1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

The 4g63

Posted by just-build-it, Jun 10, 2010

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. just-build-it

just-build-it Probationary Member

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    Apple Valley, California
    Hey guys, I just got myself a 98 GST for 400 bucks, and man this thing is BEAT! But i dont mind. I just pulled the engine to get it ready for a rebuild, and ran across something online that states a 4g63 is in the evo is well. MY question is what parts from the Evo's 4g63 engine can be interchanged with the GSt 4g63? Also if parts can be swapped what will i need to do to support the mod or make it work properly? This isnt my first build by FAR, but it is my first DSM so please dont beat me up to bad. Thanks:thumb:

2. Niteninja01

Niteninja01 Proven Member

Joined Nov 18, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    welcome to the site. and first off what are your goals for the car? you gotta figure out what you want out of the car.

3. ninja07

ninja07 Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2009
    antioch, Tennessee
    I've heard people running the evo pistons and o2 housing.:hellyeah:

272  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. lilbro717

lilbro717 Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2008
    San Dimas, California
    i believe pistons and valve springs. also the fuel pump from an evo works wonders

5. HareyCarey

HareyCarey Proven Member

Joined Apr 25, 2010
    Bluff City, Tennessee
    To my knowledge you can use the exhaust manifold, 02 housing, turbo and a few others from the evo IIIs. 2g owners can use the evo 8 ecu with some modding involved. Pistons from the evo 8 or 9 are pretty common as well as the above statement pertaining to the fuel pumps. Some of the stuff is bolt on, some isn't, but you need to do your research and get a goal and budget set for your car. If you are new to dsms then Tech Guide: 2G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners should get you started. Search, search, search. Best thing to start out doing on this site AFTER reading all the required material that the Creator and moderators and wisemen among others have given. Hope the link helps.

6. LiquidX

LiquidX DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 19, 2008
    Anywhere, Pennsylvania
    Just because the word "Evo" is in the part name doesn't mean it's superior. Same thing goes for "JDM". Using Evo pistons is good for a budget OEM style build however. No need to use an Evo ECU as the 98/99 ECU is flashable as well. The injectors are roughly 560cc so they are good for cheap mild power.

Anything else that could be interchangeable would be better from an aftermarkter part.

The Evo3 intake manifold and exhaust manifold are better overall and the Evo3 o2 housing can be hogged out to a full 3".

Street Build 3K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. HareyCarey

HareyCarey Proven Member

Joined Apr 25, 2010
    Bluff City, Tennessee
    Agreed. Yet, I think the Evolution stuff deserves a smidgen more credit. A lot of people have made some great budget power on evo stuff. But, aftermarket parts are, in some cases, designed better for the application.

8. just-build-it

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    Apple Valley, California
    Thanks everyone. All the info is greatly appreciated.
    :D
    Well i just got the engine out, head is off, and the pistons and walls look fine. It is my understanding that the stock block is good for 300whp easy, so would changing the pistons even be necessary? Also are the stock pistons cast, hypereutectic, or forged (or maybe somethin else)?? Ive never built a stock boosted engine, all my builds have been NA engines and i added some good ol BOOST!

The next question is how much boost can the stock ecu handle without a flash??
    i will be adding all supporting mods e.g fuel pump, 16g, FMIC, and that kinda stuff, but my last link is the ecu. This will be a moderate budget build, so the ecu flash and tune starts to hurt my pocket.:ohdamn:

Sorry for the short novel, but id like to cover all my points while the engine is out and i have the time. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

9. shredwin

shredwin Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2008
    Tampa, Florida
    and im 1 of those people:p, I just dont have the evo o2 housing...

2K  8

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.030 @ 120.54 · 2G DSM
  10. Zdrummer15

Zdrummer15 Proven Member

Joined Aug 19, 2009
    York, Pennsylvania
    If you're going with a 16g you won't need to upgrade your rods or pistons, but then again if you think you might ever go big in the future it might be better to do it now rather then later. As far as the tuning goes you can go the route of flashing it if you're on a budget or you can get ECMLink with an eprom ecu. If you don't go too big with the injectors you could go with an A'pexi AFC, but unless it's used I don't think it's worth the money anymore with all the better options out there.

11. just-build-it

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    Apple Valley, California
    hey guys well ive been in the hospital and finally got back around to this enigne LOL.
    Anyways i took the block to a machinist to have it bored. Is .02 over, and im lookin to make sure all my other specs are ok for this engine.
    PTW clearance?
    Piston ring gap clearance?
    What is recommended by u guys vs what the manual says.. I should be at .0012 to .0020 PTW and #1 ring @ .0098-.0138, #2 @ .015-.021, and oil @.0039-.0157. This is for stock bore tho so should my specs be any different??

Any input is greatly appreciated. This will be a Daily driven moderate build no more than 300whp in the future... all is stock as of now.

12. just-build-it

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    Apple Valley, California
    ^^^:confused:

13. TheSpyderMan

TheSpyderMan Probationary Member

Joined Sep 19, 2010
    Chester, Pennsylvania
    wow. that is really specific :applause:

14. AK Maniak

AK Maniak Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2009
    Butte, Montana
    I wish i knew what all those numbers meant LOL. But if your looking for about 300whp then a 16g plus supporting mods and a way to tune would easily be able to achieve that and still leave some room to grow

AK Maniak

679  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  15. quickspool4g63

quickspool4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2009
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Im runnen an evo3 manifold and 02 housing. Just a little hp gain for now but i plan on swapping it out for aftermarket stuff.

16. just-build-it

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    Apple Valley, California
    Thanks for the responses, but the reason im bein specific is cause i need specific answers!!:banghead:

Help anyone??

17. Troy Rossberg

Troy Rossberg Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2009
    Big Lake, Minnesota
    Yea with the 16g turbo you should be putting out close to 300hp

443  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  18. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    EVO I-III almost everything not suspension on body related is interchangeable. Some parts are upgrades. I.E. the exhuast mani, 02 housing, turbo, throttle body.

EVO IV-IX not a whole lot. You screw on the stock shift knob. The fuel pump is comparable to a walbro 190 LPH. You can use the pistons.

You cant really use a whole lot because the newer 4g63 is nearly a completely new design.

Street Build 2K  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM