmparts.com may help. Penzoil tranny fluid is in it now and I may go with the BG II if it would help any.

my_gst95

Originally posted by my_gst95

1) At idle, if I ease it into either 1st or 2nd, it won't grind. But if I push the clutch down and immediatly put it into 1st or 2nd, it will 95% of the time grind.
That's because the gearsets are still "coasting". If you snub against 4th first, it'll brake the gears and stop the grinding.
2) At idle, if I put it into 3rd, and then immediatly go into 1st (4th and go directly to 2nd) it won't grind at all. I guess it's still spining, and putting into 3rd/4th first stops the rotation for it to go into gear without grinding.
There you go.
3) Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd doesnt 'usually' grind and if I rev match it will never grind.
Which is just what you should do. Double-clutching helps even more.

I have the exact same problem however instead of grinding from 3rd to second I have like a tight notch to get over. I have to really PULL the shifter into second. Its like I am pulling it into a really tight slot. Anyone know what this problem is? or any fixes?

I had the exact same problem and fixed it very nicely by replacing the master cylinder. It also reduced pedal pressure by a lot. good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back