The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

The Beginning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM98GSX

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Ill start at the beginning and get you all caught up as much as possible. So got the car when somebody had already started on it. Originally had a upgraded turbo, crap cams, water meth kit, FMIC, exhaust, and a shep trans. Blew the first motor, put in new one. Blew the turbo (was already on its way out but guessing from crap in first engine blow too). Upgraded to GT35R. Blew second motor (thoroughly inspected and flushed turbo). Decided I was tired of wasting money (Ironic that I own a DSM I know). First actual upgrade I did myself besides the new turbo was increasing the bumper airflow to the intercooler. Then picked up a great deal on a DV/DT FMIC setup. And most everyone knows how the rest goes (if I upgrade this then ill need to do this, then this, etc, etc).

Increased Flow
View attachment 2921

DV/DT Upgrade
View attachment 2922View attachment 2923

Next was to figure out a gameplan. Got the car off the ground and pulled the block.
View attachment 2924View attachment 2925

Originally my idea was to build something that was reliable with the same amount of power plus some. Did some research and decided on a 2.3L with 2G head. Bought a friends old block and had a crap ton of machine work done. Then I looked at the block after it was tanked at the machine shop and said to myself....that looks like crap. Sooo, being the thinker I am, decided to look into powder coating. Bought my gun and oven and started practicing. And my block is now a good looking silver.
View attachment 2926

Ill upload some more info and pics later. There's a lot more left.

Just a few words of advise....build a PC booth and practice LOL. This was only my second piece I had done and was lucky it came out as good as it did. But its great knowing that I'm the one thats done it. Ive got a few more pieces Ive done and will upload the pics later.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back